PDA

View Full Version : Notebooks

bkb0000
09-11-09, 05:58
I need a new notebook. I hate to contribute to the cluttering of the board with stupid ****in threads like "hewp me, i need a new notebook!" but the fact of the matter is, i trust most of you guys more than some pimply kid at the office supply store or elitist computer geeks on computer forums that will tell me i need the $4,000 Noveske of notebooks and nothing less.

my notebook has been making "crunchy" sounds, usually accompanied by odd "squaks" and "squeeks," which is quickly followed by a drastic digression of performance for an indefinate period of time. today it's been giving me a warning that says something to the effect of "self-destruct sequence activated, better back up your shit." everythings already backed up on an external disk, though.

my current notebook is a dell inspiron 1501.. got it at wally world for $500 about a year and a half ago. before that i had a Toshiba Somethingerother that Uncle Sam paid something around $2,300 for.. it lasted me 5-6 years and never gave me any problems, till i put my fist through the screen one bad day.

anyway.. the 1501 is more my price range. i'm not into spending a lot of money on something i use solely for writing contracts and tippitytyping on the internet. i also don't want a piece of shit that's going to squak and squeek and crunch at me and FAIL me at the worst time. this one has done pretty decent as a work notebook.. it's been thrown, dropped, punched, sat on, stood on, and even thrown through a piece of sheetrock once (i'm serious)... so i'm willing to accept it's current state might very well be my fault.

recommendations appreciated.

09-11-09, 06:50
I'd search Costco, Wally World, Sam's Club, etc. and look for a name brand at a cheap price. Latest Costco coupon catalog has an HP dv4t w/4GB memory, 14.1in screen, 320GB hard drive, and comes with a printer for $599. Also has another HP at $549, Dell at $699. If you're mainly using it as a word processor then these would fit the bill; not bad for anything, really. Good middle of the road computers.

sadmin
09-11-09, 08:06
A couple suggestions as well: Asus and Acer are not as well known to the average consumer as HP or Dell; but a few of their models are quality and can be had on the cheap. You typically wont be paying for the the bundled software that comes with the big names. Im an application analyst in health care and I have a $$$$ notebook and then one I wanted for home use that is just for the web and light office work. I think I spent around 350.00 from Buy.com. If you are OK with older models, the Thinkpad T41 and the Dell D620 were great models. The 620 is available for 341.00 on Buy.com at the moment.

Alex F
09-11-09, 08:08
Hit Newegg.com and check out the brand names. They usually have some decent sales going on, too.

Preferred User
09-11-09, 08:13
Not trying to talk you out of spending money to stimulate the economy, but a laptop should last longer than 1.5 years.

The Inspirons have an ugly habit of sucking fuzz into the fans which contributes to the odd noises. Fortunately there is an easy fix. Open the laptop all the way (until it is flat). Just above the keyboard there is a panel that opens on the right/hinges on the left. A small flat-blade screwdriver will pop it open pretty easily. Take the crevice tool on your vacuum and suck out the gunk. After that you can use some compressed air, try not to force gunk further into the case, to finish cleaning up.

If you really want a new laptop LMK and I can narrow down some suggestions if I get a little more detail about your needs.

Adam_s
09-11-09, 08:24
BKB:
It sounds to me as if the hard drive is going in that machine. However, those are fairly easy to replace, and you can get a large/fast one for under $100. Don't go to best buy and get one, get the neighborhood geek kid to do it, and buy him a 6-pack of beer (that's what I charged back in undergrad, with the quality/quantity of beer being on a sliding scale based on the work being done). You can find drives cheap on both Newegg.com, as well as Amazon.com. PM me if you'd like, and I can discuss it a little further.

If you are dead set on a new laptop, what are your criteria for it, other than durability? Screen size, storage, etc.

LMK if I can help.
-Adam

Spiffums
09-11-09, 08:36
If its not an IBM, it's just a clone. As you can see on "This Chart" of laptops the IBM is allll the way to the left hand side. An Acer isn't as good as..........

All kidding aside, I have good luck out of the middle of the pack of Dell Laptops. I have seen some bad reviews of Acer laptops but I think most are the Wal-mart special.

Tiger Direct has some killer deals on laptops. Some are refurbs and some are just over stocks. It is worth checking out to see if you can find soemthing suitable for you there.

ra2bach
09-11-09, 08:42
mechanical noises sound like a hard drive issue. I got a Fujitsu as they have a shock sensor that actually protects the platter when it is subjected to knocks while running and locks it solid when turned off. also, the keyboard is waterproof.

I carry my notebook in the bags of my motorcycle often and the vibration made this a very desirable feature. this is as close to getting a "hardened" notebook as I could find without spending the big bux.

Adam_s
09-11-09, 08:42
Here is a good deal on a laptop.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146581

It's a Lenovo Notebook. For those who don't know, they bought out IBM's laptop business a few years back, and have continued putting out incredibly nice rigs. They are on the VERY short list of companies that I would buy a laptop from these days.

Avoid HP, if at all possible. Worst CS in the business, and their build quality isn't far behind. I can tell my story, if you want.

Lenovo's Thinkpad line of laptops are built like tanks. Magnesium/Aluminum frams, hard casings, drip holes, etc. You might pay a touch more, but, you'll get your money back in the durability of the rig. You can get a Thinkpad (a decently spec'ed one) starting around $630.

LMK if I can be of any more help.
-Adam

Zhurdan
09-11-09, 09:17
Just make sure you get one with properly staked case screws! :D

JSantoro
09-11-09, 09:22
I don't know what specific features you're looking for, but my thing has always been max durability, since one processor has always seemed much the same as another to me.

To date, I've found out that Toshiba seems to make the toughest non-ruggedized laptops. I've still managed to destroy 2, of course, but they've held up better than any other brand I've purchased, and certainly better than the inevitable Dell that the job ponies up for.

I bought my current U405 from Circut City when they were going boobs-up, and I'm still getting harassing sales emails about stock that they continue to try and sell off. I've also used newegg and tigerdirect for purchases, and been very pleased with what I got.

I agree with the advise avoiding HP/Compaq. Between the crappy CS and the proprietary nature of their platforms (even adding RAM is a PITA, in regard to finding the right chips, or it just won't work; totally unsat, it's RAM, ffs), they're of no help to anybody. Except for printers. I still buy those. But that's a whole 'nother thread, huh?

SHIVAN
09-11-09, 09:29
Go for a 64-bit machine with max 3GB or more of RAM. Make sure it has a Wireless N draft card, and a 10/100 NIC. HDD's are cheap, get one that is more than 160GB...

Most of those Vista 64-bit machines should include a free upgrade coupon to Win 7.

Everything else is pretty much noise.

Zhurdan
09-11-09, 09:39
Go for a 64-bit machine with max 3GB or more of RAM. Make sure it has a Wireless N draft card, and a 10/100 NIC. HDD's are cheap, get one that is more than 160GB...

Most of those Vista 64-bit machines should include a free upgrade coupon to Win 7.

Everything else is pretty much noise.

Added stress on the "or more of RAM" part. I have three systems with 64-Vista. One has 3GB, it's slow as hell. The top end (desktop system) has 8GB of RAM. It runs like a marble on glass. RAM is key for Vista.

Preferred User
09-11-09, 11:12
Here is a good deal on a laptop.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146581

It's a Lenovo Notebook. For those who don't know, they bought out IBM's laptop business a few years back, and have continued putting out incredibly nice rigs. They are on the VERY short list of companies that I would buy a laptop from these days.

Avoid HP, if at all possible. Worst CS in the business, and their build quality isn't far behind. I can tell my story, if you want.

Lenovo's Thinkpad line of laptops are built like tanks. Magnesium/Aluminum frams, hard casings, drip holes, etc. You might pay a touch more, but, you'll get your money back in the durability of the rig. You can get a Thinkpad (a decently spec'ed one) starting around $630.

LMK if I can be of any more help.
-Adam

The Lenovos are nice, but I cannot take them into the facilities at my DOD clients.

Preferred User
09-11-09, 11:17
Dell has a pretty good policy for the Vista to Windows 7 upgrade HERE (http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/landing/en/us/windows-7-smb?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd).

bkb0000
09-11-09, 11:40
thanks for the replies gentlemen.

sounds like i'm not gonna have to spend the cost of a new M4 to get a new notebook, then..

as far as my needs- screen size isn't important, weight isnt important.. the unit will just hang out in my brief case in my truck 90% of it's days. it will get knocked around a bit- i don't "need" (nor does my wallet want) a ruggedized laptop, but i do need something that isn't going to faint at the mention of danger.

i need MS Word, i need windows obviously.. im probably too computer-illiterate to know what my needs are beyond that. longer range on the wireless would be nice.

my uses are wireless internet, filling out pre-made business forms.. i think thats about it. my PDA almost fills the role- if only the screen was a little bigger. thats how simple my needs are.

JSantoro
09-11-09, 11:47
it will get knocked around a bit- i don't "need" (nor does my wallet want) a ruggedized laptop, but i do need something that isn't going to faint at the mention of danger.

My litmus test for this is generally "what happens to my computer when it's in a backpack, padded with my coat and a neoprene case, and gets tossed to the ground from the top of a LAV-25 turret?"

Toughbooks laugh at that sort of thing, mostly, but everything besides my prior 17" and my current 13.5" Toshiba gave up the ghost pretty quick

Preferred User
09-11-09, 13:54
I could not justify a ruggedized laptop either, especially the price. Check out this Dell Latitude (http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/laptop_latitude_atg_e6400/pd.aspx?refid=laptop_latitude_atg_e6400&s=bsd&cs=04).

If it is truly a toss in the briefcase kind of thing, a netbook like THIS (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-latitude-2100?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd) may be the ticket. I just deployed 35 of them in a test and have had positive feedback.

If you just need Word, get Office Basic bundled with the machine, it will be less than getting an aftermarket copy of Student Teacher Edition.

In most cases the internal wireless NIC (typically B/G) will be all you need. Wireless N is cool, but for best results you need to match the NIC to the access point (AP), otherwise the speed will fall back to G speed. Also if you have any devices other than N, many APs will only run at the speed of the slowest connected device. There are some new APs that run N and G at native speed, but just like all new toys have a premium cost.

If you decide on a Dell, spec something out in your cart and then call a sales rep and hammer them for a "better" price.

Selftest
09-11-09, 15:04
Before you spend any money at all...

Blow out the tray for dust, as already suggested.

Back everything up and format the drive. Getting slammed with spyware and adware and junk we get all day every day will make any computer run like hell. Short of hardware failure, most computers can be fixed with a format of the hard drive, and a fresh OS install. Takes about 2 hours and saves you $500+. I format about every 6 months or so. Makes everything run so much smoother.

Argus
09-11-09, 17:07
Dude, get a Dell. And be sure to check Techbargains.com and Dealcatcher.com for coupon codes, etc.

bkb0000
09-11-09, 19:52
I could not justify a ruggedized laptop either, especially the price. Check out this Dell Latitude (http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/laptop_latitude_atg_e6400/pd.aspx?refid=laptop_latitude_atg_e6400&s=bsd&cs=04).

If it is truly a toss in the briefcase kind of thing, a netbook like THIS (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-latitude-2100?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd) may be the ticket. I just deployed 35 of them in a test and have had positive feedback.

If you just need Word, get Office Basic bundled with the machine, it will be less than getting an aftermarket copy of Student Teacher Edition.

In most cases the internal wireless NIC (typically B/G) will be all you need. Wireless N is cool, but for best results you need to match the NIC to the access point (AP), otherwise the speed will fall back to G speed. Also if you have any devices other than N, many APs will only run at the speed of the slowest connected device. There are some new APs that run N and G at native speed, but just like all new toys have a premium cost.

If you decide on a Dell, spec something out in your cart and then call a sales rep and hammer them for a "better" price.

this is all greek to me.. but please explain, i'm interested. i often have to drive around searching for a pirate wireless connection in a pinch. pretty much EVERYWHERE i work there's some faint signal that i can barely connect to, but can't get any kind of useable speed from.. always seems like if i had an extra antenna or something i could snake some more.

i have a sprint business data package for my PDA.. i haven't contacted sprint, but it seems like i should be able to get some kind of wireless cell network internet for my computer- anyone know anything about that? and since we're o the topic, Centros have a "virtual modem" function- i don't know what it does, but i'm thinking it might be a way to run internet to my notebook through my PDA? i have a Treo right now, i don't know if it has the same functon.

beren74
09-11-09, 19:56

Back when I was shopping for a notebook a couple years ago, some repair-tech types on another forum recommended going with business class notebooks for their durability. Like the Latitude above, they normally have stronger magnesium frames and are built to be lugged around unlike the snap-together plastic models that are in most box stores. They probably aren't as tough as the toughbooks you often find in some government circles, but I think they're a lot better than the home and small home office models you commonly find. I'm pretty sure business class notebooks won't faint at the hint of danger. Here's a link to the Hp business class products page for more options:

http://www.hp.com/sbso/busproducts.html

Look at the "Elitebook" notebook line.

PMcMullen
09-11-09, 20:16
Dude, get a Dell. And be sure to check Techbargains.com and Dealcatcher.com for coupon codes, etc.

Agreed, we use Dell laptops exclusively in an installed base of about 1500+

They have good reliability and performance. Latitudes are easy to service and swap components such as drives, memory, internal air card, etc. Easy to get driver updates, etc. I would suggest also getting the Gold Support package. Well worth a bit more money to get good stateside support. Might also consider a solid state drive if you want to trade some capacity for faster performance, booting. Also, be sure to back up any critical data on your current system.

Preferred User
09-12-09, 05:48
this is all greek to me.. but please explain, i'm interested. i often have to drive around searching for a pirate wireless connection in a pinch. pretty much EVERYWHERE i work there's some faint signal that i can barely connect to, but can't get any kind of useable speed from.. always seems like if i had an extra antenna or something i could snake some more.

i have a sprint business data package for my PDA.. i haven't contacted sprint, but it seems like i should be able to get some kind of wireless cell network internet for my computer- anyone know anything about that? and since we're o the topic, Centros have a "virtual modem" function- i don't know what it does, but i'm thinking it might be a way to run internet to my notebook through my PDA? i have a Treo right now, i don't know if it has the same functon.

If you need to snag a signal from an AP that is not close you need a wireless NIC with an external antenna connection. That is what is used for "war driving" and gives better range. The greater the distance from the AP, the slower the connection. Several feet can make a huge difference.

A Sprint/ATT/Verizon mobile broadband card is a more reliable and secure choice.
This is the Sprint Merlin™ C777 by Novatel Wireless
http://nextelonline.nextel.com/assets/images/phones/manufacturers/novatel_wireless/novatel_merlin_c777/c777_thumbnails/NVC777DORA_LPI.gif

HD1911
09-12-09, 06:06
Added stress on the "or more of RAM" part. I have three systems with 64-Vista. One has 3GB, it's slow as hell. The top end (desktop system) has 8GB of RAM. It runs like a marble on glass. RAM is key for Vista.

+1 This cannot be stressed enough.

Argus
09-12-09, 08:49
RAM is definitely key. When I buy a computer, I normally go with a mid range processor (even the lower end CPU's these days are fine for most uses), then beef up the RAM as much as I can.

If you can swing a solid state drive, that will go a long way towards making your computer more shock resistant.

shadco
09-12-09, 10:26
I didn't see anywhere that Macs were ruled out.

Check out refurbed Macbook's or Macbook Pro's at Apple.com

I just picked up a new Macbook Pro for my kid for 999. It's just as brand new and includes a 1 year warranty.

They are much more efficient and stable than windows based lappy's. I've had my Macbook Pro for 3 years now and it's better than any of the current Wintel based machines I see out there now.

For 79 bux you can pickup VMware fusion and do a Physical to virtual conversion of your current windows system and import it to the Mac so you will have all your old windows stuff on hand and will be able to run windows if you absolutely have to.

hth

BVickery
09-12-09, 10:51
Grabbed a new Acer Aspire Timeline for about $500 from Sams. I got it for the longer battery life (up to 8hrs) and an HDMI port (gonna have to serve double duty as a DVD player) and is pretty light.

Free Windows 7 offer
3GB of DDR3
320GB HDD
10/100/1000 LAN
Draft-N Compliant

Overall a nice laptop.

5pins
09-12-09, 11:14
Before you spend any money at all...

Blow out the tray for dust, as already suggested.

Back everything up and format the drive. Getting slammed with spyware and adware and junk we get all day every day will make any computer run like hell. Short of hardware failure, most computers can be fixed with a format of the hard drive, and a fresh OS install. Takes about 2 hours and saves you $500+. I format about every 6 months or so. Makes everything run so much smoother.

Try this first. It can make a big difference. It won't cost you anything but a little time. If it doesn’t work then you can still get a new one.

Even if you do buy a new one, try the reformat on the old one and use it as back up. It nice to have a backup in case your primary go’s TU. Believe me I know.

Naxet1959
09-12-09, 11:54
If you end up having to replace, Dell has a section on their website for refurbished units. They are discounted nicely and you can buy a warranty for them I think up to 3 years cheap. That might make it last longer than your current rig. And I second the motion on Compaq/HP... been there, won't go there again.

SHIVAN
09-12-09, 12:16
They are much more efficient and stable than windows based lappy's. I've had my Macbook Pro for 3 years now and it's better than any of the current Wintel based machines I see out there now.

As is typical of Mac users, you are WAY overstating the buzz phrases. We have both Mac and PC's in my shop, of which I am ultimately responsible, and neither have been more or less reliable or "efficient" than the other.

For a typical non-power user, PC laptops and desktops are more than adequate, especially at ~$499.

loupav
09-12-09, 13:15
I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T-Series and it rocks. No problems going on 18 months now. Running Windows XP Pro. You can feel it as soon as you pick it up, this machine it tough and well built. I forgot how much my company paid for it. But before this one I had an IBM Thinkpad T-Series and that was a great computer.

If I had to buy something else other than a Lenovo, it would be a Mac, just so that I can learn something new. But it be a toy more than anything. Music, movies, internet. That's about it.

shadco
09-12-09, 13:44
As is typical of Mac users, you are WAY overstating the buzz phrases. We have both Mac and PC's in my shop, of which I am ultimately responsible, and neither have been more or less reliable or "efficient" than the other.

For a typical non-power user, PC laptops and desktops are more than adequate, especially at ~$499.

How do you address more than 3GB's of ram on the Wintel platform? Especially 3 years ago?

I was issued a Lenovo T63 at work, I did a P to V and run it under Fusion on my 3 year old Mac that has 6GB of ram in it. It's more responsive under fusion than it is natively.

Efficiency is primarily based on the platforms ability to take advantage of ram which requires Vista to go over 3GB last time I looked. How does Vista work on 3 year old gear?

3 years, not one issue with malware, none. No required update every 2 weeks to a month to keep the hackers at bay.

The latest release of OSX works great on it. Came with 10.4 (Tiger), 10.5 update Leopard was 19 dollars a year and a half ago, and 10.6 Snow Leopard came out 2 weeks ago, cost? 19.00.

M4arc
09-12-09, 13:54
I'm a big fan of Dell and make sure you get one with the Windows 7 upgrade. I upgraded both of mine (Dell 830 and T61P) to Windows 7 and I am completely and utterly impressed. I can now run Virtual PC at well over 2GB of memory and still run Outlook, OCS and IE...something I wasn't able to do with Vista.

Get Windows 7; you'll love it.

SHIVAN
09-12-09, 14:04
How do you address more than 3GB's of ram on the Wintel platform? Especially 3 years ago?

64-bit XP Pro has been out for a bit.

Efficiency is primarily based on the platforms ability to take advantage of ram which requires Vista to go over 3GB last time I looked. How does Vista work on 3 year old gear?

XP Pro 64-bit and Vista 64-bit have been out for quite some time, but why are we dealing with how do you do it 3 years ago? Today is today and both are available in 64-bit.

I am running Vista Ultimate 64-bit on a 2 year old Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz with 8GB of RAM and it does great.

3 years, not one issue with malware, none. No required update every 2 weeks to a month to keep the hackers at bay.

12 years and not one issue with malware on 26 machines and 40 users. Not one. Then again we have firewalls, VPN and active updates that run on schedules. No active interface needed from our users.

PLUS we paid significantly less on a unit by unit comparison.

My boss' 17" Macbook Pro with RAM upgrade, Fusion & Office for the Mac and Office 2003 Pro for the virtual PC as well as a Windows XP Pro license for the virtual PC was either close to or a little over $4000 -- I think it was more like $4200, but I can't recall. Prices have come down, but I can spec a similar one now for ~$3600.

I bought THREE Dell Latitude D820's maxed out for $4500 the very next month, and they have had no down time and no issues running all available software and hardware we need at our shop and on the road.

It's great that you like Macs and I like PC's, but with any foresight at all you can get a basic 64-bit Vista laptop for less than half of a comparable new MacBook Pro, and do all the same basic things required in the original request.

I don't think our requester needs a $1000++ MacBook Pro to run MS Word and surf the net. Seriously.

K.L. Davis
09-12-09, 17:06

Both Windows and Linux have the ability to use Physical Address Extensions (PAE) with their 32bit Operating Systems -- currently, 32bit PAE OS has some advantages in that it can still address larger amounts of memory, it places a lower demand on cache and is generally more mature, with a larger amount of stable applications.

Some flavors of Linux do not offer a Kernel configured with PAE, but it is not at all hard to set the correct switch and compile your own.

Palmguy
09-12-09, 18:11

If you have a Windows based Treo, it's possible to use it as a tethered modem. As far as I know, Sprint does NOT provide this functionality out of the box. I use a 3rd party software product called PDANet to let me use my Sprint Treo Pro with my laptop.

http://www.junefabrics.com/pdanet/index.php

PalmOS based Treos might have the same capability, I just am not familiar with them. I've used PDANet with a Treo 700wx and currently the Treo Pro, both on Sprint. I do have an unlimited data plan as well.

SHIVAN
09-12-09, 19:43
Both Windows and Linux have the ability to use Physical Address Extensions (PAE) with their 32bit Operating Systems -- currently, 32bit PAE OS has some advantages in that it can still address larger amounts of memory, it places a lower demand on cache and is generally more mature, with a larger amount of stable applications.

Some flavors of Linux do not offer a Kernel configured with PAE, but it is not at all hard to set the correct switch and compile your own.

Of course K.L. is spot on, but some consider PAE as a "workaround" tweak that can lead to instability, so I did not mention it due to 64-bit systems being around for that time too.

wake.joe
09-12-09, 20:13
Deleted

bkb0000
09-12-09, 20:28
If you have a Windows based Treo, it's possible to use it as a tethered modem. As far as I know, Sprint does NOT provide this functionality out of the box. I use a 3rd party software product called PDANet to let me use my Sprint Treo Pro with my laptop.

http://www.junefabrics.com/pdanet/index.php

PalmOS based Treos might have the same capability, I just am not familiar with them. I've used PDANet with a Treo 700wx and currently the Treo Pro, both on Sprint. I do have an unlimited data plan as well.

i've got a treoW and unlimited data.. so i install that program on my phone and i'll be able to use the phone for wireless internet?

man.. if it's that simple, i've wasted a lot of time and effort in the last couple years..

PMcMullen
09-12-09, 20:39

I was issued a Lenovo T63 at work, I did a P to V and run it under Fusion on my 3 year old Mac that has 6GB of ram in it. It's more responsive under fusion than it is natively.

Point of note: The average XP user will seldom exceed 1.5GB of peak RAM usage (AKA Commit Charge). Total physical memory can max at 3.5GB. In a SHTF situation, the focus for a laptop would be communication and web if available, storage of reference documents. Not going to be running AutoCAD, Solidworks, etc.

Preferred User
09-13-09, 17:01
How do you address more than 3GB's of ram on the Wintel platform? Especially 3 years ago?The 3.12GB limit is a function of ANY 32-bit hardware/software platform combination (a function of the 32-bit address space). If you run 32-bit Windows on the Mac platform you are still constrained by the limits of the OS.

Contrary to what many Mac lovers believe, the platform is a rather expensive and overly complicated method to run Windows (See SHIVAN's post regarding costs). If you are primarily a Mac user and want to run some Windows apps, that is good. If all you run are Windows applications, why would you want to take the time and effort to maintain a host OS on which to run Windows? This is not a knock on Macs. If you want to transition your programs to the native Mac versions, make the switch. However the Mac hardware is no better and is often worse, and is definitely more expensive.

Palmguy
09-13-09, 17:26
i've got a treoW and unlimited data.. so i install that program on my phone and i'll be able to use the phone for wireless internet?

man.. if it's that simple, i've wasted a lot of time and effort in the last couple years..

Yeah, it's that simple, on the surface at least.

I've heard (not from Sprint, haven't asked them) that Sprint ain't exactly a big fan of this kind of setup. I don't use mine in that manner much, as I'm usually within reach of a wifi network. If you were using your Treo as your primary gateway to the net I suppose it's possible that Sprint could take notice of the bandwidth used and they might be bothered. My total data usage on my phone is around 500,000 KB/month and I have never had an issue with them. All that said, do so at your own risk...

bkb0000
09-13-09, 17:27
Yeah, it's that simple, on the surface at least.

I've heard (not from Sprint, haven't asked them) that Sprint ain't exactly a big fan of this kind of setup. I don't use mine in that manner much, as I'm usually within reach of a wifi network. If you were using your Treo as your primary gateway to the net I suppose it's possible that Sprint could take notice of the bandwidth used and they might be bothered. My total data usage on my phone is around 500,000 KB/month and I have never had an issue with them. All that said, do so at your own risk...

so i guess "unlimited" date isn't really unlimited, eh?

uranus
09-13-09, 17:39

These applications work as promised. I don't recall a clause in my Sprint contract that prevents me for tethering my phone to my computer for internet access (such a clause might be there, but I don't recall reading it). There is plenty of information about the WindowsMobile-based and Palm-based applications on treocental.com. Basically, your Treo functions as a 3G PC card. It is that simple.

Palmguy
09-13-09, 17:39

Like I said, I haven't had issue and the "rumors" I've heard have been just that. I haven't looked into it because it's not a major use for me, but if it was going to be I would. That's all I was trying to say. I've got kind of a strange plan that doesn't allow for add-ons for the most part (SERO), but it's entirely possible that Sprint has an add-on option for 'phone as modem' that they charge for.

1859sharps
09-13-09, 20:25
Ok, this is a topic I know something about.

First the Lenovo (IBM) T series laptops are the Noveske of laptops IF you can afford it, the T500 is very, very nice. In the refurbishment market the T60/T61s are also excellent as was the T42. All though at this point the T4x series is pretty long in the tooth and not worth it to buy. Stay away from the T43

the advice for cruzing newegg is good. As is the advice to look into ACER. They are BIG dogs in PC/Laptop world out side the USA.

Without knowing more about what you are looking to do with your laptop, it is hard to advise a more specific model and spec. If your looking to do E-Mail, Web Serf, maybe run quicken etc. then just about any mainstream manufacture will work. Dell, HP, Acer, Sony etc and you don't have to spend a lot of money on them. You should be able to find a solid dual core cpu with 3 to 4 gigs of ram for less then $1000 easy enough.

Windows 7 is just a couple months away, if you can hold on, I would wait.

I thought I saw a comment that your current laptop is 1.5 years old, but is making squeaky/crunchy noises. this can be a couple things. Non of which is spyware/virus related. one possibility is fans. you may need one or more of your fans replaced. another is your hard drive, it might be starting to die. hard drives are cheap and easy to replace. you might be able to salvage your current laptop.

1859sharps
09-13-09, 20:34
Point of note: The average XP user will seldom exceed 1.5GB of peak RAM usage (AKA Commit Charge). Total physical memory can max at 3.5GB. In a SHTF situation, the focus for a laptop would be communication and web if available, storage of reference documents. Not going to be running AutoCAD, Solidworks, etc.

here is the deal on ram and xp (or any 32 bit based Operating System).

They can only address up to 4 gigs of memory, not just ram. PCs and Laptops have many devices on them that have memory. Ram is just one device that has to be addressed. So, when the PC/Laptop boots up, the BIOS tells the OS what had memory that needs to be addressed, the OS then does it's thing. what is left is what gets allocated to be used as ram for the user.

This is why if you have for example windows xp with 4 gigs of ram, a video card with 1 gig of ram, you right click on my computer and only see your system using about 2.5 or 2.75 gigs of ram.

As for how much a "typical" user needs with windows xp. this depends on what you do. when we first deployed XP, we only bought PCs with half a gig. Today, I give users running XP nothing less then 2 gigs. XP had not started demanding more ram over the years, but applications are.

Preferred User
09-13-09, 21:40
here is the deal on ram and xp (or any 32 bit based Operating System).

They can only address up to 4 gigs of memory, not just ram. PCs and Laptops have many devices on them that have memory. Ram is just one device that has to be addressed. So, when the PC/Laptop boots up, the BIOS tells the OS what had memory that needs to be addressed, the OS then does it's thing. what is left is what gets allocated to be used as ram for the user.

This is why if you have for example windows xp with 4 gigs of ram, a video card with 1 gig of ram, you right click on my computer and only see your system using about 2.5 or 2.75 gigs of ram.
The maximum memory available in 32-bit versions of Windows Vista (or XP) is 3.12 GB (yes I know a 32-bit processor uses 32 bits to refer to the location of each byte of memory, 2^32 = 4.2 billion, which means a memory address that's 32 bits long can only refer to 4.2 billion unique locations, but in reality the Vista maximum is 3.12 GB).

Also, I am sure you meant when you right click My Computer you see the amount of RAM the system reports, not the amount of RAM the system is using. To see the amount of RAM the system is using you would launch Task Manager and select the Performance tab.

This behavior is the expected result of certain hardware and software factors.

Various devices in a typical computer require memory-mapped access. This is known as memory-mapped I/O (MMIO). For the MMIO space to be available to 32-bit operating systems, the MMIO space must reside within the first 4 GB of address space.

For example, if you have a video card that has 256 MB of onboard memory, that memory must be mapped within the first 4 GB of address space. If 4 GB of system memory is already installed, part of that address space must be reserved by the graphics memory mapping. Graphics memory mapping overwrites a part of the system memory. These conditions reduce the total amount of system memory that is available to the operating system.

The reduction in available system memory depends on the devices that are installed in the computer. However, to avoid potential driver compatibility issues, the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista limit the total available memory to 3.12 GB. See the "More information" section for information about potential driver compatibility issues.

If a computer has many installed devices, the available memory may be reduced to 3 GB or less. However, the maximum memory available in 32-bit versions of Windows Vista is typically 3.12 GB.

KB929605 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605)

1859sharps
09-13-09, 23:40
Yes, I meant the amount the OS reports, not how much is on the PC/Laptop.

I was also trying to keep it simple.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_xp

Also, you misunderstood the KB you linked, the 3.1 limit is artificial. It is something MS did in Vista to help with driver stability. It's not a architectural limit. And that is where people get confused. architecture verse how an OS handles memory issues.

Architecturally, a 32 bit OS can in fact use more then 3.1 gigs provided there isn't another 900 meg of ram scatted around the motherboard that needs to be addressed.

for example on my PC here at home, I have 4 gigs installed, but after addressing my video card and all the other devices that have ram on them, Windows XP Pro has 3.25 left for OS and applications. The most I personally have ever seen on a stripped down PC with 4 gigs of ram have available after addressing is complete is 3.5 gigs. But this was XP.

The only really solid and reliable way to use 4 gigs or more is to a 64bit OS. The KB you link shows you how to use PAE Mode, assuming your hardware supports it. Though I wouldn't recommend it for the less geeky out there.

Anyway this is getting way off topic...sorry.

Preferred User
09-14-09, 08:03
Yes, I meant the amount the OS reports, not how much is on the PC/Laptop.

I was also trying to keep it simple.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_xp

Also, you misunderstood the KB you linked, the 3.1 limit is artificial. It is something MS did in Vista to help with driver stability. It's not a architectural limit. And that is where people get confused. architecture verse how an OS handles memory issues.

Architecturally, a 32 bit OS can in fact use more then 3.1 gigs provided there isn't another 900 meg of ram scatted around the motherboard that needs to be addressed.

for example on my PC here at home, I have 4 gigs installed, but after addressing my video card and all the other devices that have ram on them, Windows XP Pro has 3.25 left for OS and applications. The most I personally have ever seen on a stripped down PC with 4 gigs of ram have available after addressing is complete is 3.5 gigs. But this was XP.

The only really solid and reliable way to use 4 gigs or more is to a 64bit OS. The KB you link shows you how to use PAE Mode, assuming your hardware supports it. Though I wouldn't recommend it for the less geeky out there.

Anyway this is getting way off topic...sorry.

No more off the original topic than many of these posts.

As I noted earlier (which you must have missed)- a 32-bit processor uses 32 bits to refer to the location of each byte of memory, 2^32 = 4.2 billion, which means a memory address that's 32 bits long can only refer to 4.2 billion unique locations

However you are just plain wrong about the 4GB limit in Vista (all marketing speak aside). Although the KB mentions PAE that is not the point of the KB. The difference is the maximum memory available to the OS versus maximum installed memory in the system. Just because Vista SP1 allows the reporting function to fudge that number does not make the limit higher than 3.12GB.

To avoid compatibility problems, on computers that have a 32-bit Windows operating system, more than 3 GB of system memory, I/O regions for memory mapped peripherals (MMIO) are allocated between the 3 GB physical address and the 4 GB upper physical address limit. Physical memory addresses that are mapped to these I/O regions cannot be used to address physical system memory. These addresses also cannot be used to prevent the operating system from using some physical memory that would ordinarily be accessed between the 3GB physical address and the 4GB upper physical address limit. This is just a function of the x86 architecture.

So in essence when you purchase more than 3GB of RAM for a 32-bit Windows OS you are wasting money because part of the RAM over 3GB is reserved, the OS cannot access it and still uses the chunk below 3GB. This would be like having a 30-round magazine in California. You could have it, but you could not use it or tell anyone you have it.

And yes PAE is not always a solution because the drivers and application must understand PAE to utilize it. Just because the Intel 32-bit CPUs have have more than 32 address pins (the magic number is 36 hence the PAE 36-bit support) that does not mean everyone codes for that.

larry0071
09-14-09, 09:33
Here is my solution.
Start with a base $397 Toshiba from Toshiba Direct, here:
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?poid=445850&cm_sp=LandingPage-_-OnAd-_-L500-ST2521_ShopNow

Double the ram. Jump the Hard Drive to 250 GB, increase the processor to the T4200, bump the screen to the 16" and get the promotional free shipping. You would be out the door (not including sales tax) for $501.25.

I have 4 of the sub $500 satalites and love them. They last 3-4 years, can handle kids, getting dropped occasionally, flipped off of car seats occasionally and run great. I have one for my 9 year old, one for my 14 year old, one for my wife and one for me. Mine actually crapped out about a month ago, it was just under 4 years old. The main board died. I did not cry, I just got a new one and copied the "My Documents" folder contents to the new one with a PCMCIA card hard drive adapter I picked up years ago.

BackBlast
09-16-09, 17:52
as far as my needs- screen size isn't important, weight isnt important.. the unit will just hang out in my brief case in my truck 90% of it's days. it will get knocked around a bit- i don't "need" (nor does my wallet want) a ruggedized laptop, but i do need something that isn't going to faint at the mention of danger.

i need MS Word, i need windows obviously.. im probably too computer-illiterate to know what my needs are beyond that. longer range on the wireless would be nice.

my uses are wireless internet, filling out pre-made business forms.. i think thats about it. my PDA almost fills the role- if only the screen was a little bigger. thats how simple my needs are.

Any bottom of the line system will fill this role fine. You could even get a "netbook" that runs in the neighborhood of $300-400 and it would be adequate. Just make sure you get at least 1 GB of ram and I don't see you having trouble with the machine specs. Look for popular highly rated products on Newegg, which should keep you on the well beaten path of solid models.

If you're really looking for better wireless performance, most stock notebook packages are not generally impressive. Netbooks are a little worse typically due to the smaller size and more confined space for the antenna. The key to good performance is a good external antenna to get you some signal gain for both TX and RX, 5db omnis aren't very expensive, but you do need a card that allows for an external antenna. More power from the card doesn't hurt either, but that only helps you send your messages - not receive them.

A comment on the original problem you have with your unit, could be a fan or a hard drive, the principle mechanical systems. You could take some compressed air and blow out the fan. Perhaps take it apart to really clean it out, which might improve things. Either part can also be replaced outright for a minimal outlay if you don't mind doing it yourself, and your local geek probably wouldn't cost much more...

RogerinTPA
09-16-09, 18:18
I need a new notebook. I hate to contribute to the cluttering of the board with stupid ****in threads like "hewp me, i need a new notebook!" but the fact of the matter is, i trust most of you guys more than some pimply kid at the office supply store or elitist computer geeks on computer forums that will tell me i need the $4,000 Noveske of notebooks and nothing less.

my notebook has been making "crunchy" sounds, usually accompanied by odd "squaks" and "squeeks," which is quickly followed by a drastic digression of performance for an indefinate period of time. today it's been giving me a warning that says something to the effect of "self-destruct sequence activated, better back up your shit." everythings already backed up on an external disk, though.

my current notebook is a dell inspiron 1501.. got it at wally world for $500 about a year and a half ago. before that i had a Toshiba Somethingerother that Uncle Sam paid something around $2,300 for.. it lasted me 5-6 years and never gave me any problems, till i put my fist through the screen one bad day.

anyway.. the 1501 is more my price range. i'm not into spending a lot of money on something i use solely for writing contracts and tippitytyping on the internet. i also don't want a piece of shit that's going to squak and squeek and crunch at me and FAIL me at the worst time. this one has done pretty decent as a work notebook.. it's been thrown, dropped, punched, sat on, stood on, and even thrown through a piece of sheetrock once (i'm serious)... so i'm willing to accept it's current state might very well be my fault.

recommendations appreciated.

Once you make a decision, you might want to checkout circuit city online. They are having all kinds of sales going on right now. http://www.circuitcity.com/email/circuitcity/CCEM110.asp?SRCCODE=CCEM110TT&cm_mmc=EML-_-Main-_-CCEM110-_-circuit110

kmrtnsn
09-16-09, 18:44
I recommend that you check out IBM/Lenovo's outlet page on their main site. I just bought my daughter an IBM/Lenovo T61 1G/160G HD, DVD, fingerprint security, and Windows XP Pro, amoung other bells and whistles for 602.00, delivered. That is a new, NOT reconditioned, business class machine, not the burnt out in a year, HP special from Circuit City or Best Buy.

ToddG
09-17-09, 15:11
I would let Michelle Obama sodomize me before I'd buy another Dell. My last two Dells were so problematic I ditched Windows altogether for Mac.

Now, I am an avowed Mac kool-aide drinker. My first MBP ran great for about two and a half years of heavy travel and hard (50+ hours per week) actual use. Not just sitting in a corner with the power on, but running and working. Then the HD started to get flakey and rather than bring it to Apple for repair, I made the mistake of using someone else and shortly thereafter bought a new MBP. :cool:

The battery life on the new MBPs is just phenomenal. Using the integrated video chip (rather than the discrete video; it has both) I'm getting about eight hours on a 15" widescreen notebook with wifi running.

As for some of the comparisons made in this thread, I think it's important to separate "our office, with a dedicated IT staff, can do xyz" from what a normal end-user all by himself is going to experience. That's always been Apple's trademark, a system that just works for the average Joe who doesn't know about Registry and all that stuff.

Yojimbo
09-17-09, 15:45
Now, I am an avowed Mac kool-aide drinker.

What's next, long hair, Birkenstocks, a Hybrid car and a "Che" t-shirt?;):D

rob_s
09-17-09, 16:02
Here is my solution.
Start with a base $397 Toshiba from Toshiba Direct, here:
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?poid=445850&cm_sp=LandingPage-_-OnAd-_-L500-ST2521_ShopNow

Double the ram. Jump the Hard Drive to 250 GB, increase the processor to the T4200, bump the screen to the 16" and get the promotional free shipping. You would be out the door (not including sales tax) for $501.25.

I just did all that and it came to $581.

Palmguy
09-17-09, 16:53
I would let Michelle Obama sodomize me before I'd buy another Dell. My last two Dells were so problematic I ditched Windows altogether for Mac.

Now, I am an avowed Mac kool-aide drinker. My first MBP ran great for about two and a half years of heavy travel and hard (50+ hours per week) actual use. Not just sitting in a corner with the power on, but running and working. Then the HD started to get flakey and rather than bring it to Apple for repair, I made the mistake of using someone else and shortly thereafter bought a new MBP. :cool:

The battery life on the new MBPs is just phenomenal. Using the integrated video chip (rather than the discrete video; it has both) I'm getting about eight hours on a 15" widescreen notebook with wifi running.

As for some of the comparisons made in this thread, I think it's important to separate "our office, with a dedicated IT staff, can do xyz" from what a normal end-user all by himself is going to experience. That's always been Apple's trademark, a system that just works for the average Joe who doesn't know about Registry and all that stuff.

Funny...my Windows machines work just fine and I've never touched the registry on them either :p

Despite what Justin Long would have the world believe, a sizeable majority of the country gets by just fine with Windows; and I reject the notion that all of us simply don't know what we're missing.

SHIVAN
09-17-09, 17:29
If your "average Joe" user does things that require RegEdit to fix, they have strayed very, very far from their lane. If your "average Joe" user does things that require a dedicated IT department, they are moving from "average Joe" to "ignorant Joe".

Common sense dictates a software firewall on the machine, a hardware firewall on your router/AP at home, a secure connection, an anti-virus program that pulls updates on a schedule, and an updated version of the OS.

I've got 20+ machines in my department, I am NOT infosys, and we don't have registry issues - EVER. Our users have free reign to surf the internet, and are administrators on their own machines. They have AOL, Yahoo, and other chat services installed, they have iTunes, and Quicktime running, but yet we've never had a major failure of any kind. They download Opera, Firefox, Chrome and other programs that they see fit.

They also run programs that ONLY run on a PC. No matter what Mac users tell me, I am not going to pay 3x as much for a Mac, so that I can "run Windows better than windows does". That just doesn't make sense in a real work environment that isn't freelancing in the field where the most intense work being done is wifi connection and email composition.