PDA

View Full Version : Integrated Gas Keys/Monolithic Bolt Carriers

CharlieMike
09-10-09, 10:46
Hi!

Has anyone ever had to replace a gas key? I don't expect many people to answer yes to this but I might be wrong. :)

I was wondering if it would make sense to make bolt carriers with integrated gas keys. This seems like it would alleviate the need to have well staked gas keys.

TY44934
09-10-09, 10:57
"had to replace" - ?? No, I have never been required to replace one.

However, on high-round-count weapons, many sources suggest replacing BOTH the gas key and gas tube together (along with new rings of course), as they wear over time & do not seal as effectively as when new.

From a machining standpoint, the costs of making a monolithic carrier do not outweigh the hypothetical benefits. Besides, if replacement were ever needed, you would have to buy a new carrier as opposed to just the key.

FYI: monolithic carriers ARE made for many of the newer piston (as opposed to D.I.) carbines out there. Piston guns generally cost more than comparable DI guns.

Heavy Metal
09-10-09, 11:25
Bad Idea.

I have seen them damaged by being dropped onto a hard surface. Plus, primers get stuck inside carrier keys. This would make the whole carrier a paperweight.