PDA

View Full Version : Bolt-action polish

apache64
09-12-09, 12:56
Has anyone ever done a simple smoothing / polishing on a bolt gun? I have a new LTR that I would like to smooth the action a little. I don't have my scope yet and the rifle is not broke in at this time.

I got to work with some 700s redone by Hart and their actions were like butter.

Thanks.

gngtools
09-13-09, 12:01
I havent done any polishing, but I have an LTR too and after I broke it in (about 200 rounds) it really started to smooth out. It felt just a real stiff when I switched from by 700PSS, but I had about 8000 rounds through that... I would only recommend you try letting it settle in and smooth out naturally to start with, then if it doesnt get where you like it, you can try something else.

usmc51
09-13-09, 12:14
I would recommend just using it for a while and seeing if that polishes it to a satisfactory degree. Other, more risky, methods are available, and I have used them on different projects. Jeweler's rouge and silicon carbide pastes will speed up the process but can cause more damage than they fix if not used sparingly and cleaned up EXTREMELY well.

apache64
09-13-09, 18:45
Thanks everyone. At the rate I'm going, I may not have my scope set up before Christmas. I'm torn between a Bushnell 6500 2.5 x 14 and a Sightron of similar configuration. It's hard being patient.

Thanks especially for the jeweler's rouge caution. I was looking at it and remembered, if you're not sure, it's probably wrong. At least I didn't ask if anyone tried the famous Dremel.

I have shot two other LTRs and hope mine follows in the footsteps of the others.

jkingrph
09-20-09, 14:41
You may try a little coating of flitz on the bolt, try not to get any on the back side of locking lugs although a little polishing there should not hurt. Cycle a few hundred times then clean very well. If the stiffness is just on the reciprocationg motion, just run bolt back and fourth and do not turn down. I often remove the stricker for this procedure. It worked well on a big CZ 550 375 I have.

matrxx
09-21-09, 15:45
coating of flitz will works,but I would leave it alone.

buggsb
03-01-10, 16:27
coating of flitz will works,but I would leave it alone.

+1 Just shoot it...it should smooth up just fine on it's own....

If, after you have shot it for awhile, it doesn't smooth up, there are a number of reputable riflesmiths out there who can properly diagnose and correctr any problems.