PDA

View Full Version : New Lower Neccessary?

bobafett
09-03-09, 20:12
If I can get a NFA approval, and can have a class 3 license do I need a new lower to have a full auto M4 or can I use my Bushmaster?

Does changing over to a full auto require mods to the upper as well? BCG ? Again, a Bushmaster.

Thanks forthe info, sorry to plague this forum with so many questions... Just trying to learn :cool:

m4fun
09-03-09, 21:43
Disclaimer - Looked into this - not the easiest and over time, I could be off.

Class 3 is typically a dealer designation. Means you can buy/sell MGs, Silencers, etc.

You need to start with a type 07 FFL(manufactiring license) then a Class 2 license for manufacture of MGs/Silencers, etc. (in your case convert a lower to full auto)

Now the hard part for both the C2/07 or Class 3 - convice the ATF/local police you can do this as a legitimate business. That means have commercial space somewhere with office hours, tax license, $500 a year to ATF, etc

You also better not be doing this for yourself, and have some Mil/LEO dept letter head for your works. You dont deal, you lose your license and your toys.

Better to suck it up and buy a $14K Colt M16 or a $12K RDIAS if you really want flexibility of moving it from host to host(as long as you de-machinegun your host after you remove sear)

Good luck!

m4fun
09-03-09, 21:51
OK - I answered the first part.

If you have a registered lower or a RDIAS, you natually need to ensuer you have a full-auto/burst LPK. Nothing special on the upper, except a full-auto bolt carrier. It seems ATF loosened up a few years ago and most manufacturers are supplying these, what used to be a vertboten item.

The AR/M16 platform really rocks for interchangability. So much so, you can get in trouble buying surplus full auto parts at gunshows.

Lots of the differences here:

http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/registeredreceiver.htm

bobafett
09-03-09, 22:10
Thanks, you answered my questions.... Too much hassle for my needs.

I couldn't get my FFL when I rented because my landlord denied me permission... I own my own home now but still $500 a year to the ATF.... I thought that was a one payment and your done.

No, Bobafett will continue on in semi auto mode for now :cool: