PDA

View Full Version : your opinions on drop leg mag pouches

wolverineSIERRA
09-02-09, 13:51
just wondering what your thoughts are on drop leg pouches either pistol or carbine

calicojack
09-02-09, 14:37

rob_s
09-02-09, 14:41
Unless you have so much shit on your torso that you can't get to a belt-mounted/height mag pouch or gun, they're of no use IMHO.

militarymoron
09-02-09, 15:05
disclaminer: hobbyist shooter here. purpose: drills at the range.
i've found them useful at times for carrying two mags. one, if i want to run a single row of mags on the front of a rig to reduce bulkiness (see pic below - i have plates and soft armour in the vest), or if i just want to wear just the same belt kit with pistol, pistol mags, and two mags (without switching to belt-mounted pouches) without any other rig.

i'm also short torso'd, and any belt mounted pouch isn't going to be too easy for me to access when wearing a vest, as sometimes, the bottom of the vest overlaps my belt. having a high-ride 'hip panel' provides some clearance.

i don't put more than two mags on the panel (fastmags shown below), and i wear it as high as possible. that's a modified TT mini-panel where i cut off the top strap and cut the top corners for comfort. this particular set up is very doable, in my very limited experience, and solid, with practically no flapping around in a dead run. i've also found it easy to access when prone, if i'm lying on top of the pouches on my front. YMMV.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/dump13.jpg

Failure2Stop
09-02-09, 15:59
I have used them, and in some circumstances I may use them again, but I generally advise against them. They are slower than a belt mounted mag or a well placed chest pouch. They are prone to slipping, shifting and twisting. They suck if you are working in and out of vehicles as they will tend to get caught on seatbelts at inopportune times. If you work in an area that features sand and small rocks/pebbles they will find their way in and irritate the living crap out of you especially since they heat your leg up, making you sweat and more susceptable to chafing.

If you do go with a subload for whatever reason do not place any more on it than 2 rifle mags, or 1 rifle and 2 pistol. Any more than that and the weight will cause it to shift during anything more rapid than geriatric pace. Wear it as high as you can. This will reduce the ability of the subload to shift. Use a good belt and secure the subload to it at least semi-permanemtly. As far as they go, the HSGI Mini-Modular Subload is my personal favortite. It is just big enough to get my max sub-load loadout (2 rifle or 1 rifle and 2 pistol) without any wasted footprint.

You really have to ask yourself why you want to put mags on your leg in the first place. If you are carrying so much stuff that there isn't room for 6 mags on your vest and belt, you might want to cut back a bit. If you are carrying more than 6 to 8 mags you really have to ask yourself what you expect to miss so many times and spend some more time on the range.

diving dave
09-02-09, 16:08
Just my 2 cents, I hate leg subloads. They do tend to flop around, and I dont like the tightness when dropping to kneeling or other positions. I used a drop leg holster for my 1911 in a Vitac carbine class, and due to all the crazy positions we were shooting in, I ended with a nice big bruise on my leg and hip. What I've been using at work is an ATS warbelt, with 2 pmags on it and a Safariland holstler with a 1.5 in. drop mount. No straps around my legs. Its more comfortable, and I can run with no issues. For more intensive stuff,ie. I need more mags, a Tac Tailor MAV fills the bill nicely.

NCPatrolAR
09-02-09, 16:32
I have used them, and in some circumstances I may use them again, but I generally advise against them. They are slower than a belt mounted mag or a well placed chest pouch. They are prone to slipping, shifting and twisting. They suck if you are working in and out of vehicles as they will tend to get caught on seatbelts at inopportune times. If you work in an area that features sand and small rocks/pebbles they will find their way in and irritate the living crap out of you especially since they heat your leg up, making you sweat and more susceptable to chafing.

If you do go with a subload for whatever reason do not place any more on it than 2 rifle mags, or 1 rifle and 2 pistol. Any more than that and the weight will cause it to shift during anything more rapid than geriatric pace. Wear it as high as you can. This will reduce the ability of the subload to shift. Use a good belt and secure the subload to it at least semi-permanemtly. As far as they go, the HSGI Mini-Modular Subload is my personal favortite. It is just big enough to get my max sub-load loadout (2 rifle or 1 rifle and 2 pistol) without any wasted footprint.

You really have to ask yourself why you want to put mags on your leg in the first place. If you are carrying so much stuff that there isn't room for 6 mags on your vest and belt, you might want to cut back a bit. If you are carrying more than 6 to 8 mags you really have to ask yourself what you expect to miss so many times and spend some more time on the range.

Sound advice.

noctis
09-02-09, 16:52
F2S covered it.

I absolutely hate them.

Heavy Metal
09-02-09, 19:31
They are a kludge and not a real solution.

If you need more ammo, put it in a small ruck.

Kimbo
09-02-09, 19:55
Having gear on your thighs sucks especially getting in and out of vics, and running. Keep it on the belt or chest rig....

BLACK LION
09-03-09, 13:09
Sound advice.

+2 .........

civilian
09-03-09, 13:11
Same opinion here. I even stopped carrying my Glock in my Safariland rig because I was getting hung up getting on and off helos and in and out of cars. The recent trend towards making the thigh rig single strap with the holster sitting almost way high would be the only way I'd do it in the future, and that would also apply to mag pouches, but in the latter case, belt or vest still seem to me to be the better solutions over a drop leg rig.

Having gear on your thighs sucks especially getting in and out of vics, and running. Keep it on the belt of chest rig....

panzerr
09-03-09, 16:55
Avoid placing anything on your legs if at all possible (pistols included). If you can't fit it on your chest, you don't need it.

For a very short while I carried three magazines on my left thigh when I was in Iraq. That didn't last long at all. When sprinting or moving with any degree of purpose they wiggled around on my leg, impeding movement. No matter how tight I secured the rig, it would still hinder movement. I tried a pistol on a safari drop leg and had similar results.

Stay away from putting anything on your legs. It may be tacticool, but it simply doesn't work when the shit hits the fan.

Jake0331
09-03-09, 19:17
If you MUST have a drop-leg, try to modify it to a high ride. The SKD version of the HSGI holster platform is a good example. Remember in '03/'04 when cats wore Blackhawk subloads that went nearly to the knee? Holy shit, man - too funny when they'd try to run!

jtb0311
09-05-09, 05:19
I don't like anything below the level of my belt. I don't even like cargo pockets.

Surf
09-06-09, 13:02
I have a buckle detachable drop leg. Its a Safariland leg platform that I attached 2 blade techs. The drop leg is not used when I am in full gear. I also have a single M4 mag pouch on my belt which is empty in full gear. IMO, the leg shroud like the Safariland or Blackhawk, does have about the most secure leg platform. Again not the most ideal, but for myself it does have its time and place.

Armati
09-07-09, 11:31
Generally avoid drop leg rigs. They really only have limited application in DA.

Thing that are good for DA are often not good for everyday.

I can't run well at all with a drop leg. I would much rather run with a small pack or bandoleer. If you have to walk for any extended period of time it will wear a hole in your leg. In the heat and dirt you will develop a nice boil where the drop leg rides.

You would be much better using a good gun belt and the Drop Offset mounts by Bladetech.

http://www.blade-tech.com/DOH-Tek-Lok-w-Hardware-pr-963.html

A lot of guys use these for pistols and Redimags.

http://www.blade-tech.com/Injection-Molded-AR-15-M16-Pouches-pr-974.html

panzerr
09-07-09, 11:36
You would be much better using a good gun belt and the Drop Offset mounts by Bladetech.

Agreed. I put one on my SHTF belt and it works like a charm.

http://sixty-six.org/x_drive/xbelt4.jpg

SIGguy229
10-02-09, 07:26
What kind of belt is that? Who makes it? Model?

panzerr
10-02-09, 08:53
What kind of belt is that? Who makes it? Model?

It's a CTOMS X-Belt PS. You can find it here: http://ctoms.ca

The drop and offset holster is a blade-tech DOH. It drops it enough to stay out of the way of armor and requires no straps on the leg. It's a sweet rig.

I'm typically not a big fan of combat belts because they tend to shift and ride up, but this belt does a pretty decent job of staying in place while moving about. I got this x-belt PS for something quick to throw on in case Chinese paratroopers start landing in my neighborhood but it is so handy I find myself taking it out for more and more range time.

MM did a great review of one on his website. It was his review that convinced me to give it a try. Check it out here:

http://militarymorons.com/equipment/firstline.html#ctoms