PDA

View Full Version : building a SPR

jwfuhrman
09-04-09, 07:24
So I have a 16in Bushmaster with an A2 stock. Its a Flattop upper, already have Troy's MRF-RX 13.8in rail on there, a Nicon(sp?) Fullfield II 3-9x40 scope and Magpul MOE grip. It shoots good right now, but I want it to be my 100yrd plus gun.

So my question for you guys it, what upgrades would you recommend to the current gun I have. I was thinkin probably a 1/7 barrel but anything else? something over 16in?

Adam_s
09-04-09, 08:21
JW:
To me, an SPR is more than just a 100yd gun. However, since you realize you need a new barrel, so long as everything else is in spec, you have a decent starting point.

I would look into a new trigger for certain. Either get Bill Springfield to work yours over, or consider dropping the coin on a better on.

Barrel: I would personally ponder switching to a longer barrel (18" seems to be about the norm)

Stock: The A2 will certainly work for what you want. If you are feeling really foxy, you could upgrade to a Magpul PRS, but that would be optional.

If you are shooting from a bench, 20rnd Pmags and a Bipod would be greatly helpful.

If you want, you could get up with Centurion Arms, and order one of their uppers. They are built around the same barrel as the Mk12 Mod 0, and supposedly are insanely good.

However, this is all just based on my reading, and NOT prior experience. There are those here who have a lot more time behind the trigger than I do, and would be more than happy to lead you right.

rifleman2000
09-04-09, 08:53
When you say 100 yard plus gun, I would ask specifically, 100 yards plus what? A standard mil-spec M16A2/AR15/M4 with iron sights and a trained shooter can engage accurately out to 500m. That is certainly a 100 yards plus rifle. In fact, 100 yards plus pretty much describes every rifle in existence.

Of course the assumption is that you want a precision weapon, but to what degree of precision and out to what range? Sub MOA? 500-700m? Then you are looking at very specific needs in terms of barrel, bolt, optics, ammuntion, etc.

My set up is a 6920 with a KAC rail, Aimpoint, GG&G BUIS, and of course a light. That is a setup I can use for CQB and for shots out to 500m with equal confidence.

jwfuhrman
09-04-09, 10:09
well I have a 10.5in Novseke barrel'd SBR that I use as my CQB gun, so this rifle is going to be my 100-400yrd gun, mostly for Varmit shooting. Maybe even use it as a 3gun rifle. Im pretty happy honestly with the accuracy Im getting at 250yrds right now with the stock bushy 1/9 16in barrel but since Im wanting to go with 1/7 barrels so I can use a wider range of ammo. Ive been shooting NRA High Power matches for the last 12yrs, so I know what can be done with a Iron Sighted rifle(have a 3rd AR, its a Bushy 20in National Match A2 rifle that Ive had for the last 8yrs).

This is primarily going to be my Varmit gun. Im wanting to go to Texas next year for the Run and Gun, and Id be using this rifle there, and Im also running a similar competition here next week with the rifle as it is. Im already running 20rd PMags, but the bipod is a good idea, who makes good rail mounted bipods?

I was looking into the PRS stock but those are kinda salty on price, so thats a down the road upgrade. Im deffinately thinking barrel is the first Im going to pick up. Who recommends what?

rifleman2000
09-04-09, 10:15
For a bipod, I would use a Harris. They have adapters for rails. I don't know enough about anything else to offer any help.

http://www.harrisbipods.com/

Sam
09-04-09, 10:30
Sounds like a new barrel would be a good start for you. I just assembled my first SPR and I've had my name on 3 waiting lists for the barrel (18", rifle length gas, stainless):

White Oak Armament - quoted me 20 weeks wait. Yep that's right 20 weeks.
Centurion Arms - Monty said he expected some barrels in shortly but no specific time frame.
JTAC supply - just happened to have a Douglas barrel in stock. I decided to go with that barrel and asked Monty to drop me off the waiting list.

I got it fully assembled and will give it a work out on Saturday.

jwfuhrman
09-04-09, 16:54
Sounds like a new barrel would be a good start for you. I just assembled my first SPR and I've had my name on 3 waiting lists for the barrel (18", rifle length gas, stainless):

White Oak Armament - quoted me 20 weeks wait. Yep that's right 20 weeks.
Centurion Arms - Monty said he expected some barrels in shortly but no specific time frame.
JTAC supply - just happened to have a Douglas barrel in stock. I decided to go with that barrel and asked Monty to drop me off the waiting list.

I got it fully assembled and will give it a work out on Saturday.

let me know how that Douglas barrel works for you.

Sam
09-05-09, 21:11
I'm very satisfied, very happy with the Douglas barrel and the SPR project. I was shooting GA Arms "Canned Heat" reloads (55gr.), got 2" groups at 100 yds. I didn't get a chance to go to 200 due to the setting sun and was tired from zeroing my friend's gun. :)
Next time I'll try to do better at 100 and will go out to 200. Might even break out the high dollar Hornady and Black Hills ammo.