PDA

View Full Version : Rifle burned optic

novan3
09-08-09, 15:36
Being an AR noobtoob, I'm not sure if this is normal or what.
Optic was mounted on last notch and once removed, 2 burn marks were discovered on the bottom.

Is this typical or perhaps a gas issues?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb77/novan3/002-36.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb77/novan3/005-16.jpg[/QUOTE]

Mac5.56
09-08-09, 15:49
I've read of malfunctions on the eotech battery pack if the optic was mounted on the last notches of a rail and the battery pack was sitting directly over the space between the hand guard and upper receiver. But I am know expert, all I know is what I've read, and that because of what I have read when I get my optic it will be mounted further back on my upper.

Failure2Stop
09-08-09, 16:20
It's just carbon. You're fine.

Iraqgunz
09-08-09, 16:44
Happens all of the time. I would recommend keeping the Eotech away from the front handguard area. I have seen the battery packs heat up and the contacts loosen. It could of also been caused by the ambient temperature in conjunction with the heat generated from shooting.

rychencop
09-08-09, 19:16
wow...never heard that. i moved mine back a few.

i just shot an email to Eotech with an attached pic asking about this. i'll post any reply i get.

Blankwaffe
09-08-09, 20:34
Happens all of the time. I would recommend keeping the Eotech away from the front handguard area. I have seen the battery packs heat up and the contacts loosen. It could of also been caused by the ambient temperature in conjunction with the heat generated from shooting.

IG,
Thats about the same question I had for you a couple months ago regarding the "flash behind the delta ring."
Never thought about the optics...good info.

Mr.Goodtimes
09-08-09, 21:41
this is proof that the eotech is an inferior optic to the aimpoint. the aimpoint would not have that funny burn mark. :rolleyes:

stealbear
09-08-09, 21:45
this is proof that the eotech is an inferior optic to the aimpoint. the aimpoint would not have that funny burn mark. :rolleyes:

sarcasm i hope.:confused:

decodeddiesel
09-08-09, 23:15

Quoted for the truth!

;)

Seriously though you have "blow out" from where some of the gas vent back out the front of the upper receiver around the gas tube. This gas hit the EOTech and created the carbon deposit. You really didn't burn anything at all. I would agree though, probably should move that thing back a little on your receiver.

rychencop
09-09-09, 06:41
We do not think this will hurt the sight… if there is not enough heat build up to blister the paint you should never have an issue with performance.

Sincerely

Mike Kroll

Customer Service Manager

L-3 EOTech

1201 E Ellsworth Rd

Ann Arbor Mi 48108

734 572 2176

"speed means survival"

Mr.Goodtimes
09-09-09, 07:14
sarcasm i hope.:confused:

sarcasm.

novan3
09-09-09, 11:19
We do not think this will hurt the sight… if there is not enough heat build up to blister the paint you should never have an issue with performance.

Sincerely

Mike Kroll

Customer Service Manager

L-3 EOTech

1201 E Ellsworth Rd

Ann Arbor Mi 48108

734 572 2176

"speed means survival"

Thanks. You're right, carbon wipes clean off and no ones' the wiser.

wargasm
09-09-09, 12:24
Install a gas buster charging handle and see if that helps. Just my .02.

decodeddiesel
09-09-09, 12:33
Install a gas buster charging handle and see if that helps. Just my .02.

Unless the user is running suppressed that would be a complete waste of $90.

Even if he were running suppressed it would not help this problem in any way, shape, or form.

A Gas Buster is designed to prevent gas from being vented back into the face of the shooter not forward out of the front of the receiver. In fact I am willing to bet a gas buster would further exasperate the problem as it blocks the gas from coming out the back of the receiver and forces it to find another way out, in this case the front.