PDA

View Full Version : Pinned gas block, or front sight post?

Matt2124
09-11-09, 04:06
Ok fellas I have a build on the horizon, well maybe beyond the horizon. Probably not going to be getting started after the first of the year, but I am trying to plan ahead and such to be prepared. Step one in the new build is that I have a LMT lower on the way supposedly. I ordered it this spring thought my FFL but hasn't arrived yet. This is really no big deal since funds are tight right now, and I know that they are backed logged bad so I'm just standing by patiently. Now what I am debating is on the upper I want. I really want a Larue Stealth upper. And I thought I was set on getting the 16" DMR upper with the front sight post. But this is kinda going to be a DMR/SPR type of build with a nice new ACOG on top of it when I'm done with it hopefully. And while I was shooting today through my Aimpoint with my front sight post, just the way I like it, I got to thinking.....Do I want a dedicated front sight post in my line of sight when using a ACOG? Would that possibly hinder me in any way from using the ACOG to its potential and being effective with the sight?

I realize that I'm kinda wanting my cake and to eat it too with this build. I want a rifle that I can effectively reach out say 200 to 400, and 400 being the max distance I can train on given the ranges around here. But I also want to be able to handle cqb problems/drills/shtf also. I'm wanting to either get a ACOG with a red dot on top or get a ACOG and mount a T-1 on top with a Larue mount.

Anyway I don't really know if this belongs in the Custom Build Forum or in the Optics and Mounts Forum. I figured since this is part of my custom build I'd start it here.

And to the mod's if this is in the wrong forum please move it.

So anyone with running magnified ACOGS with and without the front sight post/front sight base let me know how its working for you and what you recommend.

Matt

ra2bach
09-17-09, 09:22
Matt, if no one seems to be answering your question it might be because it's a little confusing. you start out by asking about FSB or pinned gas block, then move onto a bunch of other stuff.

assuming you're asking about an FSB with an ACOG, I'd have to ask what power ACOG? at 3 or 4 power, it's not likely that you will even be able to detect the front sight.

rrpederson
09-17-09, 09:59
to start off, i hope my input can help, that is just my opinion. if i am wrong with anything i have posted here, i hope that someone with more combat or technical experience will correct me. while deployed in iraq, i was issued an m16a4. flat top receiver, 20" barrel and fixed front sight post. this configuration worked very well. i made confirmed shots on plastic targets out to 800 meters. when i say confirmed, i mean i went out and saw it. to be perfectly honest, it took me numerous tries, and the best i could do was a single hit in the left shoulder. not perfect, but at least one of the rounds hit, out that far. this was working with, less than perfect, government equipment. human targets only about 400 meters away. anyway, with that setup, there was very little to no noticeable obstruction of the scope's view. if there was any, it was so little that it did not hinder me from doing anything.

however, my recommendation, if your funding allows, would be a fully free-floating barrel and quad rail setup, with some type of folding iron sights, in addition to the short range red dot and acog. in addition, i will add that the acog uses the bindon aiming concept, where there is no need to close your non-shooting eye, in order to fire. so for example, when engaging a target in a cqb situation, if you place the reticle on the target, it will still impact the target. this method may not be recommended in a perfect environment, but if you are like me, you may not have the extra money for the red dot. i will typically only run a single optic in addition to the iron sights. i see it as one less thing to fail, thus enhancing my proficiency with the other sighting devices.

i hope i answered your question, or at least helped a little.

richie

Matt2124
09-19-09, 03:27
Sorry I guess I got a little carried away with the wording here. My basic question is with an ACOG should I run a Fixed FSB or iron sights with a gas block?

Matt, if no one seems to be answering your question it might be because it's a little confusing. you start out by asking about FSB or pinned gas block, then move onto a bunch of other stuff.

assuming you're asking about an FSB with an ACOG, I'd have to ask what power ACOG? at 3 or 4 power, it's not likely that you will even be able to detect the front sight.

to start off, i hope my input can help, that is just my opinion. if i am wrong with anything i have posted here, i hope that someone with more combat or technical experience will correct me. while deployed in iraq, i was issued an m16a4. flat top receiver, 20" barrel and fixed front sight post. this configuration worked very well. i made confirmed shots on plastic targets out to 800 meters. when i say confirmed, i mean i went out and saw it. to be perfectly honest, it took me numerous tries, and the best i could do was a single hit in the left shoulder. not perfect, but at least one of the rounds hit, out that far. this was working with, less than perfect, government equipment. human targets only about 400 meters away. anyway, with that setup, there was very little to no noticeable obstruction of the scope's view. if there was any, it was so little that it did not hinder me from doing anything.

however, my recommendation, if your funding allows, would be a fully free-floating barrel and quad rail setup, with some type of folding iron sights, in addition to the short range red dot and acog. in addition, i will add that the acog uses the bindon aiming concept, where there is no need to close your non-shooting eye, in order to fire. so for example, when engaging a target in a cqb situation, if you place the reticle on the target, it will still impact the target. this method may not be recommended in a perfect environment, but if you are like me, you may not have the extra money for the red dot. i will typically only run a single optic in addition to the iron sights. i see it as one less thing to fail, thus enhancing my proficiency with the other sighting devices.

i hope i answered your question, or at least helped a little.

richie

Thanks for the input guys. It seems to me that even with a ACOG a fixed FSB will not affect use of the ACOG. This is what I was wondering. I will always have back up irons cause Mr. Murphy LOVES me but just trying to determine which to go with fixed or pinned.

Thanks again
Matt

ra2bach
09-19-09, 13:42
Sorry I guess I got a little carried away with the wording here. My basic question is with an ACOG should I run a Fixed FSB or iron sights with a gas block?

Thanks for the input guys. It seems to me that even with a ACOG a fixed FSB will not affect use of the ACOG. This is what I was wondering. I will always have back up irons cause Mr. Murphy LOVES me but just trying to determine which to go with fixed or pinned.

Thanks again
Matt

that's what I was trying to get at, Matt. I am seeing less and less reason to go with anything but a fixed front sight, for any reason.

with an RDS, you can co-witness (absolute or 1/3). and with a magnified optic, anything over about three power makes the sight invisible.

to me, a folding sight simply adds more complexity that can reduce durabililty.

Matt2124
09-19-09, 16:49
that's what I was trying to get at, Matt. I am seeing less and less reason to go with anything but a fixed front sight, for any reason.

with an RDS, you can co-witness (absolute or 1/3). and with a magnified optic, anything over about three power makes the sight invisible.

to me, a folding sight simply adds more complexity that can reduce durabililty.

Cool thanks bro, I do run a RDS with a front sight and folding rear sight. I like the sight picture I get but was unsure what would happen when I threw some magnification into the equation.

Matt