PDA

View Full Version : CC, Ranges, living in NoVA/DC area

PlatoCATM
09-05-09, 11:31
I am taking a job that will start in Crystal City and will move to Andrews AFB sometime next year. I still haven't found housing because I just got the job and I don't have orders yet (the job should start in early October), but I have been looking at apartments in the Crystal City and Alexandria areas. Is one better than the other for access to ranges, and friendliness toward carrying? Correct me, please, if I am wrong, but both areas allow concealed carry as they are not included in the DC boundaries. Any other advice about moving to the area is welcome and appreciated.

civilian
09-05-09, 11:58
Crystal City I believe is in Arlington, but pretty much right next door to Alexandria. Permit won't be a problem in either location and you're probably equal distance from ranges depending on where in Alexandria you end up. Concealed carry rules in NOVA are pretty much consistent across the board, so you won't notice any big changes there.

I lived in Alexandria for a while, but had reason to be in Crystal City and the surrounding area quite a bit (Costco, the Audi dealership, etc). More of a city center thing going on in Crystal City than say in Alexandria, unless you're down in Old Town Alexandria or something. A few ranges in the area, with the closest probably being Gilbert's in Springfield. Never been to that one though. I usually go to NRA, and that's probably 30 mins drive from Alexandria or Crystal City, maybe less depending on traffic. Probably about the same to Blue Ridge in Chantilly.

Once your job moves, you'll have a serious decision to make about the commute. Not sure I'd want to commute from either of those locations in VA to AFB, although I guess technically you'd be going against traffic each way. That said, until MD gets its head out of its ass where CCW is concerned, I'm not planning on ever living there.

Business_Casual
09-05-09, 13:40
Only old dudes and their dogs live in and around Old Town. I know, because I live there. If I were young and stayed awake past 10:00pm I would live in Arlington on or near Wilson/Clarendon. Probably around Courthouse but anywhere from Ballston to Key Bridge. You will probably pay the same or less rent, because Crystal City is mostly corporate housing, office buildings and expense-account steak joints. Alexandria city is either very ethnic or old dudes walking their dogs in parades near the Potomac.

In terms of things to do, Arlington is hands down better, with much younger, hotter women and night spots. Also, the metro runs right through there so you don't have to drive into DC if you go in there. I strongly urge you to look at that part of NoVA. There is no convenient place with regards to traffic and travel, so just get used to that and pick based on other factors.

The NRA Range is right on 66, one end of which dead-ends at the Teddy Roosevelt bridge in Arlington.

PM if you have any specific questions.

M_P

m4fun
09-05-09, 15:29
Not sure where are in OH, but welcome to traffic. Not really much to say, except hope you like spending personal time in your car. And no matter where you go, make sure have a place to park your car.

Arlington and Alexandria are the most gun unfriendly counties in VA. Arlington's Balston area does have the young pung tang all over. Alexandria, especially Old Town, can be impressive as well. Over all Arlington will get you into the city faster as well as West. Alexandria will get you south, hence closer to 95(southern part of beltway) hence faster to Andrews.

Ranges are way South and West. Blue Ridge and NRA to the west, what used to be Shooters Paradise south.

Great thing about both places is that the Potomac River separates you from DC.

ToddG
09-06-09, 15:07
I live 180 degrees the opposite side of the Beltway from Andrews, so my advice is general rather than specific:

Regardless of whether your highway drive is with or against traffic, getting over the Wilson Bridge at rush hour is going to be miserable. Furthermore, getting to the Beltway is going to be backed because everyone is heading there (there aren't separate side streets for "with traffic" and "against traffic" loops, after all). The closer you can live to a Beltway on-ramp, the easier your life will be. I live less than 5mi from the nearest Beltway exist and in rush hour it can take me 30min to get on the highway.

The nearest Metro station to Andrews is, I think, Branch Avenue. According to Google Maps, it's 2.5mi away. I'm sure there are Metro buses from the station to the base. If you were willing to commit to taking the Metro to & from work, you could live anywhere within driving (or better yet, walking) distance of a Metro station. You could live a few miles from the NRA Range (Vienna station) and have a 90min commute each way, somewhere in the middle like Balston which has about a 70min commute, or someplace like Crystal City which would give you a 60min commute and a little hassle getting to a good range regularly. (commute times based on Metro's Trip Planner with a planned arrival before 0900 on a weekday morning to the main gate at Andrews, including both train & bus times)

A good friend of mine lived in an apartment complex in Ballston for about five years. It's easy to get around, has lots of restaurants and a decent night life, etc.

PlatoCATM
09-07-09, 19:43
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I'm hosed regardless of where I live due to the relocation. I think I should choose based on the crystal city location and hope that the building change is late or never happens (it is the government). I guess every location has its pros and cons, so I will have to figure out a good way of choosing based on apartment availability, the metro, and highway accessibility. I wish I still had access to GIS....

four
09-07-09, 20:31
I'll throw my recommendation in for the Ballston area as well. it's much hipper, and everything said about Alexandria is true. (old dudes with dogs or ethnic areas) If you have the freedom to choose, ie: you're single and don't have a whole lot of crap, finding a place in the ballston area is easier. If you are responsible for things like a family or pets or cars, the situation is only slightly more complicated.

Falls Church might be an option but you're farther from metro stops and such. you could make a case for it being the beginning of the suburbs, if such a thing exists in this town. You might end up with a choice between expensive and ethnic but housing exists here in all shapes and forms. Crystal City is one of the few places that imposes the same kind of traffic tax regardless of where you're coming from with the exception of the areas already mentioned.

I can only say this, unless you're coming from NYC, LA, or Chicago. Traffic *will* be something you have to get used to. it exists here in a form few cities can rival. I'd live in the ballston or clarendon area if my situation where different.

Happy to answer any questions I can.

lindertw
09-08-09, 19:11
I commute into Crystal City each day via I-66. Takes ~40 mins inbound departing @ 0500; depending on when I head home (1500 and later) it could take 1-3 hours due to traffic/weather/etc. I drive by the NRA range on my way home, so if traffic sux I'll pull off and hit the range :cool:

In addition to the Metro, look at Virginia Railway Express (VRE) stops near where you may live. A few of my coworkers ride the VRE and they say it's much nicer/less crowded than the Metro. Both Metro and VRE have stops in Crystal City...

good luck with your move!

shadco
09-08-09, 19:40
Andrews is in the former free state of maryland.

There won't be any cc for you in MD and you won't be able to carry at all in MD. You are allowed to transport your weapon as long as you have no ready access but only directly to and from the range or repair facility.

Live in VA and spend as little time as possible in Wash. DC or MD.

Army Chief
09-09-09, 06:24
An interesting -- and personally relevant -- thread, considering that everything I own is being crated today for shipment to Alexandria. I'll likely end up in Kingstowne, and working next to the Eisenhower Metro stop, but can use all of the local area orientation I can get. :)

AC

JSantoro
09-09-09, 11:49
During my move out here, all my effort was to ensure that I was living near work or counter-commuting, but not everybody has that option. I initially lived in Arlington while working in Woodbridge, so while everybody was heading north into the District, I was heading south and vice versa. It worked great until I was able to permanently shift southward.

I think that there's ample public transport, between Metrorail, buses and VRE if one wants to use it, and have always felt it's underutilized. I know quite a folks around my zone that get aboard VRE @ Quantico or even Fredericksburg to go into the District for work, and they kill on gas savings. N to S traffic is definitely hairy, but doesn't have to affect you, depending on your final location decision.

Shooter's Paradise burned down around 2 years ago, and hasn't made a comeback. Gilbert Small Arms Range in Springfield is pistol-only, if memory serves, but a decent place to shoot.

My own CCW permit took a smacking total of 10 days to process; no idea if that's typical or not, but I was pretty jazzed. Virginia is a "shall-issue" commonwealth, and the fee was something like $52 upon presentation of my application with supporting documentation.

Tennvol12345
09-11-09, 20:25
FYI Sharpshooters (ie Gilberts) is handgun and shotgun. No rifle calibers.