PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Stainless Recon or SPR?

mechelaar
09-10-09, 15:56
I've been working on putting together an accurized AR and have been debating on whether to pick up a Noveske stainless 16.1 Recon barrel or their 18" SPR barrel. This rifle isn’t really going to be used for practical purposes. It’s probably going to be a range toy.

Regarding the SPR, I like the velocity improvement of the longer barrel, but I'm a little uncomfortable with the intermediate length gas system. Maybe this sounds silly and paranoid, but I’m a little concerned about parts availability and interchangeability in the long run. I know that it is unlikely that I would need to replace the gas tube on a relatively low round count rifle, but I would prefer to keep my rifles as adaptable as possible.

Regarding the Recon, I already have a 16" middy and a 14.5" carbine. I feel like picking up another mid length would be a waste of a gun. I also really seems like 18” is a sweet spot for velocity vs. length.

I guess the last option would be to get a high quality 18” barrel from somewhere else with a rifle length gas system. Of course, I would kinda feel like an ass running a Noveske lower (which I already have) without at least a Noveske barrel. :D

Just wanted to know what you guys would do.

KYPD
09-10-09, 16:31
For a range toy, or a varmint gun that you will not see use in a vehicle or CQB, short barrel length is simply a matter of appearance, and only decreases performance.

If you like increased velocity, and want standard parts availability, go with a standard rifle-length 20" barrel with a standard rifle-length gas system.

Failure2Stop
09-10-09, 17:44
I really like my 18" Noveske SPR with intermediate gas.
The whole gun is setup to shoot hard and fast, and it does it with aplomb.
It isn't a social use gun per se (I have others for that purpose), so it is free of anything that doesn't pertain to the games I shoot.
The big thing that stands it apart is the overall balance of the gun, though that has more to do with the gun as a whole than it does to the barrel individually. The weight of the barrel isn't a bad thing, as it (along with a DNTC comp) keeps the gun very flat during recoil.
The 12" rail I have on it give me a lot of options as far as supporting the gun, and lets me get my support-side hand way out there without any wasted space.
The external ballistics advantage of a 20" barrel vs a 16" barrel are negligable, and the distances at which hold-over becomes an issue will require a distinct hold-over regardless. You still gotta know your holds, so don't get wound up in a 1.5 inch difference in drop at 400 since the overall drop will be much greater.

There is a reason that most 3-gunners trot around with 17 to 18 inch barrels- it's all you need (applicable to both emphasis points). That isn't to say that 16" guns can't hang, as personal preference does play a distinct role in superior performance.

ramrod
09-10-09, 23:54
I run an gun with a 18 in noveske SPR!
What Failure2Stop said.

bkb0000
09-11-09, 00:26
the only part you'll need to worry about is the gas tube.. and if you're concerned, you can simply order and extra tube or two and stash them.

i have a nov SPR and a recce.. i dont think i've fired the recce once since the SPR was assembled. they're very similar weapons- weigh almost exactly the same, both are sub MOA with the right load.

but they both have their uses, for me. come Coast Centerfire Buck season in about a month, i'll be taking the recce. coast buck is almost alway inside 200m, and you're generally working in very thick underbrush. if i was hunting Eastern Buck this year, i'd take the SPR- 600m+ shots are not common, simply because most people cant shoot that far- but the shots are available. the SPR's ever so slightly flatter trajectory and longer term ballistics would be more practical, and there's no underbrush to fight.

get the SPR.. might as well have a little extra versatility in the arsenal.

mechelaar
09-11-09, 03:16
Thanks for the replies so far. Lots of good food for thought. :)

lanceriley
09-11-09, 04:47
can't you cut rifle length gas tube to become intermediate gas tube length?

bkb0000
09-11-09, 05:16
can't you cut rifle length gas tube to become intermediate gas tube length?

i've heard mention of gas tubes being cut.. no clue how easily that can be done. a manufactured tube is turned and bulged at the key end, and obviously no cutting is happening at the block end.

lanceriley
09-11-09, 06:01
tube cutter and a flare tool?

Todd.K
09-11-09, 12:39
tube cutter and a flare tool?

No. The end is not flared, the relief is cut from the tube.

mechelaar
09-13-09, 01:59
Thanks for all the replies. Right now I'm leaning toward the 18". However, Noveske only lists the 16" in stock. Any idea how long they usually take to restock.

Turnkey11
09-13-09, 04:23
Rainier has a 18" Noveske barrel in stock, almost bought it last night.