PDA

View Full Version : New to PMAGS

goodoleboy
09-07-09, 15:30
I just purchased my first PMAG today. I have always been an aluminum mag man till I started hearing about these things. I was SHOCKED at how sturdy and well-made these things are. I was reading the information on these things and it stated that you could load them full for long-term storage and not have to worry about the springs losing lots of tension or the mag lips fanning out. I used to load my aluminum ones with 28 to prevent this from happening.

Do you load 30 in your PMAGs? Any problems?

So far I am extremely pleased and plan on buying more of them when the funds become available.

RogerinTPA
09-07-09, 16:03
I load and store both aluminum mags (D&H/Bravo Company) and Pmags to 30 rounds. I stored an ammo can full of both for two years. I tested two of each, and they worked as advertised. It is not the constant compression the sets the spring in a stored mag, it is the cycling of them (Loading and unloading) that wear out the springs. There are numerous anecdotal stories out there. My neighbor for one, an WWII vet, and my grand father. Both had WWII era 1911s fully loaded and stored for decades, mold and everything. Both the mags and the firearm, operated without issue when fired.

Pmags are probably the best innovation in AR mags to date, IMHO.

John_Wayne777
09-07-09, 16:14
PMAGs are just fine loaded to 30 rounds. Part of the reason for downloading is to allow for positive seating on a closed bolt. The PMAG does that just fine fully loaded...USGI mags do not.

PRGGodfather
09-07-09, 16:43
JW777 is ABSOLUTELY correct. For me, love the P-Mag.

Jer
09-08-09, 00:39
Pmags are probably the best innovation in AR mags to date, IMHO.

Agreed. Anxiously awaiting the release of the AR10 Pmags because my aluminum AR10 mags are complete garbage. All feed/function issues in a 5.56 GI mag are magnified about 4x in 7.76 size mags. That's been my experience anyway. I will celebrate the day FedEx delivers my AR10 Pmags. :cool:

gogetal3
09-08-09, 18:35
I always load my mags to 28 tops. Leaving some room for the spring to compress upon seating of the mag in the magwell.