PDA

View Full Version : Bought an Ak and have some questions

number1olddog
09-12-09, 12:25
This is my first AK. I bought a Romanian Wasr and wanted to know if there are any things I should look at to make sure I got a good one. I understand these are the cheaper ones and there are a lot better out there but I will just be using this one for plinking. I noticed the trigger has Tapco on it. What other Tapco parts are in here and are they decent parts? I use MPRO 7 one my LMT AR and was wondering if this lube will be ok on my AK as well. Also will the Wolf steel ammo be ok to shoot in my AK as I dont shoot it in my AR. Any info will be great. Thanks.

warpigM-4
09-12-09, 12:32
check your front sight I have seen a few that were canted

Iraq Ninja
09-12-09, 16:20
Is your Wasr used? Tapco triggers don't come standard on Wasr, but they are good. One of a few really good things from Tapco. We have no way of knowing what other Tapco stuff is on your rifle. It is not a factory item.

AKs love steel cased ammo.

The type of lube you use is not so critical when compared to the M4. The AK will out perform the M4 in environments that do not allow for proper maintenance and lubrication. Red lithium grease is popular and works well.

number1olddog
09-12-09, 17:26
I bought it this morning at a gun shop. I do believe it is new or the guy who sold it to me lied. Anyways, it had a whole bunch of a reddish thick grease in it and on the places where roll pins were on the outside of it. It came with two Tapco mags ( and the other usual stuff, oiler sling bayonet etc.) and I noticed the trigger had tapco stamped on it. Do WASR s not come with Tapco stuff bought by people in the U.S.?

cougar_guy04
09-12-09, 17:27
Is your Wasr used? Tapco triggers don't come standard on Wasr, but they are good. One of a few really good things from Tapco. We have no way of knowing what other Tapco stuff is on your rifle. It is not a factory item.

AKs love steel cased ammo.

The type of lube you use is not so critical when compared to the M4. The AK will out perform the M4 in environments that do not allow for proper maintenance and lubrication. Red lithium grease is popular and works well.
The CAI WASR 10/63 I picked up in early October last year has a Tapco G2 trigger and it's just as it left Century's place.

Iraq Ninja
09-12-09, 17:35
I was just about to ask if it came from Century. If so, it should have a tapco trigger and converted to use ak mags. Sounds like you got a new Century AK...

number1olddog
09-12-09, 17:49
Well honestly guys I dont know where it was shipped from since I am new to this Ak platform. Thanks for the info guys. Yall were really helpful.

SoDak
09-12-09, 18:16
I got a wasr at least a year and a half ago(it was when they were $350 at AIM surplus), and it had a tapco g2 trigger group. I'm thinking the gas piston was too. From what I understand, tapco g2 trigger groups are good and I think their pistons are fine. The other stuff can be hit or miss.

sdcromer
09-12-09, 18:16
All WASR's are imported by Century and yes the ones lately are being shipped with Tapco G2 fire control groups. As stated before, check your front sight base as sometimes they are canted.

Here is a good reference: http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/