PDA

View Full Version : Question for LEO's

dutch308
09-05-09, 17:49
Hey guys, I have been LEO for some time now and like alot of others I have had hell keeping the trunk of my patrol car organized. My question is this: Can anyone point me in the right direction for storage units that fit into a Crown Vic trunk that is both user friendly and not gonna break the bank? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dutch

Oscar 319
09-05-09, 18:17
Hey guys, I have been LEO for some time now and like alot of others I have had hell keeping the trunk of my patrol car organized. My question is this: Can anyone point me in the right direction for storage units that fit into a Crown Vic trunk that is both user friendly and not gonna break the bank? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dutch

Clear Tupperware storage tubs in various depths and sizes will help eliminate the clutter.

pgpd3147
09-05-09, 21:15
Go to 7-11 or another store like that and see if they have any milk crates to give away. They are cheap or free and you can organize your trunk that way. I have one crate with my flares, fire extinguisher, first aid kit and another with my finger print kit, gloves, evidence bags, etc. You can set up any way and its cheap and inexpensive.
One of the guys on my squad built his own trunk organizer out of plywood. Hopefully my two cents helped

MSP "Sarge"
09-05-09, 21:35
Crates are good for flares!

TxDeputy
09-05-09, 22:21
I have found that the Rubbermaid Action Packers work very well.
Their heavy duty latchable lids makes them a good choice for patrol use.

Mac5.56
09-06-09, 02:01
Not LEO, but all of my emergency gear in the trunk of the commuter car is in a milk crate and it's perfect!

kmrtnsn
09-06-09, 12:31
I know there is a company that sells a plastic tub for the trunk of the CV that has movable dividers so you can set it up how you want it. I was interested in getting one but our CV's had the full-size spare laying in the bottom of the trunk instead of on the shelf because our radios, and control boxes were up there. I ended up going the Rubbermaid Action Packer route instead. For a soft-sided solution, you might take a look at the Kelty Binto Hauler 3.

CAPT KIRK
09-15-09, 22:38
I use multiple bags..... "riot", "report writing", "evidence/cameras etc". This way they are individually not to heavy. They are flexible and will conform to available space and I can grab which ever one applies to a given scenario.

I tried the single BIG BOX once...... that liked to have killed my back lifting it outta the Crown Vic trunk at EOW!

A side note for officer safety!!!

Those of you who run single man cars and are prone to having the right seat piled with stuff......... PUT IT IN THE TRUNK! The day may come when you will need to bail out the right side of the car, as opposed to going out the driver side and exposing yourself, or your driver door may be pinned closed after the T/C. That roadblock in your right seat may cost you valuable time, or worse.... The day may also come when you need to scoop up your partner to get them the hell outa dodge and to a hospital, and they will need a clear place to sit.

HiggsBoson
09-16-09, 07:39
I'm not an LEO, but I travel enough that I have the same problem getting my trunk clear of clutter. I recently purchased a trunk organizer (http://www.amazon.com/Rola-59001-M-O-V-E-Rigid-Base-Organizer/dp/B000E81VN8) that works pretty well for this challenge:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QPVQJE0ML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Now I just need a bigger trunk so I can fit two of these puppies in it. :rolleyes:

CAPT KIRK
09-16-09, 07:58
I'm not an LEO, but I travel enough that I have the same problem getting my trunk clear of clutter. I recently purchased a trunk organizer (http://www.amazon.com/Rola-59001-M-O-V-E-Rigid-Base-Organizer/dp/B000E81VN8) that works pretty well for this challenge:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QPVQJE0ML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Now I just need a bigger trunk so I can fit two of these puppies in it. :rolleyes:

That would work if you were one of those lucky LEO's who was issued a car, however most of us have to share which means loading and unloading.

HiggsBoson
09-16-09, 08:55
That would work if you were one of those lucky LEO's who was issued a car, however most of us have to share which means loading and unloading.

Fair point. It is designed to be portable, though. The thing has handles on each end and a fairly rigid plastic insert in the bottom to support weight. . I take it out periodically to re-organize it and load it with my range gear. I'm not sure how well it would hold up to doing that every day though if you have a heavy (> 50lbs) load-out. For $60 bucks shipped, I had a hard time finding anything that suits my purposes better. The dividers are attached with velcro, so you can change the configuration quickly and easily. Anyway, it works well for my needs, which sound pretty similar to those the OP describes (patrol car or not).

They also make a smaller size, which would probably work well in pairs if you need to support more weight:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41f-JQEJjBL._SS500_.jpg

tc556guy
12-08-10, 18:19
The Dept issues a Toughbox for dept issued gear. I carry my own stuff in a large Eagle Industries bag that AFAIK isn't made anymore in that exact configuration.

Keith E.
12-09-10, 14:25
Not tacti-cool but the tool organizers for the 5-gallons buckets could be an option. Different bucket for different situations as mentioned by Cap Kirk.

Keith

tgace
12-09-10, 14:29
http://www.propertyroom.com/ItemDetails.aspx?l=7566172

usmcvet
12-23-10, 19:27
I know there is a company that sells a plastic tub for the trunk of the CV that has movable dividers so you can set it up how you want it. I was interested in getting one but our CV's had the full-size spare laying in the bottom of the trunk instead of on the shelf because our radios, and control boxes were up there. I ended up going the Rubbermaid Action Packer route instead. For a soft-sided solution, you might take a look at the Kelty Binto Hauler 3.

The plastic tubs with the clear top SUCK. They end up getting covered in shit and you can not get to what is in the box. The best thing I've had was a plywood box in a 1996 Caprice, miss that damn car too. You can customize to your needs too.

scanda
12-23-10, 19:49
Your county jail would have plenty of milk crates too.

Suwannee Tim
12-24-10, 15:58
Go to 7-11 or another store like that and see if they have any milk crates to give away. They are cheap or free......

7-11 doesn't mind giving them away because they do not belong to 7-11. They belong to the milk company. I have a half a dozen of them and I feel guilty every time I look at one!

kmrtnsn
12-24-10, 16:48
The plastic tubs with the clear top SUCK. They end up getting covered in shit and you can not get to what is in the box. The best thing I've had was a plywood box in a 1996 Caprice, miss that damn car too. You can customize to your needs too.

I never mentioned plastic tubs with clear tops so I am not sure what you are ranting about. I had a one piece plactic insert in my CV that had movable dividers, for-aft and lateral. It was durable and accomplished the task of dividing up all the odds and ends in my trunk without getting in the way.

dutch308
12-25-10, 14:28
Hey guys thanks for the input. I went withthe rubbermaid action packers 8 gal. size. They are working out very well. I have them divided up between diferent needs and scenes. Thanks again, D