PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help!

drub
09-13-09, 04:30
first post guys - go easy!
- ok i just purchased a Umarex M4 .22 and should be getting it next week. I have a bunch of questions as I'm already looking to get some goodies with it. Any help would be a greatly appreciate it and I look forward to many years with my m4 along with this great community. Anyhow, here are my questions for NOW :D:

1. I live in California and to my understanding, I cannot have a magazine with a higher capacity than 10 rounds - but i love the look of a higher capacity magazine. Can i get a magazine that looks like high capacity but only holds 10 rounds?

2. I'm looking to get a scope for prolly under $100 - something with magnification, don't need the red dot or laser - any recommendations? I'm looking at a Nikko mountmaster 3-9x40 AO because it's cheap - but i would like something that looks tactical. I've also seen some pictures with M4s with two scopes mounted - what is that for?

3. open stock - or whatever you call it. the butt stock that pushes against your shoulder - I've seen a picture with one that looks like a hollow triangle - i can't find it anymore. does anyone know it?

that's it for now - i'm sure i'll post much more in the future as i learn more about this capabilities. thanks a bunch in advance for giving me any advice!

relevant history - i've shot my friend's umarex M4 before and i own a HK pistol .40 so i'm not totally clueless about firearms - just rifles. :D

i'm excited about getting my rifle and joining this community!
andrew.

Failure2Stop
09-13-09, 08:13
.22 copies of ARs are not ARs, they are .22s that look like ARs.
I am not saying this to dismiss you, but rather to be upfront about the fact that things that we care about may be transparent or irrelevant to you.

I am not going to give legal advice, and recommend that no one does other than a law professional from California familiar with CA Firearms laws as well as available .22 magazines that are compliant with CA law.

While there are very few of us that would recommend a cheap optic, whatever floats your boat will be ok for a .22 plinker, as long as it is decent.

All buttstocks push against your shoulder, or more specifically, you push them against your shoulder. By your description I believe that you are talking about a Magpul CTR or MOE. See them here- CTR (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=CTR-NM) MOE (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MOE-STK)
AR buttstocks generally come in 2 versions- Mil-Spec and Commercial. You will need to know what dimension you need to fit your gun.

I will probably move this to a more relevant area since you are not asking questions or needing answers about an AR.
ETA- Moved to current location in "Pistol Caliber ARs" sub-forum.

LOKNLOD
09-13-09, 10:18
I would try doing some reading and question asking at this site:

http://www.calguns.net/

Those folks are stuck dealing with the quagmire of crazy California restrictions every day and can point you in the right direction.

drub
09-13-09, 12:58
Thanks a lot guys!