PDA

View Full Version : British Paras and RMs Rescue NY Times Reporter

parishioner
09-09-09, 11:14
http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/timestopics/people/f/stephen_farrell/index.html

Too bad the above article conveniently didn't mention the British Commando that died during the operation.

Another article with more info....http://news.aol.com/article/new-york-times-reporter-stephen-farrell/658079

Honu
09-09-09, 18:18
typical of the NY times !!!

Voodoochild
09-09-09, 19:24
I am sure that the NY Times will write a hit piece on how the British Commandos were overly aggressive and used excessive force.

Thirdeye
09-09-09, 19:48
Why trade a good soldier for a NY times reporter? RIP.

JackOSU
09-09-09, 19:52

AMEN...we need to just shell out as many of those unAmerican commie bastards at the times we can and leave them there!

RIP to the fallen SAS member and prayers to his family.

c0b2a
09-09-09, 19:53
I am sure that the NY Times will write a hit piece on how the British Commandos were overly aggressive and used excessive force.

someone beat them too it.

"Questions raised over bloody raid to free British journalist in Afghanistan" (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/09/raid-afghanistan-journalist-diplomat-questions)

Gutshot John
09-09-09, 20:02
Mmmm let's see.

A cynical man might say that Gordon wanted to prove his bona-fides against terrorism in light of the Libyan deal. :eek:

I hope for the sake of the dead commando that this is not the case.

parishioner
09-09-09, 20:12
Mmmm let's see.

A cynical man might say that Gordon wanted to prove his bona-fides against terrorism in light of the Libyan deal. :eek:

I hope for the sake of the dead commando that this is not the case.

Lets hope he didn't learn from Clinton when he bombed the Aspirin factory in Sudan during the Monica ordeal.

SteyrAUG
09-09-09, 23:40

First thing that came to my mind.

NY Times should have done a front page tribute.

Typical.

30in1
09-10-09, 10:58
The first thing that journalist should have done was write a front page article in honor of the fallen SAS commando that sacrificed his life for the journalist's freedom.

Let me guess, not gonna happen.

John_Wayne777
09-10-09, 11:41
someone beat them too it.

"Questions raised over bloody raid to free British journalist in Afghanistan" (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/09/raid-afghanistan-journalist-diplomat-questions)

...and we've hit a new low.

bauer007
09-11-09, 20:28
"No greater love a man has than to lay down his life for a friend." RIP

11Bravo
09-11-09, 22:05
British Special Forces Rescue NY Times Reporter

You know, those guys are pretty good at that.
Good on 'em.

bauer007
09-11-09, 22:10
Could you imagine the look on those ragheads when they crashed the party. P.S. I can say "raghead" can't I? Reference U.S. Constitution, 1st Amendment

parishioner
09-11-09, 22:19
Could you imagine the look on those ragheads when they crashed the party. P.S. I can say "raghead" can't I? Reference U.S. Constitution, 1st Amendment

Its 9/11. Say any derogatory term that applies to them. Please.

bauer007
09-11-09, 22:24
Its 9/11. Say any derogatory term that applies to them. Please.

Copy that. You know I saw one the other day at an intersection and I thought to myself "You know if I were O.J. I could kill them and get away with it." I've gotten rather militant lately. I don't know what's wrong with me. But I like it.

parishioner
09-11-09, 22:34
Copy that. You know I saw one the other day at an intersection and I thought to myself "You know if I were O.J. I could kill them and get away with it." I've gotten rather militant lately. I don't know what's wrong with me. But I like it.

Just to be clear, I was referring more to the radical ones and not just someone who looks like they could be. Derogatory terms should be reserved for the ones who deserve it. Now If they had a death to america bumper sticker of some sort, then I would expect nothing less than you running them off the road. :)

bauer007
09-11-09, 22:40
Just to be clear, I was referring more to the radical ones and not just someone who looks like they could be. Derogatory terms should be reserved for the ones who deserve it. Now If they had a death to america bumper sticker of some sort, then I would expect nothing less than you running them off the road. :)

They looked a little militant. Now I know that doesn't make them militant. They very well could cling to the bible and guns like I do but I doubt it. If Vegas doesn't give odds on it there's a reason.

QuickStrike
09-12-09, 05:04
They looked a little militant. Now I know that doesn't make them militant. They very well could cling to the bible and guns like I do but I doubt it. If Vegas doesn't give odds on it there's a reason.

That's flippin' ridiculous. Life ain't a Disney movie, you can't tell everybody's character and intents just based on looks. :rolleyes:

I effkin' hate getting that look from morons.

Anyway, an SAS trooper for a damn reporter. Not a fair trade. :( The dead interpreter gets more mention. :/

Edit:

An article by the reporter:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/07/world/middleeast/07falluja.html?_r=1

Italian dude goes sight seeing around Iraq, alone.

WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE??!!1

Is it really necessary to rescue these retards?

Iraq Ninja
09-12-09, 07:41
Well, it wasn't Brit special forces according to the Brit press.

The troops were from the Para Reg, along with some bootnecks. These are considered Elite Forces, not Special Forces. SF is used to describe SAS, SBS.

Thus, the soldier killed was not SAS. The troops who did the raid deserve the proper recognition and probably would not appreciate being labled SAS...

Safetyhit
09-12-09, 09:01
That's flippin' ridiculous. Life ain't a Disney movie, you can't tell everybody's character and intents just based on looks. :rolleyes:

So then Israel should eliminate profiling at airports and go back to searching grandma while the wild eyed muslim man slips by? Now that's even more flippn' ridiculous.

Anyway, I don't have the slightest clue why we have these repeated international incidents over a bunch of idiots walking about in places they shouldn't be. They aren't there to help anyone, they just want the big scoop so they can further their careers.

I say let them rot.

buddyhoohaw
09-12-09, 12:10

The troops were from the Para Reg, along with some bootnecks. These are considered Elite Forces, not Special Forces. SF is used to describe SAS, SBS.

Thus, the soldier killed was not SAS. The troops who did the raid deserve the proper recognition and probably would not appreciate being labled SAS...

Bootnecks = Royal Marine Commandos?

I read somewhere it was a joint effort between Para's & RMC's; regardless of beret color, they are world class soldiers and my condolences go out to his family.

Cheers

NickB
09-12-09, 14:05

I've got a good mate in the SRR who would kick you in the teeth if he read this! :p

Iraq Ninja
09-12-09, 15:45
The lads on my team are mostly ex Para, Marines, and Black Watch. The Brits have a concept of unit pride that I think is 2nd to none.

NickB is correct, the SRR is also considered SF.

NickB
09-12-09, 15:51
The lads on my team are mostly ex Para, Marines, and Black Watch. The Brits have a concept of unit pride that I think is 2nd to none.

NickB is correct, the SRR is also considered SF.

Next time you're with a group of Royal Marines, just say the words "naked bar" and see what happens.

parishioner
09-12-09, 16:24
The Brits have a concept of unit pride that I think is 2nd to none.

Why do you think that is?

I remember reading something that I thought was interesting and that was that the British Army's regiments are made up of counties, I guess meaning that you train and fight with people that you grew up with as a kid in your area. I can see how this would benefit unit cohesion.

Iraq Ninja
09-12-09, 16:26
Naked Bar... not my cup of tea Nick. LOL.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_01/RumpaBarL_468x346.jpg

NickB
09-12-09, 16:28

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Good God, man! I'm sitting in my hotel room laughing my ass off! HAHAHAHAHA! I wish I could post my own photos, but they're FAR too incriminating!

Iraq Ninja
09-12-09, 16:42
Why do you think that is?

I remember reading something that I thought was interesting and that was that the British Army's regiments are made up of counties, I guess meaning that you train and fight with people that you grew up with as a kid in your area. I can see how this would benefit unit cohesion.

Basically yes. It can also be a family tradition. For instance, maybe your Dad and Grampa both served in the Black Watch. So you join up. BTW, the Black Watch is gone now, and a lot of Scots are not happy about it. It is like when us Rangers lost our Black Berets...

QuickStrike
09-12-09, 16:43
So then Israel should eliminate profiling at airports and go back to searching grandma while the wild eyed muslim man slips by? Now that's even more flippn' ridiculous.

I didn't mention anything about airport sercurity. Dunno, all the mugshots of those sh!tbags I've seen doesn't make them appear wild-eyed or abnormal at all. It's not that easy to tell.

Sometimes it's kinda necessary yes... But your average joe shouldn't go around giving people the stink-eye just because they look like they don't follow the bible and such.

It really does nothing but alienate folks. There is a difference between being alert/cautious around statistically troublesome types and some uncultured f*ck dislikin' anyone different. Their eyes say everything. Get enough looks and you can tell.

Only use teh hate as directed, improper application may cause irritation or worse. :p

Sorry about the derail folks...

Edit: lol, man asses. :(

Safetyhit
09-12-09, 18:45

As much fun as that looks like it is.....I would pass.

And also run from the scene.