PDA

View Full Version : 20" barrel, long gas tube - cut to 16"

Tangotag
09-08-09, 11:36
This is something I had done a long time ago in hindsight I would have not done it.

I am dealing with a standard 20" barrel cut to 16" with a phantom flash suppressor. It has always functioned with a rifle length buffer & spring on a A2 stock.
I am switching to a Mil-Spec extension, MagPul ACS stock, H Buffer, and CMT carbine spring.

I would think that I might have to deal with some lack of gas pressure using a carbine buffer and spring. Maybe I am wrong? Any ideas?

I still need to order a Noveske QD end plate & QD swivel. Should I pick up a KX3 "flaming pig" gas booster, when parts become available?

This is more of a fun gun so flash suppression is not a concern. I just don't want it to be a short stroking single shot.;)

Mr.Goodtimes
09-08-09, 15:22
This is something I had done a long time ago in hindsight I would have not done it.

I am dealing with a standard 20" barrel cut to 16" with a phantom flash suppressor. It has always functioned with a rifle length buffer & spring on a A2 stock.
I am switching to a Mil-Spec extension, MagPul ACS stock, H Buffer, and CMT carbine spring.

I would think that I might have to deal with some lack of gas pressure using a carbine buffer and spring. Maybe I am wrong? Any ideas?

I still need to order a Noveske QD end plate & QD swivel. Should I pick up a KX3 "flaming pig" gas booster, when parts become available?

This is more of a fun gun so flash suppression is not a concern. I just don't want it to be a short stroking single shot.;)

if the H buffer proves to be too much you could always go down to a Carbine buffer.

Tangotag
09-27-09, 21:55
Now that its all put together, I gave it a test fire before and ran it today at an IDPA sidematch.
With an H buffer, a new carbine action spring, and Noveske KX3 it ran better than I had hoped. No malfunctions for it's initial limited run.
The gas impulse is quite different over short gas systems it seems more of a gradually smooth motion.
My new discovery, in one stage, at close target engagements the KX3 blast concentration tends to blow the center circle out of IDPA cardboard targets.:D
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee73/tangotag_bucket/IMG_4106.jpg