PDA

View Full Version : Choice of AR Lowers

Blitzm4
09-03-09, 11:00
I am new to the AR platform. There are so many options and modifications you can make to these that it kind of confuses me. All that I do know is I am interested in purchasing one. I know to start with a lower first, then go from there to an upper.

What choice of lowers do you recommend? I have read so much over the last few months and weeks I feel overloaded. Here are my choices. Spikes Tactical lower or a POF Gen 1 or Gen 2 lower. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

I have looked into several places to purchase the other parts from. Apparently, an outstanding place to deal with is BCM or Bravo Company. The other is Rainier. Upper choices for me are 2. The first choice would be Rainier Arms 16 Recon Upper w/DD Barrel or the Ultra Match 16 Upper version. Second is the LaRue Tactical Stealth upper with 16 inch barrel and 12" DD rail.

So how are my choices? Thanks to sites like this one I have gotten off to a quick start and actually know a little.

eagle5
09-03-09, 11:34
Do you have the option to purchase a complete rifle?

If so, I would look no further than Daniel Defense's offerings in the M4 (http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=141) and XV (http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=149) or BCM's in the Mid-Length (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16M_RIFLE&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBCOM) or M4 (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16M4_RIFLE&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBCOM), all of which can be had from G&R Tactical (http://www.gandrtactical.com/).

bkb0000
09-03-09, 11:42
in my opinion, LMT complete lowers are the best value on the market, now that you can't buy LMT LPKs anymore.

You can get them for just over $300, complete with M4 stock, or just over $400 with a SOPMOD. either way, you get one of the best LPKs, in a complete lower for better than you could source it yourself.

then build the upper to suit your desires.

RojasTKD
09-03-09, 11:52
For the lower wither one of those or most other lower out there will do just fine. Just find one you like at a price you like and you should be fine.

I have one of these and it a great lower at a good price:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Aero_Precision_AP15_AR15_Multi_Caliber_Lower_Receiver.html

As for the Upper BCM is Bravo Company (BCM = Bravo Company Machine) is a great choice. Aside from Rainier check out gandrtactical.com. Their are an active member here and a favorite of many. G&R also carries BCM and recently had a complete BCM mid-length 16" rifle at a very competitive price.

AS for the two upper you mentioned i think either will serve you well. If you looking for a tack driver uber accurate set up consider an 18" upper. Otherwise I think BCM will be a more economical choice and a quality rifle.

hammonje
09-03-09, 12:34
I like the LRB lower. The engraving is very high quality and it looks great. You can get them at peach state guns in Covington, GA for $90.

Buddy just built one with a BCM mid-length upper and it is a high quality rifle.

Stag LPK
Giessele 2-stage trigger
BCM BCG and charging handle
Troy rear BUIS

All together a very nice rifle.

Beebo
09-03-09, 12:45
I would definitely recommend heading over to the G&R Tactical dealer section of the forum and checking out Grant's offering of lowers, or just head to his website and check out the complete BCM lower, or the BCM lower with Magpul furniture. My latest build has one of the Noveske seconds lower with Grant's LPK. Top notch. Best of luck.

FVC3
09-03-09, 14:20
Any good quality lower will do - the upper is the heart of the carbine.

HOWEVER, DD lowers offer a functional upgrade few, if any, others do -a flared magwell for faster mag changes.

Iraqgunz
09-03-09, 14:57
A quality lower from BCM or LMT is probably the best bet right now.

RogerinTPA
09-03-09, 15:25

Agreed, and they are the most inexpensive and complete quality lowers, unless you like to roll your own and build one.

decodeddiesel
09-03-09, 15:53

I agree as well.

I went the build your own route with an LRB lower with a G&R tactical parts kit. While everything is "in spec" and it functions 100% it will not drop older 20 round and 30 round P-mags free. :mad:

In retrospect I should have just gotten another LMT lower and called it a day.

Blankwaffe
09-03-09, 15:57
in my opinion, LMT complete lowers are the best value on the market, now that you can't buy LMT LPKs anymore.

You can get them for just over $300, complete with M4 stock, or just over $400 with a SOPMOD. either way, you get one of the best LPKs, in a complete lower for better than you could source it yourself.

then build the upper to suit your desires.

+1
Go with the SOPMOD stock lower right off the bat and save some money.
Here's one in stock.
http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product/1352/lmt-complete-lower-assembly-w-sopmod-stock.cfm

PrivateCitizen
09-03-09, 16:22
I am quite fond of the new T15s I just picked up from Tactical Innovations. A total steal at $109 direct. Rainier Arms carries them also.

Same quality as my Defender 2000 … love the laser engraving and simple markings.

Anyway, I finished it with a new Magpul ACS and MOE grip (and LPK via DCM). Springfield trigger eventually.

Decided I am having one of them set up as an SBR even.

I really like the POF items too, but in the end I just decided the billet was just a bling thing (my take only). I bought these up to be for real-world use, not as show pieces.

japps
09-03-09, 17:52
blitz,

I had the same questions/feeling overwhelmed. For the most part, as long you stay away from cast...any billet or forged will work just fine. The lower is just a shell that holds the trigger and serial number. However...I still opted to get the POF gen I 416 stripped lower. Yeah, it was more than Spikes & others...and really isn't any better functioning, but I like the look...so I paid more ($225) for my lower. But then this is my first build...so I wanted what I liked.

Killjoy
09-03-09, 19:51
Quite frankly, I haven't had any problems with two Bushy lowers I've been using for years, 100% functional. I've never had any problems with mags dropping free from old GI surplus to C-Products to PMags. My third lower was built from an Essential Arms stripped lower and a DPMS LPK, an nary a problem with it as well. I think super-expensive bells & whistles lower are kind a waste of money; start with a stripped lower and you can put whatever you want on it.

Blitzm4
09-04-09, 12:36
Thanks for all the information. The link to G&R Tactical is a great one. I have already added it to the growing list. I guess I should keep it simple. This will probably be only lower I will purchase. Most likely this will be the only AR rifle I will ever have.
What do you think of the Spikes Tactical lowers? They are very nice looking. I have talked to Spikes a couple of times. They are very responsive to emails, etc.. I was looking at Bravo lowers originally. I could get a customized lower from them. I imagine they do that, or G&R may do this. I just want a few items on the lower that are extra, but there again I do not have to have them. I can add them later.

As for the uppers: Do you think the built in front site post is better than a complete flat top with rails? Then you would add your sights, and optics eventually. Thanks again. Now more confused.

Reddevil
09-04-09, 19:08
As for the uppers: Do you think the built in front site post is better than a complete flat top with rails? Then you would add your sights, and optics eventually. Thanks again. Now more confused.

it's all a matter of preference IMO. Depends on what you want to do with it.

theJanitor
09-04-09, 19:12

+1 i just bought another LMT lower this morning.

hammonje
09-04-09, 19:24
it's all a matter of preference IMO. Depends on what you want to do with it.

Agreed, but I think it wise to have one portion of the irons permenant. The rear is a mounted backup and your optic is mounted. What happens if you don't even possess a front sight post. God luck aiming the freakin' thing!!!!!! Probably save a little weight on the practical side of things too.

Integral FSB, Troy rear BUIS, and an Aimpoint. Hard to go wrong and your rifle will be wicked accurate, especially with an absolute co-witness.