PDA

View Full Version : First black rifle "build"

Boothj
09-12-09, 09:41
I am building my first black rifle. I have owned a few in the past but never built one. Can anyone give me advice ( tools needed, technique etc.) Iwas wanting to build 6.8 rifle. Maybe a vltor vis, woa 16" barrel, lmt defender lower?

Julius Carbinius
09-12-09, 10:03
Welcome to the forum.

There's lots of info here, and since I'm fairly new here as well, I'll let the much more knowledgeable folks answer your questions.

Couple of things I think they'd want to know: what do you intend to do with your new rifle? (home defense, duty use, target practice, etc.). Do you intend to build from scratch (install the barrel to the upper, build the trigger assy., etc.) or do you plan to attach a complete upper to a complete lower and add stocks, rails, grips, etc.? Also, how much are you willing to spend? They might want to know these things in advance.

Again, welcome to the forum. :D

Boothj
09-12-09, 10:09
Thanks for the welcome and info.
The build is mostly just a hobby. Ill mainly be using the rifle for target shooting/ home defense. This is mainly just something I've always wanted to do. I would like to build it from scratch. I would also be interested in an sbr. But do not know the process. Any advice would be great.

Bill Bryant
09-12-09, 10:27
If you're bolting every part together yourself, I don't know of a better guide than this one from Brownells:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/guntechdetail/How_to_Build_An_AR_15_Video

Along with the videos, it provides a complete set of supplementary pdf files and lists of needed tools for each step.

Bill Bryant
09-12-09, 10:30
The Brownells guide doesn't tell you anything valuable about which components to purchase (i.e. one brand of part over another) but it provides excellent information about how to cobble things together once you've decided on which parts you want.

Boothj
09-12-09, 22:32
I really appreciate the info and I will checking it out.