PDA

View Full Version : Leupold CQT "enough" scope for a Recce??

Curio Bill
02-11-07, 16:29
Is the Leupold CQT "enough" scope for a Recce style build?? As in, enough magnification combined with close shot capability??

nyeti
02-11-07, 22:45
For most L/E and urban scenarios, 4x is fine. I have done a ton of pretty good shooting with a 4X ACOG. The higher poser scopes give you much better identification capability, and I prefer higher magnification on a true sniping system. For a rapid response "perimeter" gun, I like a rugged optic that I don't have to mess with, and preferably something that I can work indoors with. Often times in the Urban environment, you need to clear your way into a shooting position, so a lower power scope is fine.

Another issue is too much rifle for the scope. I have a VERY accurate Noveske barreled urban sniping rifle that had a 1x4 US Optics SN 4 on it. The gun is capable of taking advantage of a higher magnification scope. For a gun with a 4x optic, I wouldn't spend the money on a hyper accurate barrel or build something with an accuracy level or weight that would be better utilized with a higher magnification optics system.

Steve_Morrison
02-11-07, 23:39
I'll defer to DBs experience, but IMHO the magnification of the CQT is "enough scope" but it's lacking in several key areas. Much better options out there- include Leupold's 1.5-5; Nightforce 1.1-4x20, Schmidt Bender 1.1-4 (various guises, all good) and the Trijicon magnified ACOGs (3.5x TA11 especially) and 1-4 Accupoint.

nyeti
02-12-07, 01:01
I am not a big fan of the CQT. I am a huge fan of the Trijicon ACOG. If I had the funds or a Uncle Sam P.O., the S&B is the standard in this catagory. I also think there is a future in the the new optic that will be put out by GRSC with its patented general purpose reticle which will work well from CQB to extreme distances (I shot it in very high wind to 532 yards) without ever touching a nob and it is at a very inexpensive price point (should be well under $400.00).

Curio Bill
02-12-07, 13:09
I am not a big fan of the CQT. I am a huge fan of the Trijicon ACOG. If I had the funds or a Uncle Sam P.O., the S&B is the standard in this catagory. I also think there is a future in the the new optic that will be put out by GRSC with its patented general purpose reticle which will work well from CQB to extreme distances (I shot it in very high wind to 532 yards) without ever touching a nob and it is at a very inexpensive price point (should be well under $400.00).

What company is this & could you please provide more info. I have not heard of this before.

Thanks, Bill.

nyeti
02-12-07, 23:04
Let me see if I can get a hold of the owner to post on it, as he can explain it far better than I can............I just know the system works really well. I think he just got his reticle pics copyrighted so he can post them with an explanation.

DKircher
02-15-07, 16:10
I'll defer to DBs experience, but IMHO the magnification of the CQT is "enough scope" but it's lacking in several key areas. Much better options out there- include Leupold's 1.5-5; Nightforce 1.1-4x20, Schmidt Bender 1.1-4 (various guises, all good) and the Trijicon magnified ACOGs (3.5x TA11 especially) and 1-4 Accupoint.

I believe the Accupoint is a great optic for this task, at a great price (not quite sure what the Leupy's run, but I'm sure its 2x). I'm not LEO though (yet), and I've never cleared a building with one. However I've shot one quite a bit, from 100 yards all the way into 7 yards and I like the Accupoint alot for this application.

YMMV.