PDA

View Full Version : bushmaster - to sell or not to sell

moonshot
09-08-09, 09:58
I've read, and re-read, the OMG - I've bought a Bushmaster thread. I still have a few questions. My BM was my first rifle. Bought it before I had heard of this board.

I've never been able to take a high-end class such as those most of you take, but I did take an urban carbine class which put just under 1000 rounds downrange in a weekend. Used good ammo, good mags, ran it wet, and no issues showed up.

I've seen photos of BM carriers not properly staked. My carrier is. My carrier and bolt are both stock BM parts, as is my LPK. The receiver extension is not staked. That is something I can have done at essentially no cost. The extractor spring and insert are stock.

I bought a replacement bolt from a dealer on this board, and this is on the rifle. It's an FN bolt, but there are no HP or MPI markings on it. Don't know if that is important. Carrier is still stock. The buffer is a stock carbine buffer from BM. I haven't checked the chamber, but all I have/shoot is .223 so I am not in too much of a hurry on this.

After reading here and trying to learn, I have since bought a tier-1 rifle. Top quality components across the board. This is now my "goto" rifle.

My question... what to do with my Bushmaster. I have two choices.

1) Sell it and buy a second tier-1 (I figure it will cost me between $300 and $500 extra for the tier-1 rifle I have selected, depending upon how much I actually clear on my BM).

2) Keep my BM and use it for the role I have in mind for my second rifle (whatever it is).

This role is as a trunk rifle to be kept in a "get-home" bag. I am putting this kit together now, and I have identified a need/desire to equip it with one handgun and one carbine. Due to size restrictions, carbine will need to be broken down into upper and lower. This is not intended to be a "get it up and running quick" carbine, so I have no problems with transporting it broken down.

Money is tight right now. I have some bills I need to pay, and I will be selling some equipment regardless of what I do with the BM. I would rather not spend an additional $300-$500 on a new rifle if I don't need to.

I am in between the "weekend plinker" and the "high-end user". I don't see this rifle being shot hard, or a lot, but it is intended for combat (low intensity, but still combat). If I ever need to get it out and put it together, other than for training, it's because something really bad happened and I may actually need it.

I worry that an AWB is looming, and I don't see myself being able to buy anything soon without first selling my BM.

Keeping my new tier-1 rifle in the car is not an option. If it's my only rifle, it needs better care and security.

I had thought of selling the BM and buying a Keltec S2K in 9mm, and while the ammo and mag interchangeability is appealing, and the cost is really appealing, I have doubts about its reliability and effectiveness. The sights too don't work well for me, but this is actually my fall-back option. If money gets to be so tight that I am forced to sell the BM and not buy a new tier-1, the S2K will likely get to job.

Ultimately, the choice is mine, but I could use some fresh ideas.

C4IGrant
09-08-09, 10:10
If you like the gun and it works for you, keep it and guy something else (if you have the money).

Two is one and one is none. ;)

C4

John_Wayne777
09-08-09, 10:20
2) Keep my BM and use it for the role I have in mind for my second rifle (whatever it is).

I've owned a Bushmaster rifle for a long time. It was my first AR-15 rifle. I've put 12,000 rounds through it just in formal training courses...not counting what I've put through it during my private range time.

It's never given me any problems.

Bushmaster *CAN* build a rifle that will go bang and that will offer a relatively trouble free service life...the problem is that their QC isn't good enough to guarantee that all the rifles they build will perform as well as mine has.

If you have one that works and you aren't really jazzed about selling it to finance another purchase....keep it. The important thing is that it works. If it functions reliably and you like it, drive on. Spend the saved money on training and practice, and then you too can experience the joy of outshooting dudes with 4 grand in a carbine using an oddly configured Bushmaster because you spent the rest of that money actually learning how to use the rifle. ;)

If the day comes where you really want to buy another rifle, take what you've learned here and apply it to your purchase decision...but don't feel like you have to ditch a rifle that runs just because it doesn't have brand X stamped on the receiver.

The purpose behind recommending weapons like the Daniel Defense rifles or the Colt 6920 is to offer folks the best possible shot of a weapon that works out of the box and that will offer an acceptable service life. If you already HAVE a rifle that works out of the box and that will probably offer an acceptable service life given your use, then you're already good to go.

My main home defense gun is that old Bushmaster. It works....and if I do have to use it and the cops take it, no big loss for me.

CarlosDJackal
09-08-09, 11:53
I still have my first ARs (Olympic Arms and Bushmasters). Unless you really need the cash to buy a Tier-1 rifle, just keep it as a backup. Even Tier-1 rifles do break on occasion. JM2CW.

askani79705
09-08-09, 12:23
Think of it as a Chevy versus a Mercedes,Your Chevy will get you to point B if you maintain it(which it sounds like you do).Is it as nice as the Mercedes? No,But it will provide you with what you need for now.
I own 2 RRAs that are about 8000 rnds in with no problem.I too have done the upgrades suggested here and am satisfied they will do the trick.Seems to me from the OP that your Bushie is good to go.

Be confident,keep it. buy better when you can afford it

geminidglocker
09-08-09, 13:04
I have a Bushy that has about 7000rds thru it without a hiccup. I did have to stake the gas key myself, aswell as the castle nut. I've maintained it well and it's been good to me. It's my "Bump-firing" gun.:D

Buck
09-08-09, 14:08
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w135/Desert_AIP/XM177_100.jpg
Here is a reworked Bushmaster XM177

First, FN does not sell parts to civilians, ever... If you have an unmarked bolt it is likely a generic bolt that some folks claim to come from a sub contractor that may or may not of at one time submitted a bolt or carrier for testing to FN… This is not an FN part… Almost any generic unmarked AR part you see listed says its from FN… Some are great, but some are QC rejects, some are out of spec, and most are not tested…

I have an early Bushmaster XM117 clone from 1992... Now I have maintained it, but it has never had any issues, other than the castle nut not being staked... Once upon a time in the 90s the rule for ARs was the ABCs... Stick with Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt...

It is likely time to change out the springs, and you may want to get a GI 4 position extension, H buffer and spring, FA bolt carrier with a tested bolt, and carbine extractor… These are PMs that would normally happen to any AR in government service…

B

M4arc
09-08-09, 15:01
moonshot - Keep it and shoot the piss out of it. Bushmaster can put out a great little carbine that can offer you many thousands of rounds of reliable service. It sounds like you've studied up and made a couple nice improvements and I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just to recap some of the issues I've seen with Bushmasters (and keep in mind all of these can be easily remedied):

- Broke bolts. All bolts will break, some sooner than others. Buy a good quality bolt and replace it at a regular interval like 5000 rounds.

- Poorly staked gas keys. You said yours looks good so press on.

- Poorely staked buffer tube castle nut. Easy, no cost fix.

- Canted front sight bases. Might have to go back to Bushmaster but will be fixed under warrenty.

I would have zero issues buying and running a Bushmaster provided I gave it a good once over and a few reliabity upgrades like a HD extractor spring and maybe an H buffer. Other than that buy a good sling, an Aimpoint or EoTech, some magazines and plenty of ammo.

On the magazines, you can finds some absolutely killer deals on USGI mags right now. Yes they aren't in fashion right now but they work and will save you money for ammo and training.

moonshot
09-08-09, 15:10
OK guys, thanks for the info. Please keep it coming. Now, a few notes in respinse to what's been offered so far.

I don't care if I keep it or sell it. I need something reliable for use under emergency conditions. It's not for use in Iraq, but it's not for use on a weekend trip to the range either.

I can't keep it and buy something else. I don't have the disposable income. To buy something else, I need to sell it first.

If it's reliable enough for my intended purpose - done deal. I like the idea of a second tier-1 just like my new rifle, for parts interchangeability if nothing else, but it's not a requirement. The key is to ensure that whatever I have is reliable and durable enough for my intended purpose.

It's not going to be a backup. Whatever rifle I settle on will be my primary travel/get home rifle. My better tier-1 will be kept under better security and storage conditions than my car gun. If the SHTF while at home, or I make it back, that will be the carbine I grab. If the SHTF while away from home, my car carbine gets the nod.

I don't know about the extension or buffer. The BM has a commercial extension with six position stock, and the carbine buffer has worked so far.

Carrier key is properly staked, but is stock BM. Is this good enough, or do I need a "better" carrier? Is my stock BM bolt good enough? I thought my FN bolt was better, but if it's not an FN, and I don't really know who made it, it might be worse than the stock BM bolt.

A new BCG from LMT or BCM or G&R would be ideal, but now I'm spending more than a little extra money on the BM. If I need to start upgrading parts to the tune of several hundred dollars, I may as well sell the BM and get another tier-1.

The only logical reason to keep the BM is if I don't need to spend much on upgrades.

moonshot
09-08-09, 15:22
M4arc -

I was writing my reply when yours came over, so I hadn't had a chance to read it. You are correct - my carrier key is staked properly and fixing the castle nut is easy and free.

My sight base is fine. I still don't know about the buffer, and my sling sucks. I'll worry about that later.

If I can get by with the BCG I have (either stock BM or BM carrier with whatever bolt I bought) - great.

If I need a new bolt - I guess I can justify that expense.

If I need a whole BCG, buffer, springs, etc - I may need to put it on gun broker.

Just how important is an aftermarket BCG or bolt? Could I run the stock BM bolt and use the other as a spare?

M4arc
09-08-09, 15:33
M4arc -

I was writing my reply when yours came over, so I hadn't had a chance to read it. You are correct - my carrier key is staked properly and fixing the castle nut is easy and free.

My sight base is fine. I still don't know about the buffer, and my sling sucks. I'll worry about that later.

If I can get by with the BCG I have (either stock BM or BM carrier with whatever bolt I bought) - great.

If I need a new bolt - I guess I can justify that expense.

If I need a whole BCG, buffer, springs, etc - I may need to put it on gun broker.

Just how important is an aftermarket BCG or bolt? Could I run the stock BM bolt and use the other as a spare?

Your buffer is the standard carbine buffer. I just prefer the H buffer but if I had to run a carbine buffer I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Your carrier is fine. Again I prefer the M16 and your Bushmaster (more than likely) came with the AR model (weights less). But it shouldn't effect reliability if its properly staked. If you bought an FN bolt from G&R Tactical you're good to go. Keep your Bushmaster bolt for a spare.

The bottom line is this; if you Bushmaster is reliable now, doesn't have feeding or cycling issues keep going with it. As things wear out like the bolt replace them with quality items like BCM stuff for instance.

Only time will tell if you can trust your life to it but I would say that about anything (LMT, Colt, BCM, etc). Shoot it with a varity of ammo, clean it, take good care of it and it will take care of you.