PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Texturing

VA_Dinger
07-03-06, 12:38
What do you guys prefer for 1911 front strap & MSH texturing? Nowadays we have a wide range of options available depending on the thickness of your wallet. Some guys seem to prefer perfectly smooth, while others like aggressive 20lpi checkering. We also have lighter checkering (25 & 30 lpi), plus dimples, snakeskin, scallops, serrations, ETC. Plus we still have the old and reliable skate board tape.

So far, I seem to prefer aggressive 20 LPI checkering. It has not bothered my hands in the least even during high round count days, but it certainly does offer more control over the weapon. At least in my humble opinion. It does seem to work better than 30 lpi for its intended purpose. I have no real experience with any of the more exotic texturing, so I will hold off on making any statements.

-Wes-
07-03-06, 13:13
The only checkerd MSH I have is 25lpi and it could have a little more grip. I think I would also go with 20lpi. I think Gunner Grips really threw off the curve to judge grip by.

ETA; Now that I think about it, 20 would be nice on the MSH but I don't think I'd like it on the front strap which was your question. I think I'd prefer 25-30 on the front, perhaps even stipling.

ArchAngel
07-03-06, 13:13
If you like the 20 lpi checkering then definitely stick with that.

I voted for the 30 lpi because I have it on my Wilson CQB and it just feels right for me.

On an appearance side I saw a picture of hexagonal checkering in one of the gun mags awhile back and liked it.

Never worked with any 1911s with any of the scallops or dimples - all have been smooth or the 30 lpi.

HarveyMushman
07-03-06, 18:12
I didn't vote only because I have not had the chance to "feel" any thing other than what I have on mine now (skateboard tape).

I can tell you though that I really don't like the skate tape.

To me it just seems out of place on a gun.

I understand folks do it for a reason and that's fine, but for me I'd like to have checkering of some sort done.

What is a rough price range to have the front strap checkered?

I saw an Ed Brown 1911 and it had scallops and I thought that looked really nice.

HM

Ice Cream Man
07-03-06, 18:38
I have 30 LPI on my only 1911 which isn't too bad, but seems a little too fine and seems to pick up lint and cloth fibers pretty easily, I have tried 20 LPI was little to aggresive for me, I would like to try 25 LPI seems like it would be a nice balance between the two for me at least.

RyanB
07-03-06, 21:10
20-25 lpi hand cut checkering, serrations and golf balls are all good. The first for a BBQ gun, the second for a carry gun and the third for a gun that will be carried openly.

JTAC_Supply
07-07-06, 01:19
30 LPI for me, works good for me and doesn't leave me feeling like I went 10 rounds with a cheese grater :p

I'll be trying scallops on my next one though, with gunner grips it looks comfortable and functional. Thinking of having my Series 80 Commander warmed over.

J

M4Guru
07-08-06, 02:19
I like stippling, which is essentially permanent skateboard tape, pounded into the steel.

For checkering, I like 25 LPI.

chris914
07-13-06, 05:33
I have 20 LPI on my Kimber. Some find it a bit on the aggressive side. I am used to it. It does wear on you after a 1K day though. I think that the 30 LPI is too fine. I had that on the TLE and I felt that the pistol was kinda slick. Just my 2 cents.

Yojimbo
07-13-06, 08:28
My taste for 1911 front srap texturing has changed over the years.

When I first got into 1911's I really liked the 20 LPI checkering, then the I liked the 30 LPI and finally the 25 LPI.

Now I just like the smooth front strap best because the gun does not grab on to clothing or other stuff when presenting from concealment and the smooth front strap also make the gun easier to manipulate for certain gunhandling techniques. Lastly the smooth front strap makes shooting for long periods much more comfortable to me.

Also, have you ever seen smashed checkering when the front strap is accidentally knocked against something hard...ouch$$!

Either way I think it just comes down to personal preference and what works best for you...

Steve_Morrison
07-17-06, 19:46
This is a great topic.

Over the years of building and shooting 1911s, I have found opinions vary widely, this is totally a matter of personal preference

I have one customer who is a high speed SWAT guy, he insists on a totally agressive pistol- sharp 20LPI front and back, and sharp checkered composite grips, and 30lpi checkered bottom of trigger guard. Another customer, who is a climber who consults and trains various high speed groups, prefers a totally smooth gun- smooth front and backstraps, very mildly textured grips. I would have thought he would prefer a lot of traction. Ironically, most of my amphibious customers have specified smooth guns and are happy with them.

My personal preference is this:
I want some traction on my pistol even if it's just worn in skate tape.

20LPI is way too sharp and aggressive for me- it's downright painful and it eats cover garments.

Pointed golfballs I find to be a lot like 20lpi - too agressive for me, though like checkering they can be toned down..

Snakeskin is great, I like the directional nature of it and the level of "bite" can be fine tuned by changing the angle of the scales. It's pretty agressive to clothing, though.

I like the feel of 30lpi front and back.

Scallops and the wide spaced golf ball are my favorites to date- they have the best all around combination of traction "grab/release", resistance to damage and ease of cleaning, without taking a toll on cover garments.

KevinB
07-18-06, 07:08
I like stippling, which is essentially permanent skateboard tape, pounded into the steel.

+1

Failing that I use Skateboard tape

DocGKR
07-18-06, 15:00
At one point or another, I have tried all of the above.

Without doubt, the Chuck Rogers style golf-ball dimples are the best I've used; the Heinie style scallps aren't bad either. They work great with bare hands and gloves, yet don't tear up clothing or flesh and are more durable than checkering.

Old-school plain smooth front straps have a lot of merit, as they can easily have 3M deck tape or Pachmeyer wrap-around (GM-45C) rubber grips added.

Stippling is a good option, although it can wear a bit over time.

Checkering gives a good grip, but is susceptible to damage, as well as being rough on clothing and hands. I'd rather have a smooth front strap than serrations. I have the least experience with snakeskin, but have not liked it as much as golf-balls.

Bottom line:

1. Golf-balls
2. Smooth
3. Stippling

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
07-20-06, 00:00
25LPI front strap and good 'ol skateboard taped grips. hurts at the end of the day but that gun sticks like glue...

beltfed
07-20-06, 22:52
I've developed the taste for 25LPI up front and a 20LPI MS housing in the back.

PossumKop
07-21-06, 08:38
I prefer whatever texturing that Glock puts on at the factory. :)

corey d
07-21-06, 09:39
my wilson combat cqb has 30 lpi on the front strap which i really like. if i would ever have a full house custom built, i would get that "golf ball" texture (dimples) like you see on some of chuck rogers' builds. if anyone has seen his "gray guns"........man they are incredible. definitely on the top of my wish list.

cd

Linea_de_Fuego
07-21-06, 21:02
This stippling works for me, but checkering gives more grip. Like you said, "depending on the thickness of your wallet" you can have whatever you like.

WOW, sorry for the size of this image.

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/5539/p14bo5.jpg

OK< I fixed this so it is a link.

RSF45
08-12-06, 19:45
I think the 25lpi is perfect.
30 isn't grippy enough and 20 is just painful IMO.

nyeti
08-13-06, 00:19
Steve Morrison's golf balls are by far my favorite. He did them on my THUG gun, and I prefer them to even Chuck Roger's. For me they offer great purchase without chewing up my hands during long shooting sessions. My second choice would be stippling.

VA_Dinger
08-14-06, 00:57
Anybody else notice that there is no real consensus in the voting? Sure some are more favored than others, but not one got the lion’s share of the voting or really stood out from the others.

I have heard at least one 1911 gunsmith state that trying to please the buying public with a “Standard 1911” package is the equivalent to herding cats.

:D

Now I understand it.

rob_s
08-14-06, 04:20
I hated checkering of any kind until I got my Ed Brown "Special Forces". Now I'm quite happy with this treatment.

http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/4990/dsc0561mediumay2.jpg

http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/5530/dsc0560mediumdn1.jpg

VA_Dinger
08-14-06, 09:13
Rob, that baby looks awesome.

SHIVAN
08-14-06, 09:55
This stippling works for me, but checkering gives more grip. Like you said, "depending on the thickness of your wallet" you can have whatever you like.

WOW, sorry for the size of this image.

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/5539/p14bo5.jpg

Just make this a link to the pic, and not the actual picture.

Or resize it and repost......

SHIVAN
08-14-06, 09:58
I REALLY, REALLY like the Ed Brown Snakeskin. I think it is one of the best there is for positive "feel" and not overly aggressive on the skin.

I also have a Kimber CDP with 30lpi front and rear and I like it too, though I think the 30lpi front strap is a little "soft".

I am running skateboard tape on the Kimber Warrior until such time as I have something more permanent done.

I may have Ned C. one of his finishes....

rob_s
08-14-06, 11:09
Rob, that baby looks awesome.
Thank you. I really like the "checkering" as it's just perfect for me. In general I prefer nothing more than serrations, but this pistol is making me a convert.

When my 1* arrives with the serrations I'll be able to judge them side by side.