PDA

View Full Version : Spare Parts?

Shihan
02-12-07, 01:53
Hello everyone, im stocking up on some spare parts for some of my pistols and was wondering what you good INFORMED people keep for spare AR parts?

1. Do you keep a complete bolt carrier or just the bolt as a spare?

2. Since the buffer spring(please inform if im incorrect) acts somewhat like a recoil spring how long are they good for and is it advised to keep a spare?

3. Please tell what else you think is needed?

My service carbines have always been maintained by the unit armorer and I have always had the pick of the new weapons(nice to be the old man) and have never had to worry about replacing anything on my own.

Thanks

Eric Cartman
02-12-07, 17:53
Spare AR parts:

spare firing pin
spare firing pin retaining pin
spare extractor
spare extractor pin
spare extractor spring
spare extractor spring insert
spare ejector
spare ejector spring
spare ejector pin
spare gas rings (or McFarland single gas ring)

spare MPI'ed bolt(complete)
spare shrouded bolt carrier, with properly staked gas key

Springs - use CS springs,

replace extractor/ejector springs - every 5k rounds;

action spring - there is a minimum length these should get to, but that depends on whether you are using a carbine spring or rifle spring.

Shihan
02-12-07, 23:31
Thanks for the info

AR-15A3
02-12-07, 23:46
I have the following spares:

A complete LPK (lower parts kit)

A complete BCG (LMT - MPI, properly staked carrier key screws with Wolff extractor spring and Crane O-ring)

A spare carbine. :D

Bushytale
02-13-07, 00:01
Cartman covered most of the important stuff but I would add a fire control group containing the hammer and spr, trigger and spr, diconnector and spr as these are also parts that take a beating. I would also want to have a charging handle and receiver extension. Part of the formula that I use to decide on spares for a particular system goes to the number of weapons and the qty of ammo for the same.

:) Billy

AMMOTECH
02-13-07, 17:58
Let's not forget a punch set and a broken shell extractor? Cheap insurance. All should fit into your cleaning kit.

Shihan
02-26-07, 23:12
Now for the 64,000 question, can one of you kind people give me a timetable on when to replace parts?

Thanks

l2e
02-27-07, 12:22
I have multiple spares of every small part including but not limited to :

Bolt
Bolt rings
Extractor
Extractor spring
Extractor insert
Extractor oring
Extractor pin
Carrier
Carrier key
Carrier key screws
Firing pin
Firing pin retainer
Cam pin
Ejector
Ejector pin
2 or 3 complete LPK
Carbine buffers (standard, H, H2, H3, 9mm)
Cabine buffer springs
Castle nuts
carbine gas tubes
gas tube pins
couple charging handles
delta ring assemblies
handguard retainer

I think that is it. I hate having to wait for parts if something breaks. I like to be up and shooting again as soon as possible.

Shihan
02-27-07, 18:30
Thats alot of parts. I ment something like recomend replacement of

Flux capacitor 5,000rounds
Thing a majig 7,000 rounds
watchmacallit 10,000 rounds

etc.

Im thinking of buying a complete LMT and a few CMT stripped lowers to keep as im thinking some kind of band is going to happen sooner than later. I bought a PS90 awhile back but after using the black rifle for the last 18 years for aliving its hard to give up!

Thanks

Eric Cartman
02-27-07, 18:56
I read somewhere, maybe here, to change the ejector and extractor springs - every 5,000 rounds.

Depending on whether you are using a rifle or carbine stock, there is a minimum length you should let the action spring compress to. The free length of a rifle spring should be between 11-3/4 and 13-1/2 inches and 10-1/16 and 11-1/4 inches for a carbine.

The extractor itself - if you run your finger over the "claw", you should feel what feels like two little "teeth' or "sharp claws" at each end.

Check the gas rings by removing the firing pin and cam pin, then holding the BCG so that the bolt is hanging, facing down, on its own. If the bolt falls out, then it is time to replace the gas rings.

Anything else, inspect for cracks, or other damage, and replace as necessary.