PDA

View Full Version : any mountain bikers needing advice...

ccoker
09-13-09, 10:10
just offering up some assistance if needed

I used to own a custom mountain bike shop, www.hammerheadbikes.com, in Austin, TX

been doing it seriously for over 15 years

if anyone on this forum needs any advice, please feel free to shoot me a PM
I have no financial motive, just trying to help

I have designed lots of custom frames, understand geometry, fit, disc brakes, suspension, tire nut, etc...

ST911
09-13-09, 19:14
Coincidentally, your services are needed:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37770

jhonmartin
09-30-09, 01:49
Hi ccoker.

My Name is Jhon and I was wondering if anyone here could assist me, i live on the outskirts of my town so it takes me about 30 minutes to ride in for work etc. I have been using an old battered carrera mountain bike its nothing special. But i have really enjoyed riding and i think i have discovered a passion
I am looking to buy my first full suspension bike i have around £250 to spend (i know its not much but if i get alot of use ill get a better one)

What are some good choices for a begginer at that sort of price?

M4arc
09-30-09, 06:54
Thanks for the offer ccoker!

I grew up riding, racing and working in bike shops as well. I've been riding mountain bikes for 26 years now! I recently purchased a new Gary Fisher Paragon (29") and I absolutely love it.

I also race road and cyclocross.

My road and cyclocross bikes are Treks and my mountain bikes are Gary Fishers but I still have a Fat Chance upstairs ;)

Iraq Ninja
09-30-09, 07:01
What about a discussion of tactical off road bikes? I think the military was looking in to them at one time. SW and Hummer had some too, but I have no idea what a good tactical bike consists of.

M4arc
09-30-09, 07:08
What about a discussion of tactical off road bikes? I think the military was looking in to them at one time. SW and Hummer had some too, but I have no idea what a good tactical bike consists of.

The S&W and Hummer bikes I've seen were pretty cheesy. I don't know who made the S&W bike but I believe the Hummer bikes were made by Swiss Bike and they were of the folding variety. I concept I've never seen work well. Both were lower end bikes...not to say they're bad just to say they aren't great.

As far as "tactical" bikes go, as earlier as 1990 the shop I worked at supplied mountain bikes to the VBPD and we never used the term tactical and they seemed to work just fine for them ;-)

eagle5
09-30-09, 09:34

What about the Montague Paratrooper - Tactical Folding Mountain Bike (http://www.militarybikes.com/)?

According to the website, some of the Paratrooper's practical uses include:
Air Drop Ground Mobility
LAV / Reconnaissance Scout
Alternative to Foot Soldier

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2153/2291771601_beb2fb7ba6_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2389/2250817444_1645822ea1.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3224/3111608738_0b797150a2_o.jpg

Now that is HSLD! Attach a MHBH (Magpul Hydration Bottle Holder) and these would fly off the shelves... or racks!

Iraq Ninja
09-30-09, 11:29
I remember an electric bike that was being tested as well. The manufacturer sold a civilian version, but restricted the mil version for some reason.

So, are electric bikes a gimmick or is the technology advanced enough to be useful?

BTW, we passed the Iraqi national cycling team the other day on the road. Not sure what they are training for...

ron_m4
10-13-09, 10:03
good day. i used to mountain bike several years ago... i quitted due to an accident during a competition. Recently i am planning to ride again, any advise what's the exact frame size for me ? i am 6 feet tall. I want a frame that fits for long ride and occasional downhill ride.

Shall i go full suspension or hardtail ? shimano XT / XTR for my groupset.

tks

ccoker
10-13-09, 12:31
I would go FS for sure, how much travel you want is a preferential thing
5" is pretty standard these days
as for sizing, at 6ft, around a 24" effective toptube, maybe a 110" stem, dependent upon your leg length and ratio of leg to torso

XT (XTR is a LOT more money and is only marginally lighter)
I am a big fan of SRAM for shifters and rear ders, X9 in this case
hydraulic disc brakes are pretty standard and a must
go with a 7" rotor up front, 8 if you are over 200lbs
suspension: Fox pretty much owns the market

brands of frames, Titus, Ellsworth, Intense, Knolly, Ventana, etc.
pick the frame, then build to your specs

if you want a 2K bike, go mass produced (Specialized, Trek, Kona)
if you want to spend north of 3K, look at customs (above referenced frames)
no sense spending 4-5k on a stock bike when you can have a handbuilt one to your specs...

I am no longer in the biz and have no financial interest in my old shop, but, these guys will take care of you

www.hammerheadbikes.com

tell them Charles sent you

M4arc
10-13-09, 12:47
good day. i used to mountain bike several years ago... i quitted due to an accident during a competition. Recently i am planning to ride again, any advise what's the exact frame size for me ? i am 6 feet tall. I want a frame that fits for long ride and occasional downhill ride.

Shall i go full suspension or hardtail ? shimano XT / XTR for my groupset.

tks

Where do you live and how much do you plan to spend? How much to you currently weight? What type of riding do you plan on doing? Do you plan on racing?

A freeride or downhill bike will not be comfortable for long rides. You can look at some of the 5" travel XC bikes like the Pivot. You might also want to check out the Gary Fisher Superfly 100.

But I think we need to know the answers to the questions above before we go any further.

ccoker
10-13-09, 13:39
agree...

M4Fundi
10-19-09, 13:40
My wife's team just came in 5th in the 24 HOURS of MOAB:D Just had to brag on her;)

M4arc
10-19-09, 13:49
My wife's team just came in 5th in the 24 HOURS of MOAB:D Just had to brag on her;)

Good for her! I was a nine year veteran of the 24 Hours of Canaan and 5th was the best placing we ever came in.

M4Fundi
10-19-09, 14:34
Canaan... isn't that one usually cold and muddy?

Last year's Moab was miserable. Cold windstorms Granny Gear had to buy 1000s of masks for everyone so they didn't get silica poisoning b/c there was so much sand in the air:eek:

This year the weather was absolutely perfect:D (unfortuantely only about a 1/4 of the sponsors/vendors present and much reduced #s of riders, especially women:( It was a bit of a cockfight this year w/o the scenery of past years:()

M4arc
10-19-09, 14:43
Canaan... isn't that one usually cold and muddy?

It can be! One year it rained the whole time and the mud was so bad you had to drag your bike downhill! You simply couldn't ride certain sections of the course.

Another year it snowed (in June) after being in the 70s earlier in the day.

Thats West "by God" Virginia for you!

ron_m4
10-26-09, 06:41
I would go FS for sure, how much travel you want is a preferential thing
5" is pretty standard these days
as for sizing, at 6ft, around a 24" effective toptube, maybe a 110" stem, dependent upon your leg length and ratio of leg to torso

XT (XTR is a LOT more money and is only marginally lighter)
I am a big fan of SRAM for shifters and rear ders, X9 in this case
hydraulic disc brakes are pretty standard and a must
go with a 7" rotor up front, 8 if you are over 200lbs
suspension: Fox pretty much owns the market

brands of frames, Titus, Ellsworth, Intense, Knolly, Ventana, etc.
pick the frame, then build to your specs

if you want a 2K bike, go mass produced (Specialized, Trek, Kona)
if you want to spend north of 3K, look at customs (above referenced frames)
no sense spending 4-5k on a stock bike when you can have a handbuilt one to your specs...

I am no longer in the biz and have no financial interest in my old shop, but, these guys will take care of you

www.hammerheadbikes.com

tell them Charles sent you

hi sir, i am confined with shimano parts only since its only the most widely distiributed here in the philippines. ( is Deore groupset enough? )

Frame brands likewise are vellum, specialized, cannondale, jamis , merida are my choices since the distributors only carry these brands ( i might miss some names ).

Am willing to spend a little over 2k maybe.

weekend ride is about 40kms for me.... race? mmmm.... maybe cos i have tried several novice racing and so far i did well for my 200lbs built.

travistheone
10-26-09, 10:36
Another bicycle expert checking in. wrenching for 7 straight years so far. If you are spending over 2000, you should be satisfied with nothing less then deore. It is good stuff, don't write off SRAM if you find any. I would stay away from cannondale, (crack-n-fail) because of their seemingly ever changing ownership and bussiness policy. Specialized is a good bicycle, a small step up from the Jamis. No Treks over there?

doughnut
10-26-09, 11:26
It can be! One year it rained the whole time and the mud was so bad you had to drag your bike downhill! You simply couldn't ride certain sections of the course.

Another year it snowed (in June) after being in the 70s earlier in the day.

Thats West "by God" Virginia for you!

I raced 24hrs of Snowshoe in '01 and the mud was like glue. You could literally let go of your bike and it would stand upright. I would peridically have to stop and pull hand fulls of mud from my fork and seatstays. It was Awesome!

BiggLee71
10-28-09, 21:35
Thanks CCoker.Your knowledge is much appreciated.I've been DHing since the sports inception.

BSHNT2015
10-29-09, 08:47
Good info I'll stop going to REI now;)

ron_m4
11-13-09, 08:58
we have KHS here in the philippines and a couple of specialized and giant plus tomac.

i go for hardtail with 19inch frame. Deore groupset is a nice suggestion guys.

next week i will visit the bike shop and get started. i run 10k every other day that's why i wanted to have a bike again for crosstraining.

peace !