PDA

View Full Version : DDM4 Flip up front sight swap?

jp0319
09-12-09, 00:50
I am thinking of replacing the front sight tower on my DDM4 with a flip up front sight gas block combo. My questions are as follows: 1) is removal and reinstallation of the Omega X reasonably simple 2) what sight/gas block would you choose

kwelz
09-12-09, 02:49
I recommend against it. I don't like clamp on Gas blocks. Trade it out for a 6940. ;)

30in1
09-12-09, 04:32
I recommend against it. I don't like clamp on Gas blocks. Trade it out for a 6940. ;)

Ever shoot 100-200 rounds through you AR and the front sight gets hot as crap. Well try and flip up that toasty front sight that is fixed to your gas block. Better to go with a Troy on a rail.

By the way I have a DDM4 also and don't really mind the fixed front with an Eotech on a Larue Lt-110 riser with a 1/3 co-witness, also has a fixed Larue rear buis. Why are you wanting to change? Personal preference? What optics are you mounting?

Just curious.

jp0319
09-12-09, 05:21
The reason I am thinking of changing is mainly personal preference and for an un obstructed view with the optic (Aimpoint ML3). I am not totally set on it I would just rather not have a fixed front sight tree. I am NOT swapping for a 6940, no thanks. I love the DDM4, I saw someone on here that did this to theirs and I thought that was a good Idea. I totally agree on the dislike of clamp ons I was hoping maybe there was as flip up FSB that could be pinned.

jp0319
09-12-09, 05:37
I just found a gas block folding FSP that uses taper pins, GG&G makes a Tactical Modular Flip up Front Sight that takes pins. My biggest concern is the DD Omega rail, how easy is it to remove and re-install? I know how to add and remove lets say a Larue rail but from cursory exam it is not completely obvious to me how the Omega goes on and comes off.

Sam
09-12-09, 06:18
Make sure your new gas block/flip up front sight will FIT into the "sight opening" in the Omega X rail. You may have to cut or enlarge the opening in the rail.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34971

Iraqgunz
09-12-09, 13:07
I recommend that you send the upper to gotm4 and have him cut and shave the front sight base. Then use a good rail mounted flip sight.

I just found a gas block folding FSP that uses taper pins, GG&G makes a Tactical Modular Flip up Front Sight that takes pins. My biggest concern is the DD Omega rail, how easy is it to remove and re-install? I know how to add and remove lets say a Larue rail but from cursory exam it is not completely obvious to me how the Omega goes on and comes off.

jp0319
09-13-09, 03:48
I thought of that COA but the big gap in the rail would look kinda unsightly I figured with a flip up FSP/Gas Block it would fill that void. It is still on option the one positive there would be the additional sight distance. If I shaved the FSB (which I can do) I would probibly just get another rail. So you can see the delima.