PDA

View Full Version : How can I get started in competion!?

Armati
09-06-09, 21:22
Firstly, I know I am off to a bad start because I am in Maryland. But here is where I am right now:

Last year I let my USPSA membership lapse after being a member for 2 year without ever shooting a round with the USPSA. Personally, I am fed up with the gun clubs in MD. I contacted my Area 8 rep for MD and he told me usual line about showing up at a USPSA event. I went to the range at Thurmont and more or less got treated like a second class citizen. The attitude I get from MD ranges is "you need us, we don't need you."

So, about two months ago I went to the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore web site and attempted to join using their online form. I never heard back from them.

The Ft. Meade Rod and Gun Club is essentially worthless as are the DNR ranges in MD.

For the love of God, what does a guy have to do to find a decent place to practice in MD?

Seriously, what do I need to do here?

ToddG
09-08-09, 15:59
Meade used to hold some pretty decent USPSA matches. In fact, I went to my very first match there back in the 90's. John Pepper (of Pepper popper fame) also used to hold a monthly event there that was invitation-only.

Anne Arundel Fish & Game has regular IDPA matches which are actually very well run. They're also very popular, however, and getting a slot for a weekend match can be hard.

Otherwise, my experience with ranges in MD is fairly slim. I got kicked out of Monocacy a couple years back because my behind the hip IWB holster was, and I quote, "inherently unsafe." I still have the email the club president sent me when I complained:
There may be no specific rule at the Monocacy Pistol Club to stop your holster, but it is not safe enough for our ranges.

And that, folks, is why I drive through Beltway traffic 2-4 times per week to shoot at the NRA Range in Fairfax.

crossgun
09-08-09, 19:49
Im sure it will be only a matter of time till they kick you off that range as well.

Copperfield

Joe Mamma
09-10-09, 23:35
Firstly, I know I am off to a bad start because I am in Maryland. But here is where I am right now:

Last year I let my USPSA membership lapse after being a member for 2 year without ever shooting a round with the USPSA. Personally, I am fed up with the gun clubs in MD. I contacted my Area 8 rep for MD and he told me usual line about showing up at a USPSA event. I went to the range at Thurmont and more or less got treated like a second class citizen. The attitude I get from MD ranges is "you need us, we don't need you."

So, about two months ago I went to the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore web site and attempted to join using their online form. I never heard back from them.

The Ft. Meade Rod and Gun Club is essentially worthless as are the DNR ranges in MD.

For the love of God, what does a guy have to do to find a decent place to practice in MD?

Seriously, what do I need to do here?

Where in Maryland are you?

http://www.yorkiwlaipsc.org is in south central Pennsylvania (York, PA), but they put on great matches.

Joe Mamma