PDA

View Full Version : Building a "budget" AR as a gift - input needed

Pro2AInPA
09-02-09, 20:05
I'd like to build an AR for my father for his birthday this year. He is a pretty informal shooter, but loves to shoot my AR when we get together to hit the range. He prefers to shoot from the bench, so I'd be looking to build a bench rifle here.

The two components of the rifle where I know strictly trying to build it for as little as possible just won't fly are the barrel and trigger. So recommendations on a barrel and trigger that are decent but not Noveske/Geiselle expensive would be appreciated.

As far as the other parts (lower, upper, FF tube, furniture, etc etc) what are your recommendations?

I already have a scope that would be suitable.

Wallyg8r
09-04-09, 07:30
So far in my search for the same sort of project (mine is for my son-in-law), I've found Del-ton to be the lowest cost supplier of barrels. They also have a decent trigger that won't break the bank, although as yet I have no experience with it. I figure anything beyond a stock trigger has got to be a big improvement.

Roy

Pro2AInPA
09-04-09, 07:32
So far in my search for the same sort of project (mine is for my son-in-law), I've found Del-ton to be the lowest cost supplier of barrels. They also have a decent trigger that won't break the bank, although as yet I have no experience with it. I figure anything beyond a stock trigger has got to be a big improvement.

Roy

I was actually planning on using a WOA barrel, which is why I put the word budget in quotes . .. since they certainly aren't budget barrels! I just need to save some money on the lower and upper, the FF tube, etc etc.

Wallyg8r
09-04-09, 07:46
Gotcha. I misunderstood what you meant. The barrel and trigger are good places not to scrimp if your shooter knows what he's doing. Mine is brand new to the sport, so he has a long way to go before he'll notice the difference. Untill someone can manage a MOA hold, they're not going to get much out of a high precision barrel. A good trigger is another story; hard to learn good trigger control with a creepy trigger.

Pro2AInPA
09-04-09, 07:51
Yep good ol' Dad's been shooting for a long time and is a pretty damn good shot. He's just new to the AR scene. He loves shooting my ARs, so he might as well have one of his own.

Wallyg8r
09-04-09, 08:08
Yer a good son. Hopefully, if I treat my sons right they'll end up building me a rifle someday.

Roy

Adam_s
09-04-09, 08:38
What is your target price?
You can pick up a fully built BCM rifle for a tick over $1k from Grant @ G&R, and have one of the best AR's around. The DD M4 or Xv Carbines are also good deals/steals.

Of course, if you are looking to BUILD the thing, well...

Spike's Tactical is running a sale on lowers. http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=104_65&products_id=52
$89.95, and they enjoy a rep of being "good people"

Furniture: If it's not urgent he have rails, consider just a set of handguards. That will save a good bit of money right there. MOE grips are good, and fairly cheap. If you want FF, look at the PRI and YHM foreends which are just tubes, not actual rail systems, and also less than a good set of rails.

Trigger: I've HEARD good things about Bill Springfield's triggers. A LOT cheaper than the high end drop in ones as well. Might want to consider that before laying down the coin for something else.

Good luck with this man. I wish I was at a point in life where I could do this for my dad. I've just got another 2 years left of grad school before I have any free $$$.
-Adam

Armati
09-05-09, 22:36
Have you looked at the Sarco parts sets? I have no idea where these parts come from the price is right.

crusader377
09-08-09, 21:06
I would look at the S&W MP 15A at GR Tactical. If my memory serves they were around $850. I think you would have a hard time building a better rifle for that price.

sewvacman
09-09-09, 07:44
Right now spikes has lowers for $90 and uppers for $125. I would get a stag lpk and send the trigger to Bill Springfield. Just my 2c.

ETA: Basically I agree w/ AdamS

hillmillenia
09-10-09, 22:33
Bud's had Charles Daily rifles for 792.00...good place to check for prebuilt and like someone said, You'll be hard pressed to build one for less. Also Stag (CMT) has a decent product. I've had a Delton kit on order now for 3-months and counting and I hear I'll need to dig in and plan on waiting a while longer, 605 for the kit and 160.00 for the lower plus the transfer fee...:rolleyes:

Matt2124
09-11-09, 04:15
I'd like to build an AR for my father for his birthday this year. He is a pretty informal shooter, but loves to shoot my AR when we get together to hit the range. He prefers to shoot from the bench, so I'd be looking to build a bench rifle here.

The two components of the rifle where I know strictly trying to build it for as little as possible just won't fly are the barrel and trigger. So recommendations on a barrel and trigger that are decent but not Noveske/Geiselle expensive would be appreciated.

As far as the other parts (lower, upper, FF tube, furniture, etc etc) what are your recommendations?

I already have a scope that would be suitable.

First off good on you bro for doing this for our father. A group of my friends and I are kinda doing the same thing for a friend who is about to graduate, but pooling our money has helped us get the project off and running very easily.

Our plans are to buy a complete LMT lower, A stripped BCM upper, Troy DI Rails, and a BCM BCG and BCM charging handle. Not building a bench rifle but provided all things make it on time and no one backs out it should be a good rifle for a reasonable price ... I think a shade over 1200 if everything works out right. I wish I could point you in the direction of good sales/cheep deals/ and awsome results but I don't have the contacts, or resources of others here. I only go shopping when I need something so I have no idea who is selling what and at what price until I start looking.

Once again your dad is a lucky father, and good luck on your project.

Matt

Failure2Stop
09-11-09, 17:33
Sounds like a fun little game-
How about a "no more than" price so we don't just pick a bunch of crap though.
I know that there are several members here that can get a decent gun assembled for less than the cost of most middle-of-the-road companies.
If I had no concern for robustness or reliability I could probably assemble one for around $650, but I wouldn't want to use it for anything other than as a door-stop.

So, as I read it the criteria are:
decent trigger
decent precision
oriented toward bench-shooting
Railed upper (I assume, since you mentioned an optic)

So far you have:
Optic (mount?)

How about some more detail-
Collapsible stock/A1/A2?
Barrel length pref?
Iron sights or no, or doesn't matter?
Sling attachment point pref, or doesn't matter?
When you say that he prefers to shoot off a bench do you mean that he is a precision oriented guy and to make the gun benchrest oriented, that weight is not a big issue, and/or that it will basically be a range toy?

Warg
09-11-09, 19:56
Very difficult to build for under $1K with or without a FF handguard, but here are my suggestions for a pretty robust carbine using Spike's lower and without sights or an optic mount.

Upper with FF HG:

DD 16" M4 HP/MPI barrel $170
A4 flat top upper receiver, M4 feed ramps complete (BCM) $94
MI - T10 FF Handguard $143
VLTOR low profile GB $50
Charging handle $24
crush washer $2
gas tube + roll pin $14
A2 flash hider $14
Complete bolt carrier group, auto (LMT) $130

Subtotal $641

Lower

Spikes lower $90
CMMG, Stag or RRA LPK $70
BCM mil spec 6 pos stock kit with RE/castle nut, etc. $83
Bill Springfield trigger work $35

Subtotal $278

Upper w/o FF HG

DD 16" M4 HP/MPI barrel $170
Barrel nut $9
HG CAP $3
Delta ring assembly $11
F FSB $30
Magpul MOE HG $30
A4 flat top upper receiver, M4 feed ramps complete (BCM) $94
Charging handle $24
crush washer $2
gas tube + roll pin $14
A2 flash hider $14
Complete bolt carrier group, auto $130

Subtotal $531

Total w/FF HG: $919
Total w/o FF HG: $809

The problem with my non-FF HG upper recommendation is propely installing the FSB on a stripped BBL. If you cannot do this yourself and have to send to, say, Adco, that adds another $90.

sewvacman
09-12-09, 10:25
Gfelber- Where are you finding a DD barrel for $170? I keep seeing $300+

Warg
09-12-09, 10:30
Gfelber- Where are you finding a DD barrel for $170? I keep seeing $300+

See my thread on this newly listed item at Brownells:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37710

Doubt it is hammer forged, but it's a heck of a deal nonetheless.

G-

rrpederson
09-17-09, 10:05
personally, i have found that stock equipment usually fits the bill of "budget." i have been hearing about guys picking up rock river guns for about 950 to 1000 american. if the rifle has a stage 2 trigger kit in it, i would say that it would meet your requirements. if it doesnt have to be a crazy custom build, than maybe look into trying to find a box stock rock river. just my $.02.

Thomas M-4
09-17-09, 11:43
I would look at the S&W MP 15A at GR Tactical. If my memory serves they were around $850. I think you would have a hard time building a better rifle for that price.

+1 The S&W would be very hard to beat you get good quality at a good price. You get anycheaper than that you take a risk on having to fix it out of the box or a little later down the road. JMHO