PDA

View Full Version : DD CHF barrels at Brownells (?)

Warg
09-11-09, 14:12
Just received the September product update from Brownells where Daniel Defense 16" M4 profile barrels are listed for only $169.95:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=29320/Product/AR_15_M16_M4_BARREL?mc_ID=3029

This is $10 less than what looks like the same product from Midway USA.

I think the description is inaccurate, however as it is listed as cold hammer forged.

Will call to confirm and post the response, but I picked one up anyway :)

spamsammich
09-11-09, 15:59
It is not CHF.

Warg
09-11-09, 16:22
That's what I think. However, I talked to two individuals, including one of their gun techs, at Brownells who insist they are. I asked if they could examine one of the barrels to see if they were stamped CHF. They could not. I also sent an email and received the following response:

"Thanks for the inquiry. These are cold hammer forged per Daniel Defense. Any other questions as to the validity of the claim should be directed to Daniel Defense directly.

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=154

Name withheld (by me)
Gunsmith Technical Support Supervisor
Brownells Inc."

So...I called customer service at DD. The person I talked to said he would contact one of his reps to find out and call me back. He also said that barrel markings have 100% positive predictive value (as one would expect), but not 100% negative predictive value as not all CHF barrels are (were) marked as such.

This guy was incredibly nice, BTW.

Gene

spamsammich
09-11-09, 16:46
those are stock liquidation from the older DD M4 builds, before they got the CHF line out in circulation. I would bet money on it. I would love to be wrong about it and get a 350 dollar barrel for half off. Look at the price for barrel assemblies on bravo's site, they're over $400 MAP, for sale for 399 with barrel nut, gas tube, and FSB. Even stripped of all the hardware, the CHF barrel would be over 300 bucks minimum.

Warg
09-14-09, 13:35
DD hasn't called me back, but Brownells has removed the cold hammer forged references on this item. Note the change from the Google cached page (http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:YGu_pfPF24UJ:www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid%3D29320/Product/AR_15_M16_M4_BARREL+Chrome-Lined+Carbine+Barrel+With+Premium+Features+At+An+Economical+Price&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

They're out of stock as well.

azlester
09-14-09, 22:45
They were the old stock "cut" barrels. Not CFH. I enjoyed watching the discussions on other boards from people going nuts trying to buy them up, looks like they did.
I knew it was too good to be true since every other vender selling DD CFH barrels are selling them for well over $300. It just made sense to me that Brownells made an error. But there are always going to be enough foolish people around to jump on the band wagon.

It's just that CFH barrels are the current rage and everyone with a few extra dollars laying around are jumping in trying to get a deal or to take advantage of an honest error/mistake.(like the $1 charging handles at Spike's) IMHO, they got what they deserved this time around.

If it sounds to good to be true... it is too good to be true.
I wonder how many barrels will be returned to Brownells????

Surf
09-14-09, 23:06
I also saw the DD barrels the day they hit Brownells. I had already picked one up from Midway but the Brownells price was a bit better. However I was more than sure that they were not the CHF barrels. On a side note, I took out my latest build with the DD barrel and it shot very very well. :)

Wonder what Brownells response will be on the barrel issue. Still was a great price IMO for the product, but definitely a mistake.

wake.joe
09-14-09, 23:11
Deleted

scottryan
09-15-09, 08:35
Never seen the hype here. The barrel doesn't have any FSB which would cost a minimum of $200 to have this installed correctly.

$170 for a stripped barrel is not a deal.

Surf
09-15-09, 22:40
Can you please tell me where to find a stripped mid length barrel, barrel extension, M4 ramps, 4150 steel, chrome lined, 1:7, HP / MPI, of this quality and finish for a lesser price?

scottryan
09-15-09, 22:54
Can you please tell me where to find a stripped mid length barrel, barrel extension, M4 ramps, 4150 steel, chrome lined, 1:7, HP / MPI, of this quality and finish for a lesser price?

These barrels are not midlength first of all.

For the time and money you need to make this complete, you are better off buying a 6920 upper off of gunbroker and removing the barrel and selling off the rest.

A stripped barrel for anything over $125 is not a deal.

Warg
09-15-09, 23:26
Never seen the hype here. The barrel doesn't have any FSB which would cost a minimum of $200 to have this installed correctly.

$170 for a stripped barrel is not a deal.

Adco charges $125 to install a user supplied FSB with taper pins and $155 for the same service using Acdo supplied FSBs. This totals $325 for the barrel and installed FSB which I think is a pretty good deal and a proper installation.

Show me where you can buy stripped barrels of similar quality for less money and I'll happily purchase several.

Warg
09-15-09, 23:37
I also saw the DD barrels the day they hit Brownells. I had already picked one up from Midway but the Brownells price was a bit better. However I was more than sure that they were not the CHF barrels. On a side note, I took out my latest build with the DD barrel and it shot very very well. :)

Wonder what Brownells response will be on the barrel issue. Still was a great price IMO for the product, but definitely a mistake.

I think we were all certain this was the case as well, but I think it was worth investigating. Their e-mailed response to me today was that it was, in fact, a mistake:

"Gene,

I got a reply back from our copy writing section and the “Hammer Forged” portion was added to the copy section by error and has been removed to reflect these are cut rifling and are not cold hammer forged. Sorry about the inconvenience but the error was inadvertent and the pricing reflected the correctly for the product.

Name withheld

Gunsmith Technical Support Supervisor

Brownells Inc."

I appreciate Brownells acknowledgement of the error and will continue to do business with them.

Even so, I still think it's a "good deal".

Surf
09-16-09, 01:19
Agreed. It was a good way to handle the mistake. I use Brownells quite frequently and have nothing but good experiences with them.

Surf
09-16-09, 02:10
These barrels are not midlength first of all.

For the time and money you need to make this complete, you are better off buying a 6920 upper off of gunbroker and removing the barrel and selling off the rest.

A stripped barrel for anything over $125 is not a deal.First of all, my bad, I shoulda said carbine. Sorry was reading a mid length discussion and had it on the brain.

Time and money to make it complete? How do you know what parts I need or don't need? Talk about time and money.....You suggest I take time to buy an upper off of gun broker, then turn around and sell the parts? That sounds like quite a bit more of my time. You obviously have no clue how bad shipping companies costs can be for the weight of just an upper to my location. And if I can't sell locally, many people in the upper 48 don't appreciate my shipping costs either.

I didn't want or need a fixed base sight barrel assembly for this past upper build. Just needed the stripped barrel as I already had everything else.

Now if you could show me a source to buy a stripped barrel with the same quality (see pic below), 4150 steel, 1:7, chrome lined, M4 ramps, HP/MPI with this quality of a finish for $125 I would very much appreciate it as I have parts for a couple more rifles. I would actually like one in an 18" length also. And no, I am not buying uppers and taking the time and effort to sell off parts.

I will be eagerly awaiting, if not I am going to hit up Midway again for another one. Thanks in advance.

Something similar to this for $125 would be nice. Just needs to be the barrel of course, but I would take a complete barrel assembly for near this price.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/SPR002.jpg

I have roughly $470 into this upper as is. Of course the Troy rail took up a good portion of that. I would actually like an 18" for this rail. I would be willing to pay a bit more than $125 for the 18" barrel, so let me know.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/SPR003.jpg

Surf
09-16-09, 02:14
I will be eagerly awaiting, if not I am going to hit up Midway again for another one. Thanks in advance. Ah crap, Midway is out also.

slustan
09-16-09, 10:01
Here's where I got my chf with fsb for 290.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/121/162