PDA

View Full Version : AP Publishes pictures of dying Marine...

TOrrock
09-04-09, 17:20
Those arrogant sons of bitches.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090904/pl_politico/26759

Gates: AP decision 'appalling'
Mike Allen Mike Allen
Fri Sep 4, 10:38 am ET

Defense Secretary Robert Gates is objecting “in the strongest terms” to an Associated Press decision to transmit a photograph showing a mortally wounded 21-year-old Marine in his final moments of life, calling the decision “appalling” and a breach of “common decency.”

The AP reported that the Marine’s father had asked – in an interview and in a follow-up phone call — that the image, taken by an embedded photographer, not be published.

The AP reported in a story that it decided to make the image public anyway because it “conveys the grimness of war and the sacrifice of young men and women fighting it.”

The photo shows Lance Cpl. Joshua M. Bernard of New Portland, Maine, who was struck by a rocket-propelled grenade in a Taliban ambush Aug. 14 in Helmand province of southern Afghanistan, according to The AP.

Gates wrote to Thomas Curley, AP’s president and chief executive officer. “Out of respect for his family’s wishes, I ask you in the strongest of terms to reconsider your decision. I do not make this request lightly. In one of my first public statements as Secretary of Defense, I stated that the media should not be treated as the enemy, and made it a point to thank journalists for revealing problems that need to be fixed – as was the case with Walter Reed."

“I cannot imagine the pain and suffering Lance Corporal Bernard’s death has caused his family. Why your organization would purposefully defy the family’s wishes knowing full well that it will lead to yet more anguish is beyond me. Your lack of compassion and common sense in choosing to put this image of their maimed and stricken child on the front page of multiple American newspapers is appalling. The issue here is not law, policy or constitutional right – but judgment and common decency.”

The four-paragraph letter concluded, “Sincerely,” then had Gates’ signature.

The photo, first transmitted Thursday morning and repeated Friday morning, carries the warning, “EDS NOTE: GRAPHIC CONTENT.”

The caption says: “In this photo taken Friday, Aug. 14, 2009, Lance Cpl. Joshua Bernard is tended to by fellow U.S. Marines after being hit by a rocket propelled grenade during a firefight against the Taliban in the village of Dahaneh in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan. Bernard was transported by helicopter to Camp Leatherneck where he later died of his wounds.”

Gates’ letter was sent Thursday, after he talked to Curley by phone at about 3:30 p.m. Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell said Gates told Curley: “I am asking you to reconsider your decision to publish this graphic photograph of Lance Corporal Bernard. I am begging you to defer to the wishes of the family. This will cause them great pain.”

Curley was “very polite and willing to listen,” and send he would reconvene his editorial team and reconsider, Morrell said. Within the hour, Curley called Morrell and said the editors had reconvened but had ultimately come to the same conclusion.

Gates “was greatly disappointed they had not done the right thing,” Morrell said.

The Buffalo News ran the photo on page 4, and the The (Wheeling, W.Va.) Intelligencer ran an editorial defending its decision to run the photo. Some newspapers – including the Arizona Republic, The Washington Times and the Orlando Sentinel – ran other photos from the series. Several newspaper websites – including the Akron Beacon-Journal and the St. Petersburg Times – used the photo online.

Morrell said Gates wanted the information about his conversations released “so everyone would know how strongly he felt about the issue.”

The Associated Press reported in a story about deliberations about that photo that “after a period of reflection,” the news service decided “to make public an image that conveys the grimness of war and the sacrifice of young men and women fighting it.

“The image shows fellow Marines helping Bernard after he suffered severe leg injuries. He was evacuated to a field hospital where he died on the operating table,” AP said. “The picture was taken by Associated Press photographer Julie Jacobson, who accompanied Marines on the patrol and was in the midst of the ambush during which Bernard was wounded. … ‘AP journalists document world events every day. Afghanistan is no exception. We feel it is our journalistic duty to show the reality of the war there, however unpleasant and brutal that sometimes is,’ said Santiago Lyon, the director of photography for AP.

“He said Bernard's death shows ‘his sacrifice for his country. Our story and photos report on him and his last hours respectfully and in accordance with military regulations surrounding journalists embedded with U.S. forces.’”

The AP reported that it “waited until after Bernard's burial in Madison, Maine, on Aug. 24 to distribute its story and the pictures.”

“An AP reporter met with his parents, allowing them to see the images,” the article says. “Bernard's father after seeing the image of his mortally wounded son said he opposed its publication, saying it was disrespectful to his son's memory. John Bernard reiterated his viewpoint in a telephone call to the AP on Wednesday. ‘We understand Mr. Bernard's anguish. We believe this image is part of the history of this war.

The story and photos are in themselves a respectful treatment and recognition of sacrifice,’ said AP senior managing editor John Daniszewski.

“Thursday afternoon, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates called AP President Tom Curley asking that the news organization respect the wishes of Bernard's father and not publish the photo. Curley and AP Executive Editor Kathleen Carroll said they understood this was a painful issue for Bernard's family and that they were sure that factor was being considered by the editors deciding whether or not to publish the photo, just as it had been for the AP editors who decided to distribute it.”

The image was part of a package of stories and photos released for publication after midnight Friday. The project, called “AP Impact – Afghan – Death of a Marine,” carried a dateline of Dahaneh, Afghanistan, and was written by Alfred de Montesquiou and Julie Jacobson:

“The U.S. patrol had a tip that Taliban fighters were lying in ambush in a pomegranate grove, and a Marine trained his weapon on the trees. Seconds later, a salvo of gunfire and rocket-propelled grenades poured out, and a grenade hit Lance Cpl. Joshua ‘Bernie’ Bernard. The Marine was about to become the next fatality in the deadliest month of the deadliest year of the Afghan war.”

The news service also moved extensive journal entries AP photographer Julie Jacobson wrote while in Afghanistan. AP said in an advisory: “From the reporting of Alfred de Montesquiou, the photos and written journal kept by Julie Jacobson, and the TV images of cameraman Ken Teh, the AP has compiled ‘Death of a Marine,’ a 1,700 word narrative of the clash, offering vivid insights into how the battle was fought, and into Bernard's character and background. It also includes an interview with his father, an ex-Marine, who three weeks earlier had written letters complaining that the military's rules of engagement are exposing the troops in Afghanistan to undue risk.”

DJK
09-04-09, 17:39
Julie Jacobson and her boss Santiago Lyon are sick ghouls!!! Rest in peace Lance Cpl. Bernard.

SeriousStudent
09-04-09, 18:14
To LCpl Bernard: Fair winds and following seas, young Marine. May your sacrifice for our nation always be remembered.

For his family, friends and fellow Marines, I offer prayers that you receive peace and strength.

And to the SecDef: Sir, you are the NCA. Get on the radio, and call in a fire mission. Battery fire on those those arrogant bastards at the AP that will not respect a grieving family's wishes.

I am also not opposed to just having a few B-1B's loiter over their building for the day, just to drive the message home.

chavez_e_chavez
09-04-09, 18:27
after his family did ASK not to post the pics.....poor journalism and she should get su'ed......RIP

Safetyhit
09-04-09, 22:48
Gates conveyed the message very well. I also disagree with decision to publish the photo.

Still, while I was just a youngster then, I must ask if Vietnam was any different. Pretty sure I recall similar images as a child likely used to stir public anger, but it could have been documentaries I suppose.

andre3k
09-04-09, 23:50
I respect the fathers views but if it were my son, i would want it published on the front page of every paper in the United States. As a testament to the sacrifices that are made by service members and their family.

In college I remembered hearing about the Emmit Till lynching and his mother letting Jet magazine publish the pictures of her sons mutilated body along with insisting on an open casket funeral. She stated "Let the people see what I have seen. I think everybody needs to know what had happened to Emmett Till."

Sometimes people need to see the cold hard realities of war right in front of their eyes, but I can understand nobody wants it to be their child making the sacrifice.

BushmasterFanBoy
09-04-09, 23:53
I respect the fathers views but if it were my son, i would want it published on the front page of every paper in the United States. As a testament to the sacrifices that are made by service members and their family.

In college I remembered hearing about the Emmit Till lynching and his mother letting Jet magazine publish the pictures of her sons mutilated body along with insisting on an open casket funeral. She stated "Let the people see what I have seen. I think everybody needs to know what had happened to Emmett Till."

Sometimes people need to see the cold hard realities of right in front of their eyes for people to see that this is real and not just a story about another dead soldier.

I agree. But that's our opinion, one that the family of this hero does not share. And while I think a journalist has every right to show the true costs of war, displaying the death of anyone, let alone a Marine, against the wishes of their family is sick.

Jer
09-05-09, 00:27
I agree. But that's our opinion, one that the family of this hero does not share. And while I think a journalist has every right to show the true costs of war, displaying the death of anyone, let alone a Marine, against the wishes of their family is sick.

Yeah, regardless of what ANY of us think about pro or con it really doesn't matter because all that should matter is the respects of the fallen soldiers immediate family and NOBODY else's. It's a matter of common decency which our media clearly lacks anymore. Sad.

Bill Bryant
09-05-09, 00:35
My son swore in to the USMC delayed entry program this summer and will go to basic training next June.

This whole story horrifies me. Not the dying. Not the controversy. The horror is living in a culture unable to tell real sacrifice from something staged in Hollywood. Unable to separate real fighting for real freedom from plasma screen entertainment. Unable to distinguish a real Marine from a cinema hero. Unable to honor real sacrifice. Unable to separate a hero's story from a media "story." I think I'm going to go have projectile diarrhea.

OK I'm back.

I'm proud beyond words of my son's decision. I'm horrified beyond words at the society he will be defending.

SWATcop556
09-05-09, 01:26
I will hold my opinion on if the photo should have been publishd or not. What is the real issue, in my opinion, is that even after they spoke with his family and heard their wishes, they still chose to go to print with the photo. Even Gates couldn't gt them to not publish he photo.

I respect the AP's wanting to publish the photo and it sounds like they had the best intentions (but who knows), they should have respected his families wishes and let it be. This is where they failed in biblical proportions.

RogerinTPA
09-05-09, 10:26
Despicable, thoughtless, non compassionate and tasteless decision to post a pic of that young Marine in his final moments. AP has dishonored themselves and should issue a retraction, and an apology to the family. Rest in peace LCpl Bernard.

TOrrock
09-05-09, 11:08
I just can't believe they would disregard the wishes of his parents.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

The press has great power, they need to go back to a time when they used it responsibly.

Honu
09-05-09, 13:14
I think the problem with letting this picture out is that sadly very sadly some of the press is going to post his picture and then say something like

the marine was killed while attacking freedom fighters

the other side will use it as propaganda etc...

this country and world is becoming a very screwed up place these days and instead of taking the soldiers side many will turn against it I fear and use it to show the horror that is happening with a leftist agenda !!!!

TehLlama
09-05-09, 14:53
It took me over an hour to cool down from this one. I'm going to have to put this completely out of mind if a journalist gets embedded in my or a supported unit.

LCpl Bernard, godspeed brother. I pray that this controversy does not cloud your sacrifice to protect fellow Marines and country.

Safetyhit
09-05-09, 16:14
The press has great power, they need to go back to a time when they used it responsibly.

Their responsibility disappeared long ago.

D.O.B.A
09-05-09, 19:14
I heard someone on talk radio say this about the Media, ----"They are supposed to be watchdogs, but now they're Lapdogs!" I don't think anyone has articulated it better!

Heavy Metal
09-05-09, 20:59

Are you saying Photographer Peter Parker and Publisher J.J. Jameson would not have published that pic?:D

Seriously, the wishes of the parents should be respected first and foremost.

Armati
09-05-09, 22:15
I have long thought that embedded reporters were the best propaganda tool the DoD has come up with in some time.

However, I have also long enjoyed the stories of reporters being killed and wounded in this war while covering it.

The media covering this war are just so many ghouls - waiting for somebody to die so they can take a picture of it. At least the enemy takes sides - the media just takes pictures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHuOwXnnKyE

My sentiments exactly.

dmanflynn
09-05-09, 22:28

Maybe we need to take them back because with this kind of display of utter disrespect and indecency I unfortunately doubt that they will go back on their own. Like other had said, if the Father agreed to it thats one thing. If he was undecided that would still be better than to blatantly disregard his wishes. Why in the hell did they even ask? Thats like pouring alcohol on a open wound and then lighting it on fire:mad: Just a bunch of liberal anti military bastards who cant give a Soldier or a Soldiers family one ounce of respect for their sacrifice.........

dookie1481
09-06-09, 00:21
It took me over an hour to cool down from this one. I'm going to have to put this completely out of mind if a journalist gets embedded in my or a supported unit.

LCpl Bernard, godspeed brother. I pray that this controversy does not cloud your sacrifice to protect fellow Marines and country.

Me too. I very rarely get upset by what the AP does anymore but I was ****ing infuriated when I read this story. Having dealt with spouses and family members of friends killed in Iraq this really hurt me.

Jay

dookie1481
09-06-09, 00:24
I have long thought that embedded reporters were the best propaganda tool the DoD has come up with in some time.

However, I have also long enjoyed the stories of reporters being killed and wounded in this war while covering it.

The media covering this war are just so many ghouls - waiting for somebody to die so they can take a picture of it. At least the enemy takes sides - the media just takes pictures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHuOwXnnKyE

My sentiments exactly.

I don't think that's fair. It takes a brave soul to go into combat without the means to defend themselves, just to report what happens. I don't think all reporters are scumbags. People that do this stuff, however, should be subject to the whims of the fallen Marine's friends.

Jay

Armati
09-06-09, 09:57
It takes a brave soul to go into combat without the means to defend themselves....

Jay

No, it takes an arrogant douche who is looking to take a picture of a blood stain.

Ever really sit down in a social setting with people in the media? When I lived in DC I routinely had a chance to hang out with members of the press. They really think they can go to these places and not have anything bad happen to them. They have nothing but disdain for 'dumb Marines.' Our troops are nothing more than a prop, that leads to a story, that leads to ratings, that leads to a payday. They are getting paid with our troops blood, sweat and tears. And, they live in this delusional mental construct that they are serving some higher calling by getting the 'story' out. Our troops are just another payday for them - nothing more.

Our guys can't even get a royalty for the use of their image.

Again, these people are little more than vultures looking for a body to circle around.

Safetyhit
09-06-09, 11:20
No, it takes an arrogant douche who is looking to take a picture of a blood stain.

Extremely well said.

Submariner
09-07-09, 10:47
Isn't this, after all is said and done, a property rights issue? Does the deceased Lance Corporal's estate own the rights to the image or does AP? If the former, the parents wishes trump AP's interest. If not, AP is free to publish the image.

Freedom of the press means the federal government has no authority to act as editor. Editors spike stories and photographs. Isn't the Constitution and Bill of Rights what this Marine died supporting and defending?

Find a way to boycott AP if you do not like their decision. Or buy them out and fire those whose decision you reject.

Mjolnir
09-07-09, 12:43

Sometimes people need to see the cold hard realities of war right in front of their eyes, but I can understand nobody wants it to be their child making the sacrifice.
That summarizes how I feel about it, too, and I immediately thought of Emmit Till as well.

My heartfelt condolences to all who knew them.

Honu
09-07-09, 12:59
http://michellemalkin.com/2009/09/04/huffington-post-exploits-aps-dying-marin-photo/

I knew this was going to happen :( frigin pathetic people

Submariner
09-07-09, 19:13
WARNING: This link, while worthwhile reading IMHO, contains the image at issue.

In wars, there are many enlightening things to see. For example, the Marine with a third of his face and half a lung, going ku-kuk-kuk as red gunch rolls out of his mouth and he drowns in his blood. Ruined or dying teenagers whimpering the trinity of the badly wounded, Mother, wife, and water. The brain-shot guy jerking like an epileptic as he tries not to die. Ever see brain tissue from gunshot? I have. It makes a pink spew across the ground. Like strawberry chiffon.

Gates does not want you to see this. You would puke, buy a bottle of bourbon, and take to the streets. He knows it. CBS could end these wars in a week if it aired what really happens. Gates cannot afford to let the dam break. PR is all. Thus Bush forbade the photographing of coffins coming home, and the CIA ferociously resists the publication of photographs of torture. Professional sadists do things to people that would make you gag.

Then there are the enlisted men. In these hobbyist wars, and to an extent even in peacetime, it is crucial to keep the enlisteds from thinking. In some three decades of covering the military, I saw this constantly. If I went to Afghanistan today as a correspondent, I could argue in private about the war with the colonel. If I suggested to the troops that they were being suckered, the colonel would go crazy. Next to keeping the public quiescent, keeping the troops (and potential recruits) bamboozled is vital. If a high-school kid saw what awaited, if he saw the cartilage glistening in wrecked joints, he wouldn’t sign.

http://www.fredoneverything.net/Gates.shtml

rmecapn
09-08-09, 14:08
I have no desire to add to the grief of the family of this young Marine. But America needs to understand what the real cost is for these "nation building" adventures we so seem to enjoy. That way, maybe we'll try to determine if the goal is worth the cost. That's assuming we have a goal.

In reality, this is nothing new. Such photos have been around since the technology has existed. They have made it into books and the media. The only difference now is that the technology allows for much faster dissemination.

It's a crying shame about that young Marine. But maybe you can appreciate just a little better how his two buddies feel about now. And maybe America will take the friggin' time away from watching American Idol and going to the mall to determine if this is really worth it.

dhrith
09-08-09, 15:40
Speechless.