PDA

View Full Version : Geissele SSA trigger for precision build?

wild_wild_wes
09-08-09, 23:03
I'm considering either the Geissele SSA or DMR triggers for this upcoming 6.5mm Grendel build:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k132/pseudonominus/GrendelM51.jpg

Its intended usage is for shooting Metallic Silhouettes. Would the SSA trigger be sufficient, or would the DMR trigger be worth the extra expense?

rob_s
09-09-09, 04:57
I'm using the SSA in my 6.8 version. I couldn't justify the added expense of the DMR to get more moving parts and the ability to tune the thing well past my shooting ability.

Mo_Zam_Beek
09-11-09, 23:28
I have a DMR. I have never played with an SSA. I hope someone with extensive time behind both chimes in.

I have had several other brands of 2x stage triggers. The DMR blows them all away. The way I did it and the way I would recommend doing it, is to install the DMR and shoot a few hundred rounds as it comes from the factory. At that point, if you are happy - leave it alone. If you want to tweek it at that point, pull it out, take it completely apart (adj screws out) and let it sit a couple of hours in a glass of acetone - I did not do this the first time and the loc tite never held, allowing the adjustments to self adjust. I went ahead and tweeked the spring for the for the first stage a small amount and then got the absolute finest second stage I have ever felt. Green loc tite and let it set. Shot it dry for a 100 rounds to confirm it wasn't going to self adjust and then greased it.

Just me, but when your trying to hit something small a long ways away the trigger is everything, b/c it is the only thing that the shooter directly interfaces with. Triggers are personal - like a wedge. The right amount of bounce and loft gives the stick swinger feed back and confidence at the same time. And like wedges, there is some trial and error in what you like. The DMR adjusts through that range of tastes.

I am gearing up for a middy build that will be my number one gun and I would like to know more about the SSA b/c if it is good (like head and shoulders better than a WOA tuned RRA) but at a healthy savings over the DMR - I want one.

Good luck

wild_wild_wes
09-12-09, 00:22
Basically what I was wondering is if the DMR trigger is too light for anything other than prone, long-range slow-fire. I'd like to hear what trigger 3-gunners are using, for instance.

Mo_Zam_Beek
09-12-09, 12:59
With the factory setting - no.

If you wanted it to be too light you need to aggressively bend the trigger spring on both sides and then significantly tweek the two adjustment screws that regulate the second stage.

Based on what you are asking for - if the SSA feels as good as the DMR as set by the factory I would say get the SSA.

Good luck

wild_wild_wes
09-12-09, 14:41
My gunsmith is currently building me a 5.56 SPR type rifle; I bought a Geissele DMR trigger for it. It is installed in the lower, and when I dry-fired it, that second stage break felt awefully light....just what you want for a precision rig, but for a running and gunning carbine I dunno. I'm new to this game, so I'll defer to the experts though.

Mo_Zam_Beek
09-12-09, 14:47
You should be able to crank it up (make it feel heavier) from the stock setting. Shoot it some first.

If it doesn't work out I am sure you will have no problem selling it.

Good luck

August
09-12-09, 19:27
The DMR is a wonderful thing! And, Geiselle is a wonderful guy who takes great pride in the quality of his work.

The trigger is way different than others and you can easily blow past the first and second stages if you loose your wits while shooting. Perhaps another way of say this is you will have to develop a new set of muscle memory to operate the DMR in a RF environment.

I have a DMR on a precision varmint and it is sweet. I found the only adjustment necessary was to compensate for the particular pin tolerances in the gun. It's clear to me that the trigger could be lighter -- particularly in the first stage. But, I can't imagine any practical value to making it so. To the contrary, a guy would probably want to install a heavier trigger spring for action games. That way, you'd get the glass-like break and a bit more "warning" before getting there.

threefeathers
09-13-09, 15:02
This is the best rigger made, bar none.

sholling
09-14-09, 01:35
I don't have anything close to extensive trigger time with either Geissele trigger but I own both the DMR and SSA. They are very close in feel. Out of the box my DMR had a 2-1/2lb 1st stage and broke at 4-1/2lbs. My SSA was just over 2lbs for the 1st stage and brakes at just over 4lbs but they feel so close to the same it's not funny. I'm sure there is some variation from example to example.

spr1
09-14-09, 18:17
My first one was the DMR, I have follwed that with several SSA's, as well as installing approximately the same mix in a friends weapons. The SSA's break in awfully nice. Just slightly more creep (if you are really paying attention) than the DMR/fully adjustable ones. When I put the DMR's in they had about a 2 lb first stage (IIRC) and a 1.25 lb second stage. Because of the distinct, crisp second stage, the take up weight for virtually any purpose felt almost irrelevant (at that low a number). We both opted to put the service rifle trigger spring in, and have not looked back. The first stage is now around 3 lbs.
If I was routinely shooting with higher magnifications and wanted maximum precision, I think the original DMR trigger spring might make a small improvement in system (human plus gun) accuracy.
My primary purpose for the gun I installed the DMR in was 3-gun.

bluedog
09-15-09, 10:44
My SSA is slightly heavier and has some grit and overtravel, in comparison to a Hi Speed in Service Rifle configuration.

CarlosDJackal
09-15-09, 12:03
Has anyone used the Geissele SSA trigger in a fighting rifle or carbine and run it through a multi-day training course? If so, any issues or complaints that you can share?

I just ordered one from Viking Tactics last night and I'm anxious to see what advantages it will provide once installed.

spr1
09-15-09, 19:11
On the gritty SSA, have you cleaned the snot out of it and greased it per the instructions? I reapply a proper grease on every outing, especially when they are new.

jsebens
09-15-09, 19:53
Can I get back to you with a review on Monday? Fri/Sat/Sun I'll be running an SSA through a Bennie Cooley class.

Has anyone used the Geissele SSA trigger in a fighting rifle or carbine and run it through a multi-day training course? If so, any issues or complaints that you can share?

I just ordered one from Viking Tactics last night and I'm anxious to see what advantages it will provide once installed.

bluedog
09-15-09, 21:47
On the gritty SSA, have you cleaned the snot out of it and greased it per the instructions? I reapply a proper grease on every outing, especially when they are new.

Not on every outing but at a decent interval--I should check it anyway. The grit and overtravel I was referring to, was in direct comparison to the Hi Speed. Viewed strictly as a service-grade trigger the SSA is stellar.

wild_wild_wes
09-15-09, 22:33
Can I get back to you with a review on Monday? Fri/Sat/Sun I'll be running an SSA through a Bennie Cooley class.

Please do!

DRich
09-16-09, 00:00

I've run two different SSA equipped carbines through three different multi-day courses over the past year. One was a two-day course with ~800rds fired and the others were three-day courses with ~1000rds fired.

Both triggers performed flawlessly with no perceptible change feel. My trigger pull gauge showed no change in weight. The pull and break are consistent from shot to shot all day long. I currently have five "general purpose" AR's and I've equipped them all with SSA's. My primary AR is a Sabre Defence M4 with an SSA and I've put just over 9k down the pipe on that particular trigger. It's still as smooth and crisp as the day I installed it.

Prior to the SSA, I had been using Bill Springfield triggers on my carbines. Bill can make the USGI trigger feel pretty damn good and I recommend his work to anyone who asks. I'd trust my life to his triggers and I still keep them in my range box. However, I feel the SSA is just as reliable as any USGI trigger (modded or not) while offering a far superior feel.

Of course, you could have several USGI triggers worked over by Bill for the price of a single SSA trigger. Still, the SSA is worth the extra money to me. It's one of the very few AR accessories that actually lives up to the hype, IMO.

Mo_Zam_Beek
09-16-09, 10:17
With respect to the SSA and grit - I'd assume that if you took some very fine metal polish and a buffing wheel on a dremel you would take care of it. I have done that to several MIL spec triggers and it has made quite a difference.

Good luck

bluedog
09-16-09, 10:44
I don't do buffing and dremeling on components.

CarlosDJackal
09-16-09, 11:52

That would be great. Thanks!!

CarlosDJackal
09-16-09, 12:27
With respect to the SSA and grit - I'd assume that if you took some very fine metal polish and a buffing wheel on a dremel you would take care of it. I have done that to several MIL spec triggers and it has made quite a difference.

Good luck

Not sure if this applies to the SSA triggers, but I'd be careful about doing something like this might result in a heavier trigger. The reason for this caution is certain firearms components may have been hardened on the surface only.

Thus, any grinding or buffing that removes the hardened layers will expose the softer layers that can be easily marred. This will result in a heavier trigger. So unless you know that the parts you will be buffing is hardened throughout or if you are sure you will not be removing the hardened layers, I'd be careful doing this. YMMV.

erik_
09-16-09, 12:37
+1. If an SSA is rough or gritty and cleaning/re-greasing doesn't help, it should go back to Bill Geissele for warranty/checkup. The SSA is a precision trigger with duty-level trigger pull to meet the needs of many LEO/SWAT/MIL/GOV requirements. Just because it has a 5 lb pull doesn't mean it's in the same category as GI triggers or other duty-grade two-stage triggers. ;)

Ratfink
03-19-10, 09:02
i just got my first ssa trigger this week and have already put 1500 rounds downrange this week on it kinda went shooting crazy but i did not experience any grit and imho this trigger is perfect i do not like adjustable triggers at all they come unadjusted at the worst moment possible and i bought this trigger for the fact that it is non adjustable and i was no going to pay for the wilson unit and the great reputation

i do not understand what the grit statements are about i can not find any at all my trigger is very smooth with a typlcal "glass rod breaking" 2nd stage break and it has brought my long distance groups down to a much smaller size i have already ordered another one of these to put in my coyote armalite to replace the armalite 2stage