PDA

View Full Version : I hate you all

Dport
02-11-07, 16:26
I went to Gander Mountain today and an M&P 9mm followed me to the range and home.

I gotta say I'm impressed. This is the second most accurate out of the box mass production gun I've shot. And it handled 250 rounds in a near freezing range straight from the store, no cleaning, no lube.

Damn.

LOKNLOD
02-11-07, 16:31
Oh, how the mighty have fallen!

Am I the last hold out????

Dport
02-11-07, 16:35
Better not even touch the things.

I went to GM with the wife so she could find out if it fit her. She was OK with the medium grip, but I think the small grip would be money. Anyway, she exclaimed "Oh my!" when she held it. I knew it, she was sold. So be bought 250 rounds of UMC and headed out to the nearest range. I have to say the only thing I want on this gun is night sights. I don't feel like mucking with it. It's very good out of the box. I tried to shoot bad and the gun wouldn't let me.

I left the range thinking about selling my Glock 17.

LOKNLOD
02-11-07, 16:51
My wife has a 17 and she shoots it very well. Shooting it is what got me started on Glocks in the first place...

Better not let her handle an M&P either I guess.

M4arc
02-11-07, 17:09
OH MY! :eek:

Well, well, well...look who finally broke down ;)

Welcome to the club!

Bulldog1967
02-11-07, 18:10
Another one bites the dust.

I have to say, if Dport likes it, it must be good, cause he's FINICKY! :)

trio
02-11-07, 19:17
when i go to the safe the 1911s look at me dirty because of these guns....i have the compact on the way...the full size is already my primary self defense handgun...

you will be very pleased

Dport
02-11-07, 19:18
Another one bites the dust.

I have to say, if Dport likes it, it must be good, cause he's FINICKY! :)
Finicky? Sure. Picky? Not so much.

That being said, I think this gun could satisfy the most picky pistolero.

I was shooting just as fast as I could at a silhouette target at 7 yards, one of those on what appears to be 11" by 14" piece of paper, and I had a hard time getting the shots to leave the 9 ring. I had to go exceptionally fast. Out of 220 rounds, I got one to get into the 8 ring, barely. Most just opened up 1 1/2" to 2" diameter hole in the X-ring.

Hawkeye
02-11-07, 19:21
Smith really has hit a home run with these I think. The more I mess with my 9, the better I like it. I am REALLY excited about the M&P 45.

DrMark
02-11-07, 19:49
Oh, how the mighty have fallen! Am I the last hold out????
I'm still holding out.

Reading threads like this ain't helping!

Bulldog1967
02-11-07, 19:53
Smith really has hit a home run with these I think. The more I mess with my 9, the better I like it. I am REALLY excited about the M&P 45.

I hear you.

I'm going to get a 9c, then the 45 when it comes out.

Looks like the G17/19/21 will have to go on the block first, though....:eek:

Dport
02-11-07, 20:08
You would show up. It was your "you need to pick one up" that did me in.:mad:

M4arc
02-11-07, 20:21
I can't help but laugh every time I read this thread :D

LOKNLOD
02-11-07, 20:24
I'm still holding out.

Reading threads like this ain't helping!

Support group...[rob schnieder]you can dew it![/rob schnieder]

It's the singer, not the song.
I'm the real limiting factor.
I can't afford to switch out all my holsters.
Mags are still too expensive.
They're not really proven yet.

:p

Dport
02-11-07, 20:27
I can't help but laugh every time I read this thread :D
You're not guiltless either, bub.:mad:

M4arc
02-11-07, 20:41
You're not guiltless either, bub.:mad:

Wooohoooohhoooooohooo :D

Dport
02-11-07, 20:46

Wooohoooohhoooooohooo :D
You will be getting a bill.

Matt Edwards
02-11-07, 20:48
As per LOCNLODs last post;

I probably would not have gotten my M&P if it did not come with 3 mags and a bladetech holster and double mag pouch. I went to the store to get another Glock. I traded 15 year old weapons that I don't use any more. If money had to change hands, I'd a just bought range time and ammo.
The pistol seems pretty stright. I don't think my Glocks and 1911s are going any where though. Even if the pistol does turn out to be the shiznit, I don't see my self swithching over. Different disigns have different advantages. In 9mm, for me personally, I think the M&P is just too large. For this caliber I'll stick with the 19 for now. If the M&P .45 is ANY larger then the .40/9mm MP, it will also be too large for me. This means that my 1911s will continue to serve in that caliber.
That is why I got the M&P. I wanted a .40 that was designed for .40.
Just my 2 cents...so far...
Matt

matt7184
02-11-07, 22:04
It was only a matter of time :D

LOKNLOD
02-11-07, 22:32
As per LOKNLODs last post;

For whatever it's worth, I was just making some semi-humorous excuses...really if you're in the market for a new handgun right now, and not seriously bound to a current platform, I'd say you're dumb not to at least look at the M&Ps.

Voodoo6
02-11-07, 22:53
<edited for trolling. - M4arc>

Hawkeye
02-12-07, 08:11
You would show up. It was your "you need to pick one up" that did me in.:mad:

Um.....I'm sorry....:(

:D

Its payback for all the times you've argued with me elsewhere... :cool:

Blame M4arc and Dinger. It's there fault.

Dport
02-12-07, 08:39
Um.....I'm sorry....:(

Somehow, I doubt it. And to be truthful, I am not. I simply love the gun.

Its payback for all the times you've argued with me elsewhere... :cool:
In keeping with the theme (see below)

Blame M4arc and Dinger. It's there fault.
It's "their" not "there." :p

VA_Dinger
02-12-07, 08:42
Wow, I'm impressed.

I thought it would take months to get Dport.

Hawkeye
02-12-07, 08:56
Somehow, I doubt it. And to be truthful, I am not. I simply love the gun.

In keeping with the theme (see below)

It's "their" not "there." :p

Doh! :p

Tang419
02-12-07, 09:55

Nope, Im holding strong. I dont like them. They have most Glock basics, and trigger bar, Glock firing pin saftey, Sig take down bar, Ruger take down lever in the mag well, and what looks like XD slide rails. To me it seems like something that would come from Taurus, not S&W. Not to mention, most I have seen have that gay magazine disconnect, but Im told some dont.

I'll stick to my Glock's, thanks ;)

Dport
02-12-07, 10:08
Wow, I'm impressed.

I thought it would take months to get Dport.
What do you mean by "get?" Is this some sort of cult?

Dport
02-12-07, 10:10
Nope, Im holding strong. I dont like them. They have most Glock basics, and trigger bar, Glock firing pin saftey, Sig take down bar, Ruger take down lever in the mag well, and what looks like XD slide rails. To me it seems like something that would come from Taurus, not S&W. Not to mention, most I have seen have that gay magazine disconnect, but Im told some dont.

No magazine disconnect nor lock on mine.

It is also much more accurate than any Glock I've owned out of the box.

Hawkeye
02-12-07, 10:15

There is a bit of inaccuracy in your post. If you think this is in the same class as a Taurus, then I dont know what to tell you. Its not. FAR from it. It doesnt have a Glock firing pin safety..... It has a firing pin safety like virtually every other handgun on the market has. Have you seen an XD in person? The slide rails are much more along the lines of Glock rails than XD rails. As for the magazine disconnect..... there is no "some dont", you simply order it with or without it as it available both ways. I havent even seen one with the disconnect in my area personally.
If your basing your statements only off of pictures on the net, then you really should handle one in person.

Tang419
02-12-07, 10:40
There is a bit of inaccuracy in your post. If you think this is in the same class as a Taurus, then I dont know what to tell you. Its not. FAR from it. It doesnt have a Glock firing pin safety..... It has a firing pin safety like virtually every other handgun on the market has. Have you seen an XD in person? The slide rails are much more along the lines of Glock rails than XD rails. As for the magazine disconnect..... there is no "some dont", you simply order it with or without it as it available both ways. I havent even seen one with the disconnect in my area personally.
If your basing your statements only off of pictures on the net, then you really should handle one in person.

I work part time at a gun shop, I have handled them...lol Just havent fired one yet. My cousin brough his .40 over a couple nights ago, and I went over it good. His does have the disconnect, which I do not like at all. Im also still trying to figure out the reason for two take down devices.

I wasn't comparing it to Taurus in terms of quality, I just meant Taurus is known for copying other people's guns. But now that you mention it, there is a striking ressemblence to a 24/7 there.... :p

Bulldog1967
02-12-07, 10:46
What do you mean by "get?" Is this some sort of cult?

http://www.biography.com/notorious/images/episode_images/Jim_Jones_320x240.jpg

Get the M&P! :eek: :D

mark5pt56
02-12-07, 11:04

I'm hunkered down and happy!:cool:

M4arc
02-12-07, 11:06
I work part time at a gun shop, I have handled them...lol Just havent fired one yet. My cousin brough his .40 over a couple nights ago, and I went over it good. His does have the disconnect, which I do not like at all. Im also still trying to figure out the reason for two take down devices.

I wasn't comparing it to Taurus in terms of quality, I just meant Taurus is known for copying other people's guns. But now that you mention it, there is a striking ressemblence to a 24/7 there.... :p

Tang419, what gun shop do you work in?

You will not find a bigger Glock supporter than me. Well maybe a few others but I have Glock posters hanging on my walls, I use Glock pens, I'm wearing a Glock fleece pullover right now, I own four Glocks and I even have a Glock pillow case.

So you can talk the merits of the Glock all day with me but before talking down on the M&P I suggest you learn a little more about them because you don't want to sound like I did in this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=2563

As you can see I quickly changed my tune after shooting an M&P.

As for copying another design...well it's done all the time. It's done in everything from Cars to computers and yes, firearms. However, if you look at the M&P from a design standpoint, which you are, you should see S&W took all the good things from a Glock and they added some things that Glock was criticized for. Sort of a best of both worlds design.

It's hard but if you look at the S&W subjectively you'll see it's a pretty neat gun in it's own right and as gun owners its always great to have opinions. Don't you agree?

Hawkeye
02-12-07, 11:20
Im also still trying to figure out the reason for two take down devices.

It has one takedown lever, just like a Glock. On a Glock, you pull the trigger to release the striker, on the M&P, you push the sear disconnect down instead of pulling the trigger. Exact same number of steps involved in both.

Tang419
02-12-07, 11:27
It has one takedown lever, just like a Glock. On a Glock, you pull the trigger to release the striker, on the M&P, you push the sear disconnect down instead of pulling the trigger. Exact same number of steps involved in both.

Well that makes sense. Thanks for explaining that.

RyanS
02-12-07, 11:50
You guys guys are sooo weak. You're falling like flies in a stink pot. Where's the backbone? Where's the wherewithall? Is this how the manly men go down....just caving in?

I almost bought one this weekend. :(

DrMark
02-12-07, 11:51
...I even have a Glock pillow case.
:eek:

LOL

RyanS
02-12-07, 11:51
I even have a Glock pillow case.

What?

John_Wayne777
02-12-07, 12:05
All that we say and do is right....

Dport
02-12-07, 12:05
Or you can pull the trigger. The sear disconnect is there to make you look at the loaded chamber indicator.

Hawkeye
02-12-07, 12:07
Or you can pull the trigger. The sear disconnect is there to make you look at the loaded chamber indicator.

This is correct. I failed to mention that. In fact, I have already done that a few times with mine inadvertantly, being so used to a Glock and all.....

Dport
02-12-07, 12:07
You guys guys are sooo weak. You're falling like flies in a stink pot. Where's the backbone? Where's the wherewithall? Is this how the manly men go down....just caving in?

I almost bought one this weekend. :(
My wherewithall collapsed when I shot the damned thing.

Dport
02-12-07, 12:08
This is correct. I failed to mention that. In fact, I have already done that a few times with mine inadvertantly, being so used to a Glock and all.....
I do it just because that's what I'm used to. I haven't used the disconnect yet.

John_Wayne777
02-12-07, 12:43

Really?

I just pulled the trigger to disassemble mine.

I'm too tactical to read the manual......:D

"Og own many guns! Not need manual!! Unga bunga!!"

I have noticed, by the way, that the M&P doesn't balance right in the hand. It doesn't twirl worth a darn, so I might just have to get rid of it.

Hawkeye
02-12-07, 13:13
Really?

I just pulled the trigger to disassemble mine.

I'm too tactical to read the manual......:D

"Og own many guns! Not need manual!! Unga bunga!!"

I have noticed, by the way, that the M&P doesn't balance right in the hand. It doesn't twirl worth a darn, so I might just have to get rid of it.

I noticed that too....:eek:

:cool:

LOKNLOD
02-12-07, 13:36
Really?
so I might just have to get rid of it.

How much do you want fo---AHHH!

John_Wayne777
02-12-07, 16:27
How much do you want fo---AHHH!

In reference to another thread about gunstore etiquette:

When I sold guns I was happy if I could just get people to stop waving them all over the place or doing idiot things like twirling them. (No kidding....I had one guy whose "prufeshunul" evaluation of the weapon included how it twirled in the hand....."Naw, this one don't balance right, see??" ....TWIRL TWIRL TWIRL...)

I figured that since the Navy SEAL drill sergeant sniper guy I met in the gunstore twirled all his handguns to determine their "balance" that I should do the same.

Hawkeye
02-12-07, 16:46
In reference to another thread about gunstore etiquette:

I figured that since the Navy SEAL drill sergeant sniper guy I met in the gunstore twirled all his handguns to determine their "balance" that I should do the same.

That guy sure does get around. I've seen him at LEAST a couple of dozen times all the way down here. He's got a few different disguises too.

JohnN
02-12-07, 19:00
If you remove the striker and extractor you will find they twirl much better. Better balance I guess.

Matt Edwards
02-12-07, 20:15
Mine twirls fine. It was a requierment...

GastonG-NoVa
02-13-07, 18:43
I have only shot a couple with not many rounds down range. I like the Glocks, but you never know.;)

G

kbi
02-14-07, 12:12
[heavy accent]What is this M&P you speak about ?[heavy accent]

ISAIAH53
02-14-07, 12:17
[heavy accent]What is this M&P you speak about ?[heavy accent]
It is the latest flavor of Kool-Aid.

Tang419
02-14-07, 13:32

Yup, it is kind of tangy, and is on the shelf between Coltaid and Glockaid.

kbi
02-14-07, 18:59
By Tang419: Quote:
Originally Posted by ISAIAH53

Yup, it is kind of tangy, and is on the shelf between Coltaid and Glockaid.

You can keep the Coltaid I hear it's like Tab but I'll never turn down Glockaid.

How come I see 2 handgun's in my safe in the near future:confused: instead of 1.

Boris
02-14-07, 19:10
Better not even touch the things.

Whether there's a new gun in your tax return, the next multiple-gun-a-month-liberty-purchase or just the ONLY gun you'll ever plan to buy, can we all just agree that these things ROCK? :) Get one.

-Boris

Navy87Guy
02-18-07, 12:29
Out of 220 rounds, I got one to get into the 8 ring, barely.

So let me get this straight...you went to get the gun for your wife, then you proceeded to put 220 out of 250 rounds down range?? I know what that would buy me in my house!! :D

I'm really not in the market for another striker-fired gun....but the good press on the M&P keeps coming. Hmm....

Jim

Dport
02-18-07, 16:33
So let me get this straight...you went to get the gun for your wife, thenyou proceeded to put 220 out of 250 rounds down range?? I know what that would buy me in my house!! :D

I'm really not in the market for another striker-fired gun....but the good press on the M&P keeps coming. Hmm....

Jim
It was cold in the range and her little fingers got cold fast. :D

Navy87Guy
02-18-07, 17:03
Which Gander Mtn did you buy it from? I assume the price was decent.

gotm4 has an M&P that he got for his wife and he's done some trigger work on. He had it in the store one day when I stopped by and he let me dry fire it. It did feel nice. I was planning on trying to sell off my Glock 21 and buying another PX4 when they come out in .45 ACP this summer....I may have to find an M&P to try out at the range and see how it feels.

Jim

Dport
02-18-07, 20:15
The GM in Fred-Vegas.

I'd like to be able to get up to VA Arms more often, I've been there only twice. However, GM in Freddy is a haul for me and VA Arms is quite a bit further.

Bulldog1967
02-18-07, 21:42
Went to the NRA range today and sent about 200 rounds down the M&P 9mm.

Shot it, then switched to my Glock 17.

No comparison.

I was MUCH more accurate with the M&P.

Navy87Guy
02-19-07, 07:39
The GM in Fred-Vegas.

I'd like to be able to get up to VA Arms more often, I've been there only twice. However, GM in Freddy is a haul for me and VA Arms is quite a bit further.

I hear ya. Fredericksburg is only 15 minutes away for me, but VA Arms is about 50 miles. Still, it's worth the trip just to hang out in the store with Bernie and his crew. They keep getting me in trouble, though -- new toys keep following me home!!

Jim

trio
02-19-07, 08:26
prices on M&Ps seem to either be going up/regulating....

i swung by the Dale City gun show briefly on Saturday to avoid my in laws and they were $475 at Dark Sun...I bought mine at the same show in early December from Dark Sun for $425....just food for thought...this was for the 9,40, and 9c....

usaffarmer
03-02-07, 23:11
great i was thinking an XD, I have picked up the M&P .40 and really liked the feel. I guess my wife is going to be the first to shot it, AT ME! I guess I can throw my G22 at her, its more accurate that way.

usaffarmer
03-02-07, 23:12
$550.00 in Alaska, god I hate this state "shipping" and all I guess????:confused:

usaffarmer
03-03-07, 14:19
I think my wife is going to shot me tonight. I just went and spent about a paycheck on the M&P .40 full frame and drop leg holster, which is on back order. a couple extra mags and rounds. AND ITS FINALLY NOT BELOW 0 Degrees. So on lunch i think its going to be and extended one, at the range. :p

John_Wayne777
03-03-07, 17:21
$550.00 in Alaska, god I hate this state "shipping" and all I guess????:confused:

A local gunstore (which just went out of business....) wanted 700 dollars for the hicap M&P without the safeties. :rolleyes:

550 actually isn't a bad price. Average retail here in VA is between 500 and 550 from the sellers I have seen.

QuietShootr
03-03-07, 19:21
When they get the FDE .45 out, then I will probably give one a shot.