PDA

View Full Version : Bronze Brushes w/ LaRue Stealth Uppers **UPDATE w/ Photo**

Captains1911
09-02-09, 12:50
I was under the impression that bronze bore and chamber brushes were safe to use with stainless steel barrels, but after reading something that suggests otherwise, I emailed LaRue, and here is what they said:

I wrote:
"I assume it's ok to use bronze bore and chamber brushes in the Stealth stainless steel barrels, correct? Thanks."

They replied:
"Sir,
No, use swabs or plastic.
Thanks,

Brian Fulton
LaRue Tactical
512-259-1585
www.LaRueTactical.com"

I can't believe that for $1200 they can't include a one page instruction sheet that contains this valuable information.

I have used a bronze chamber brush twice and ran a bronze brush through the bore approximately 10-20 times, how much damage do you think I have caused?

vicious_cb
09-02-09, 13:05
I was under the impression that bronze bore and chamber brushes were safe to use with stainless steel barrels, but after reading something that suggests otherwise, I emailed LaRue, and here is what they said:

I wrote:
"I assume it's ok to use bronze bore and chamber brushes in the Stealth stainless steel barrels, correct? Thanks."

They replied:
"Sir,
No, use swabs or plastic.
Thanks,

Brian Fulton
LaRue Tactical
512-259-1585
www.LaRueTactical.com"

I can't believe that for $1200 they can't include a one page instruction sheet that contains this valuable information.

I have used a bronze chamber brush twice and ran a bronze brush through the bore approximately 10-20 times, how much damage do you think I have caused?

Why would you think a LT stainless steel barrel is different from any other stainless steel barrel out there? Because it isnt.

You did no harm to your barrel. I would wouldnt use the chamber brush too often though.

tylerw02
09-02-09, 13:13
This comes up all the time on other forums. Many swear you should never use bronze, others see no problem with it---and we're talking extreme precision BR-grade barrels. If the barrel makers and trophy winners (on both sides of the bronze brush issue) can't agree, its doubtful you've hurt your barrel.

http://www.6mmbr.com/borebrushing.html

For what its worth, I've almost exclusively used a bronze brush my my 6.5-284 heavy gun with ZERO accuracy loss. I tried nylon initially, but couldn't get it clean and switched over to bronze. If it hasn't hurt my .1-.2 MOA shooting rifle, I doubt its going to hurt practical accuracy of an AR.

eternal24k
09-02-09, 13:44
I use a chamber brush, to be honest, It is only to recently I have read not to. I have not had any problems.
Tyler, what do you use for a bore guide?

tylerw02
09-02-09, 14:34
I haven't purchased a quality AR 15 bore guide yet, I've just been using a universal I picked up locally. It works alright and does the job, but it isn't ideal.

eternal24k
09-02-09, 15:33
I haven't purchased a quality AR 15 bore guide yet, I've just been using a universal I picked up locally. It works alright and does the job, but it isn't ideal.

Same, im in the market. I am trying to get my cleaning supplies, gear, and tools to catch up to the level of my rifles.

Captains1911
09-02-09, 18:51
Why would you think a LT stainless steel barrel is different from any other stainless steel barrel out there? Because it isnt.

You did no harm to your barrel. I would wouldnt use the chamber brush too often though.

I wouldn't think they are different, but then why would they say this?

tylerw02
09-03-09, 10:08
Some folks think it bronze brushes damage 416SS, some don't.

I suppose LT is in the school that thinks it will. Maybe its one of those situations where it gives them flexibility if their stuff doesn't perform where they can blame the user for using bronze? I honestly can't say. But what I can say is there are two schools of thought on it, as you can tell from the link.

tylerw02
09-03-09, 10:08
Same, im in the market. I am trying to get my cleaning supplies, gear, and tools to catch up to the level of my rifles.

Sinclair Int'l has some great units. I need to pick one up and ditch the universal.

Captains1911
09-13-09, 14:25
**UPDATE**

So there are some small scratches on the beveled rear part of the chamber as seen in this photo, undoubtedly caused by the stainless steel chamber brush bristles. There are also a few small scratches that I can see just inside the chamber terminating about 1/8" to 1/4" from the rear of the chamber. I will be using a nylon chamber brush from now on. Are these scratches anything I should be concerned about?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/Captains1911/DSC00785.jpg

Hound_va
09-13-09, 14:41
Nope. Upon firing, the bullet has no contact with that particular area. I suspect those particular scratches are from the twisted wire core of the chamber brush that can make contact with that area if you are not careful when inserting it into the chamber.

Impact
09-13-09, 14:43
that's a clean AR :)

tylerw02
09-13-09, 22:56
I thought you were using bronze and not SS?

Regardless, those scratches won't hurt because it isn't in the bore. I wouldn't recommend steel brushes.

Artos
09-14-09, 09:24

You will be happy w/ the lucas AR guide tyler and my guess is you already have the inserts....;)

supernt
09-14-09, 10:37
JP makes a very nice guide as well.

TY44934
09-14-09, 12:39
Problem is not with the hardness of stainless steel.

The problem is with the surface hardness of stainless steel that has bee repeatedly annealed by heating to extreme temperatures such as occurs during rapid fire.

Here is more info from someone who makes stainless barrels intended for rapid fire - albeit with handgun rounds:

http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=3zZ4oir3t50%3d&tabid=67&mid=445

As you can see, the manufacturer of the barrel, Mark LaRue, actually understands his own product and his advice is correct. Do not use a steel brush on stainless barrels. Polymer brushes are a better idea.

tylerw02
09-14-09, 13:06
Or use bronze ;)

skyugo
09-14-09, 13:11
i thought the word on nylon was that they tended to trap hard carbon particles in the plastic and scratch up your barrel and chamber over time.
hence-bronze. softer than steel and unlikely to hang on to particles the same way.

gruntinhusaybah
09-14-09, 23:54
sounds like there is a whole spread of differing opinions on the matter at hand.

from my very limited experience, what I saw the guys on the Marine rifle team using is a bore snake. They are using moly coated bullets so I don't know if that is a deciding facotor or not. They just run a snake through a few times

MarshallDodge
09-15-09, 00:03
I personally think you are over cleaning. I only use patches in the bores of my guns, AR or otherwise, and have not seen any accuracy issues.

My process is foam it with Wipe Out, let it sit for 5 minutes, and run a couple tight patches through it. Repeat if you really think it is necessary.