PDA

View Full Version : September 19th Quantico 3 Gun!

Garandad
09-11-09, 22:18
September 19th Quantico 3 Gun!

Please read everything! There are a few changes.

The next match will be held on 19 September 2009 at the HRP ranges off of Willis Road, next to Range 4 (the 1000 yard range). Setup at 0700, signup at 0900, match starts at 1000. We will have at least 4 stages (possibly 5) and most will be multigun. To make it easier for me I’d appreciate it if you’d send your slot requests to Quantico3Gun@gmail.com rather than replying to this email.

I am still working with Quantico Shooting Club and Range Control to get access to the longer field ranges. Keep your fingers crossed so we have that access for November’s match. Another possibility for November may be Range 4 for some long range.

From I95, take the lower Quantico exit (148) and head west – you’ll be on Camp Barrett Road. From the bottom of the ramp it’s 3.7 miles to Willis Road. At Willis, turn RIGHT and go past the white building on your right and then take the next RIGHT by Pistol re-qual. Park in the lot, the HRP ranges are next to Re-Qual. If you get lost, you can try to call me but cell phones rarely work in that area. 571-643-9361. Be polite at the MP at the checkpoint and tell them you’re going to HRP for a match.

- If the gate is closed at Willis road, proceed to the next right turn and come down through Weapons Training Battalion to the stop sign. Turn RIGHT, come back across the 1000 yard range and turn LEFT on Willis Road. Watch your speed through here!

A GPS address which will get you close:

Weapons Training Battalion
27211 Garand Rd.
Quantico, Va 22134

I’m starting from scratch and I have 6 target stands and one mini popper. Anything you can bring – target stands, poppers, plates, i.e., any rated steel – will be greatly appreciated. I’ll have target sticks, targets and pasters. Because the HRP ranges are shallow – 50 to 60 yards deep – all rifle will be on paper for this match. I’m working on getting access to two other ranges that will allow us to shoot out a lot further and to use flashers and self-setting poppers but that will be for the next match – probably July. To start, matches will be every other month. If there is enough interest and enough support we’ll move to an every month schedule. I’m attaching a word file of the rules. Basically, its Andy Horner’s rules slightly modified and the scoring is points down. For the first match, scoring will be straight time plus (i.e., no points down) but thereafter we’ll move to the Horner scoring method.

A caution on ammo. Absolutely no steel core, steel jacket or black tip ammunition. None of us can afford to have our personal steel perforated so anyone using prohibited ammo will be told to leave and they will not come back. Everyone can find a cheap magnet – check it first.

The ranges will have to be completely cleaned when we leave. All brass and all trash must be picked up which is one reason why we will not be shooting clays.

Match fee will be $20. Any active duty Marine shoots for free as long as I don’t have to pay the base. I am applying for sanctioning with the NRA and that will eliminate range fees. We need to build up a kitty for targets. I’d also appreciate it if you’ll let me know what steel you can bring so I can base the stages on what I have available. I’m going to run one time slot (at least to start) and I’ll probably limit this to 50 shooters.

Use Quantico3gun@gmail.com to register and to let me know what you have for targets and props. Figure on 100 rounds of rifle, 100 rounds of pistol and 50 shot. Divisions will be Tactical Irons, Tactical Optics, Open and Heavy Metal. If we get the longer ranges (and there is enough interest) we’ll add a Heavy Metal Optics Division

Quantico is a great venue and we all want to see this work so let’s do it!

See you the 19th !

Mike

--

"For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 1965-1968 RVN 66-67

Garandad
09-11-09, 22:35
Further info.
At the last couple of matches 7.62 was not cleared for use, so best to stick w/ 5.56.
I will be bringing shotgun steel, and we may or may not have use of USMC poppers and steel. If you have rated steel, please notify Mike at email listed above.
The Marine Corps has been very generous and supportive in allowing this venue to grow.

Steve

Robb Jensen
09-12-09, 09:59
I won't be making this one as I'll be at the 2009 Silencer Shoot in GA that weekend. I'm sure it'll be a great match.