PDA

View Full Version : norgon ambi-catch

motorolahamm
09-05-09, 17:35
has anyone used this system and how does it work for you?
also just wondering if there is any military or other fed agencys using these

had been thinking about getting one just not sure if i want to spend that much $$$$$ if you know what i am saying but if it is worth it then what the heck

SV650Squid
09-05-09, 18:00
has anyone used this system and how does it work for you?
also just wondering if there is any military or other fed agencys using these

had been thinking about getting one just not sure if i want to spend that much $$$$$ if you know what i am saying but if it is worth it then what the heck

It's a little stiffer on the left side than standard. Not bad though.

It has an NSN, so yes, the military is using it (not at an organizational level).

It's worth it IMHO.

With it and wilson combat's oversized bolt catch I'm just as fast as a righty with a BAD (just make sure to locktite it to make sure the setscrew doesn't come lose).

M4Guru
09-05-09, 18:45
Just a consideration, these are not compatible with Redi-Mags. I have one on my SPR and I like it. It's well built and works like a champ.

seb5
09-05-09, 18:50
I finally decided to try them after many years of fighting the mag changes as a lefty. I bought a Norgon, KAC, and a Power Custom. I now own 3 Norgons. IMHO it is superior to the KAC and Power. The Power appears to be really designed for the righty using his left thumb as opposed to truly a left handed design. The KAC has more parts and is larger but the size does not translate into easier use. If you want I'll make you a deal on the others?

DMR
09-05-09, 19:40
I worked with my issue rifle for a lloonngg time without one. I ordered two more today so now all my personal rifles have them. I shoot left handed. h

dutch308
09-06-09, 00:03
I have had one on my rifle for about a year now and like it alot. Well build and designed. Worth the money imho.

rkb3119
09-06-09, 00:53
I agree, although I am right handed, I have a couple mounted and they work well.

A-Bear680
09-06-09, 09:19
I have been running one for about 6 years now. Put another on my wife's middie a little over a year ago. We both shoot shoulder guns mostly left-handed. The Norgons seem to be well designed and built right. Worth the money , IMO , even for a right-hander.
Anybody can be turned into a leftie with one good hand at any time.

militarymoron
09-06-09, 19:39
i have them on all my lowers - i'm a lefty.

Agile53
09-06-09, 21:18
What MM said above. Been running them for 12yrs. now with
no issues. That being said, I just picked up a KAC SR-15 lower,
really looking forward to how this compares. Interesting that it is
FULL ambi. for us satan-handers AND righties.

Omega_556
09-06-09, 22:26
I'm a righty and I've had Norgons & ambi-safeties on all of my carbines for a little over two years. I like to shoot lefty occasionally just to know that I can if I ever had to, for whatever reason. The only carbine that doesn't have one has a Redi-Mag.

They have never caused a problem and increase functionality, I love them.

benthughes
09-07-09, 06:17
I just threw one in my newest lower and the jury's still out. This lower is mostly a tester to see what I like and what I can live without. It's got KNS anti-rotation pins, ambi-safety, norgon and soon to have a BAD bolt catch/release. Basically every gadget I could think of to determine ( for me at least) what is useful and what is not so much.

I really like the ambi-safety. The KNS pins aren't necessary but hell..... why not? , the Alexander arms trigger is awesome and the Norgon usually gets bypassed due to habit in my RH index finger hitting the mag release every time. It's a cool idea, well designed and doesn't interfere in normal operation in any way. I can see it opening up more options for RH vs. LH reloads. I can see it as being especially useful in conjunction with the Magpul BAD.

At this point my opinion on any of these extras is, if it ain't broke...........

usmc51
09-12-09, 23:50
I am friends with the designer and have been evaluating a few of them for the past year. I had hoped my employer would adopt them, but it doesn't seem like our armorers really see the light. These were originally designed at the request of a Navy SMU. Once they got them, the Marines saw them and had to have them. 2nd Force was the first I am aware of to have had them. They are now approved for all Marine unit commanders to authorize for issue. It is a good piece of gear and I install one of my personal ones on my issue rifle every time I draw it from the armory.

Army Chief
09-13-09, 01:04
There may some attendant software/training issues, by the bottom line on the Norgon is that it is an extremely well-designed, well-integrated component that offers enhanced capability with no real downside other than cost. If you're a portsided firer, even that is exceedingly easy to justify.

AC

erik_
09-13-09, 20:20
The Norgon is great. Like SV650Squid said above, it's slightly stiffer pressing the Norgon compared to the standard mag catch button but not by much. Under the stress of a fast mag change, you'll never notice it.

It definitely beats stripping a mag with your right thumb before going for a fresh mag.

Knight's makes an ambi mag release but the release button is in an awkward location in my opinion. The Norgon benefits from being in the same location as the standard button.

znztivguy
03-12-10, 20:54
I use the norgon on all my guns and am amazed at how it helps in quick mag change drills. I know it is expensive but well worth it.

PdxMotoxer
03-12-10, 22:01
I've been thinking of trying one of these. ($90 seems a little high)

What's a good "drop-in" ambi-safety for a S&W M&P?

greyman556
08-15-10, 21:59
I am a southpaw, and I think it is fantastic. The Norgon ambi-catch is easy to install; it is a rock solid, well designed and practical addition to any AR 15 or M4.
All of our troops should have them on their M4's.

swamptiger
08-16-10, 12:39
I've been thinking of trying one of these. ($90 seems a little high)

What's a good "drop-in" ambi-safety for a S&W M&P?

It is expensive, but worth it. Works well and blends well with the lower receiver.

RD62
08-16-10, 14:40
How does the Norgon compare with the Knights?

Anybody tried both. I've been thinking of picking one of these up for some time but always thought $90 seemed a little steep. I can get the Norgon from Brownells for $80 but the Knights is $61.

-RD62

Hmac
08-16-10, 15:55
I had a Knights, just an hour ago swapped it for a Norgon I bought from Brownell's. I don't know if the Norgon is worth $90, but I think it's worth $20 more than the Knights. IMHO. It's a nice unit. The spring is a little stiff but not a problem. I like that it's exactly in the same place as the right-side button.

greyman556
08-17-10, 08:19
Marines are using Norgon. I really like mine.

Loner
08-17-10, 08:51
Tried both prefer the norgon, the kac is in an awkward position.