PDA

View Full Version : nutrition advice

andy t
09-08-09, 13:47
I have some extra weight that I would like to lose. I suspect it's staying on due to poor nutrition. I love sweets and carb rich foods, and despite working out, my weight stays fairly stable.
My typical daily nutrition as follows:
Breakfast:
Coffee with milk, two slices of whole grain bread with cheese, jam.
At work: I take with me a yogur, piece of string cheese, two apples, two bananacs and three Nutri grain bars and occasionally another piece of bread or a bag of nuts/raisins. I eat the above foods for 9 hours.
Once I get home, my dinner consists of some kind of protein - roast beef, hamburgers, etc...With corn, peas or french fries on the side.
Occasionally I have a bowl of cereal a few hours after dinner.

Another problem is that I am a picky eater and I don't eat fish/sea food and very little chicken. I do eat some vegetables.

I would appreciate any suggestions around improving my overall diet.

Derek_Connor
09-08-09, 16:19
In a real quick, drastic, brief summary:

You have to burn more calories than you take in on a daily basis. This is done by raising your body's overall metabolism.

When you shop for food, stay on the perimeter of the grocery store. Only venture down the isles for all natural nuts, legumes,spices, NON Processed carbohydrates (brown rice, oats, etc) and/or specialty foods. You want to be buying meat, veggies, and long burning carbs.

Cut everything out of your diet that has high fructose corn syrup. Try to be EXTREMELY vigilant of the amount of refined sugar, if any, you take in. All of your carbohydrates would be best to come from low glycemic index type carbs (whole oats, vegetables, and so on.)

Limit all trans-fat type intake as well, and replace it with healthy mono/poly fats. Be vigilant of the intake of those as well.

Try to limit your carbohydrate intakes to your early morning to mid afternoon meals/snacks. And into the later evening hours, try to ingest only protein and healthy fats mentioned above. Obviously, eat small meals, w/high protein through out the day. 5-6 is ideal. Protein should be lean meat, chicken/turkey are good choices. Red meats are fine as well, but do keep conscious of the high fat/cholesterol content on some cuts.

It seems like you have a dislike for meat in some way? If so, you'll need to supplement with another high protein, low fat source of food. I dont know much about TOFU, but there are plenty of protein supplements/substitutions out there today..

And in short, Hate your body. Diet will get you so far, you would benefit drastically from diet and exercise (cardio, light weight lifting, even just walking everyday).

Go to this website (sparkpeople.com) and keep track of your daily diet for the next 7 days. I think you will be amazed about the content break down...

People with "great" diets are usually shocked on the gaps they've left in their macronutrient tables.

And of course, water. Keep well hydrated.

And also, as always, consult a doctor first before taking any advice on the internet :)

offroad_nomad
09-09-09, 10:59
Following the birth of our daughter my weight slowly increased to 225 lbs, I'm 6'0 tall. The shocker came when my then 4.5 yo said I have a "Santa tummy." I made up my mind after that remark that I would loose the extra pounds and work my way back down to 190 lbs.

It really hasn't taken too much of a modification to my diet.

I cut my sugar intake: the sweets, cookies and donuts around the office - I do my best to ignore.

I eat in moderation, smaller portions and eat slower too.

I also cut out as much fried foods as possible.

Added a good salad to my dinners, no cheese or creamy dressings.

I eat a lot more fruit for snacks.

Lastly you have to exercise. Start slow and build up. I began my workouts with only riding 15 minutes and eventually worked up to 1 hour. I purchased a Schwinn 230 Recumbent Exercise Bike (http://www.schwinnfitness.com/schwinn-fitness/equipment/recumbentbikes/prdcdovr~370004/Schwinn+230+Recumbent+Exercise+Bike.jsp) when it was on sale and have it set up downstairs next to the TV and use it 5-7 days a week.

I'm down to 198 lbs (-27 lbs to date) with a bit more to go. Once you start your weight lose program, stick to it and you'll be surprised at the weight you drop. Good luck.

jhonmartin
09-30-09, 01:41
Hi Everyone..

Can someone point me to an information resource perhaps on the web that I can read and learn in order to start out with protein supplements? I take it that this is used to build muscle mass in the body?