PDA

View Full Version : Mag doesn't drop free or allow slide to lock back

Linea_de_Fuego
02-11-07, 12:50
This is a problem that I have with McCormick power mags in my 1991A1, which has the stock Colt slide stop. I would like to find a mag follower that works or replace the slide stop.

I don't understand why the follower binds the mag to not drop or lock back. This is what baffles me. The slide will lock back on each magazine when I insert an empty magazine and rack the slide. When shooting the result is different.

I did try some ACT mags and they did drop free and locked the slide, but I have read about the cracked feed lips. I don't see anywhere to just get followers from ACT.

Another solution might be the Tripp follower and spring kit. I wonder if that follower will fit McCormick springs.

I don't know if it would be easier and less trouble to buy a different slide stop but which one? The shaft seems to be .20 dia. on the Colt slide stop.

Joe R.
02-11-07, 22:59
I don't understand why the follower binds the mag to not drop or lock back. This is what baffles me. The slide will lock back on each magazine when I insert an empty magazine and rack the slide. When shooting the result is different.

Under recoil the gun acts differently then when you hand cycle it.

The problem you're having is not all that uncommon. As you mentioned switching the followers is one fix with the Tripp Super Seven kit being the most reliable way to go. Changing out the slide stop may solve your problem especially if somebody was cutting on the lobe.

Steve_Morrison
02-11-07, 23:48
What Joe wrote is correct, the dynamics of the pistol and magazine are different during live fire and hand cyclling.

The Shooting Star follower does not have a skirt in the front of the tube- as a result the follower can have a tendency to jump out of the front of the tube and drag on the inside of the frame.

Tripp's follower requires the use of Tripp springs.
The Tripp kits work great in the Power Mag bodies, in my experience this is the most reliable, durable and trouble free magazine available for the 1911.

I have found the ACT/Novak to be a very reliable and well finished good magazine/spring/follower, but they do have a bad reputation for cracking the feedlips. Considering their ready availability and low price it's not a bad option if you just plan on a shorter service life and replace the mags when cracks develop.

Linea_de_Fuego
02-12-07, 18:59
Tripp's follower requires the use of Tripp springs.
The Tripp kits work great in the Power Mag bodies, in my experience this is the most reliable, durable and trouble free magazine available for the 1911.

Thanks for the advice. I was about to buy these followers because of the good reports, but I did not want to lose that 8th round. I called Wilson and bought their 8 round followers. I hope that is the answer.

I did not think to try the slide stop from my Para. I should do that also to see if it makes a difference.

I did order a couple ACT mags since thay seemed to work.