PDA

View Full Version : American Police Force?

montanadave
09-13-09, 10:10
Here's an item from a local paper. I think the article is pretty self explanatory vis-a-vis the background story on this detention facility. I'm curious about this American Police Force.

Anybody ever heard of this outfit? This whole deal looks pretty sketchy from my vantage point.

GOVERNMENT DATABASES SHOW NO RECORD OF AMERICAN POLICE FORCE
Questions swirling around jail deal

By MATTHEW BROWN Associated Press | Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:00

The Two Rivers Detention Center was promoted as the largest economic development project in decades in the small town of Hardin when the jail was built two years ago. But it has been vacant ever since.
City officials have searched from Vermont to Alaska for inmate contracts to fill the jail, only to be turned down at every turn and see the bonds that financed its construction fall into default. They even floated the idea of housing prisoners from Guantanamo Bay at the jail.
So when Hardin officials announced last week that they had signed a deal with a California company to fill the empty jail, it was naturally a cause for celebration. Town officials talked about throwing a party to mark the occasion, their dreams of economic salvation a step closer to being realized.
But questions are emerging over the legitimacy of the company, American Police Force.
Government contract databases show no record of the company. Security industry representatives and federal officials said they had never heard of it. On its Web site, the company lists as its headquarters a building in Washington near the White House that holds "virtual offices." A spokeswoman for the building said American Police Force never completed its application to use the address.
And it's unclear where the company will get the inmates for the jail. Montana says it's not sending inmates to the jail, and neither are federal officials in the state.
An attorney for American Police Force, Maziar Mafi, describes the Santa Ana, Calif., company as a fledgling spin-off of a major security firm founded in 1984. But Mafi declined to name the parent firm or provide details on how the company will finance its jail operations.
"It will gradually be more clear as things go along," said Mafi, a personal injury and medical malpractice lawyer in Santa Ana who was hired by American Police Force only a month ago. "The nature of this entity is private security and for security purposes, as well as for the interest of their clientele, that's why they prefer not to be upfront."
On its elaborate Web site and in interviews with company representatives, American Police Force claims to sell assault rifles and other weapons in Afghanistan on behalf of the U.S. military while providing security, investigative work and other services to clients "in all 50 states and most countries."
The company also boasts to have "rapid response units awaiting our orders worldwide" and that it can field a battalion-sized team of special forces soldiers "within 72 hours."
Representatives of American Police Force said the company presently employs at least 16 and as many as 28 people in the United States and 1,600 contractors worldwide.
"APF plays a critical role in helping the U.S. government meet vital homeland security and national defense needs," the company says on its Web site. "Within the last five years the United States has been far and away our" No. 1 client.
However, an Associated Press search of two comprehensive federal government contractor databases turned up no record of American Police Force.
Representatives of security trade groups said they had never heard of American Police Force, although they added that secrecy was prevalent in the industry and it was possible the company had avoided the public limelight.
"They're really invisible," said Alan Chvotkin, executive vice president and counsel for the Professional Services Council. The group's members include major security contractors Triple Canopy, DynCorp and Xe Services, formerly known as Blackwater Worldwide.
"Even a single unclassified contract in the last couple of years should show up" in the federal database, Chvotkin said.
Spokesmen for the State Department and Defense Department said they could not immediately find any records of contracts with the company. The city has not released a copy of its agreement with American Police Force. But the deal as announced would be a sweet one for Hardin, a depressed rural town of 3,500 about 45 miles east of Billings.
The company is pledging to fill the 464-bed facility by early next year.
Hardin officials say the first payment on the contract is due Feb. 1 - regardless of whether any prisoners are in place. The city's economic development authority would get enough money to pay off the bondholders and receive $5 per prisoner a day.
American Police Force also is promising to invest $30 million in new projects for the city, including a military and law enforcement training center with a 250-bed dormitory and an expansion of the jail to 2,000 beds. The company says it will build a homeless shelter, offer free health care for city residents and even deliver meals to the needy.
Where the prisoners would come from is unclear. City officials said California was the most likely possibility, but a spokesman for that state's corrections system said there was no truth to the claim.
Federal prisoners also were mentioned by both American Police Force and the city. U.S. Marshal Dwight MacKay in Billings said he would have been notified if such a plan was pending.
"There's skepticism over whether this is a real thing," MacKay said.
Hardin officials said they were approached by American Police Force about six months ago, soon after the city made international news in its quest to become "America's Gitmo." American Police Force incorporated around the same time.
Albert Peterson, the city's school superintendent and vice president of the authority that built the jail, said the city was "guaranteed" the contract would be upheld.
"There's never a question in my mind after I've done my homework. It's legit," Peterson said of American Police Force. "We believe in each other."
The contract was still being reviewed by the city attorney, he said.
Peterson refused to answer when asked if he knew the name of American Police Force's parent firm. He said news coverage of the city's political tussles with the administration of Gov. Brian Schweitzer had left him suspicious of the press. The administration brought a court challenge over whether Hardin could take out-of-state inmates at the jail.
"If you're looking for the source of the money, you're not going to find it from me," Peterson said.
A member of the Texas consortium that developed the jail, Mike Harling, said he had "every reason to believe they'll be successful."
Mafi, the American Police Force attorney, said his company intends to reverse Hardin's recent problems with the jail and give the town an economic boost.
In Santa Ana, American Police Force occupies a single suite on the second floor of a two-story office building. During a visit to the location Thursday, a reporter for The Associated Press encountered a uniformed man behind a desk who would identify himself only as "Captain Michael."
The man declined to discuss basic details about the company and referred the reporter to the company's Web site. In a subsequent phone interview, he provided his surname but insisted it not be used because of security concerns. The man said he was a naturalized U.S. citizen born in Montenegro with decades of experience in military and law enforcement operations.
The man said his boss is a retired U.S. Army colonel named Richard Culver who is currently overseas. Culver's role with the company could not be immediately verified.
The company claim of a headquarters address is just up the street from the White House.
The K Street building houses "virtual offices," where clients pay to use the prestigious Pennsylvania Avenue address and gain access to onsite conference rooms but have no permanent presence.
"It lets small businesses get started up and have a professional front and not have a lot of a cash to do it," said Ashley Korner with Preferred Offices, which leases the location.
She said American Police Force's application to use the address was pending but incomplete.
Associated Press writer Amy Taxin contributed to this story from Santa Ana.

bkb0000
09-13-09, 12:57
http://www.americanpolicegroup.com/

very grandiose. 'cept it has a number of spelling, grammar and syntax errors.

looks like a two-guys-and-a-laptop outfit.. my guess would be that Captain Michael is one of them.

montanadave
09-13-09, 13:18
http://www.americanpolicegroup.com/

very grandiose. 'cept it has a number of spelling, grammar and syntax errors.

looks like a two-guys-and-a-laptop outfit.. my guess would be that Captain Michael is one of them.

Captain Michael?

bkb0000
09-13-09, 13:22
Captain Michael?

the uniformed security guard from Montenegro that the AP interviewed outside the "office" of American Police Force

montanadave
09-13-09, 15:23
the uniformed security guard from Montenegro that the AP interviewed outside the "office" of American Police Force

Sorry, my bad. I thought you were referring to some paramilitary Blackwater-type bigwig whose name I simply did not recognize. Needless to say, the comments on the Billings Gazette website are leaning heavily towards the WTF? regarding this story with conjectures ranging from CIA "black" prisons to barracks for Obama's storm troopers.

My guess is somebody is looking to milk the local rubes for a "feasibility study" or expenses before vanishing with the cash. Guess we'll all find out in due time. That or Hardin, Montana is fixing to be the new home base for Team America: World Police. **** YEAH!

Outlander Systems
10-03-09, 09:06
Montana Dave: Your intuition serves you well.

If anyone's been following this story, it's one WTF after another:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_f311dee6-afbe-11de-8149-001cc4c03286.html

Cruncher Block
10-03-09, 10:54
After my initial WTF, I thought the americanpolicegroup.com site was kind of funny.

Start with some of the posed over-the-top paintball commando pictures (mixed with some real pictures you could probably find on google images).

My favorite was the shot of the guy with two handguns in front of a helicopter that looks like it was cropped out of a videogame.

Then there was the "Bolero" soundtrack to accompany the site. Couldn't you at least go with "Flight of the Valkyries"? :)

"I love the smell of Photoshop in the morning!"

But the real gut-buster was when I saw they offered "Covert Pregnancy Testing". I couldn't help but picture a lady in the restroom while some guy in a ninja suit is reaching under the stall to sneak a test strip under her. :D

At first I thought it was all a "Blair Witch" viral marketing campaign for a new movie or videogame. Seeing how seriously it's being taken by the newspaper and state, I'm more on board with the "two-guys-and-a-laptop" outfit theory suggested by bkb.

Bat Guano
10-03-09, 12:07
I live about 100 miles from there, have been following it in the Billings Gazette and on a blog. Sounds like a cross between the Marx brothers and Blazing Saddles.

Last I heard the Montana AG is on it pretty well and Capt. Whatzizname is on his way back to the land of fruits & nuts. :rolleyes:

Stay tuned for the next episode.

obucina
10-03-09, 12:23
sounds like some interweb mall ninjas with a website.....too bad they didnt end meeting some "concerned citizens".

Outlander Systems
10-03-09, 12:53
I think the true disgrace is that it managed to get as far as it has.

Something makes me wonder if the town of Hardin is without internet access.

"Hokey" is an understatement. No professional outfit would sell themselves in such an over-the-top fashion. Why a real security firm, like Wackenhut wasn't involved is beyond me.

Knowing the nature of government work, APF was most likely the low bidder by magnitudes.

As always, you get what you pay for.

bkb0000
10-03-09, 13:08
Montana Dave: Your intuition serves you well.

If anyone's been following this story, it's one WTF after another:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_f311dee6-afbe-11de-8149-001cc4c03286.html

WOW.

what a bad attempt... sounds like they might have actually pulled it off had it not been for the black mercedeses with no license plates, poorly coordinated lies, letting a convicted felon lead the company, and making too many claims they obviously can't back up.

they already had the contract! all they had to do was maintain an actual low profile, instead of the extremely high fake-low-profile that had people scared the city was being ****in taken over, and they might have been able to at least get the company in place and the jail up and running before individual corporate officers came under scruitiny.

or maybe i'm giving them too much credit.

montanadave
10-03-09, 13:35
I don't think it helped to have Alex Jones show up in Hardin for a live broadcast during which locals started talking about black helicopters flying around town and black-clad paramilitary types conducting war exercises in the adjacent hills.

This whole charade has turned into a cluster f*ck of megaton yield.

SWATcop556
10-03-09, 13:37
Looks like bullshit, smells like bullshit, it must be..............you guessed it............BULLSHIT!!!!!!

I am really more than a little shocked that the city believed and fell for that. I hate to see it happen, but they should have done their home work. You mean to tell me that not one person on the economic development team didn't sit back for one second and ask "WTF?"

The media seemed to clue in pretty quick.

Rider79
10-03-09, 13:40

Pilgrim
10-03-09, 14:01
I'd like to know who paid for the Mercedes-Benz 'patrol cars'?

Seems like a hefty chunk of change to lay out.

montanadave
10-03-09, 14:08
I'd like to know who paid for the Mercedes-Benz 'patrol cars'?

Seems like a hefty chunk of change to lay out.

According to the latest reports in the Billings Gazette, the vehicles were leased by Hilton in California and the one remaining in Montana (driven by the local APF spokesperson) is delinquent in its payments. :D

TMMT
10-03-09, 14:10
This looks like something dreamed up by a bunch of nerds from lightfighter...

castillo
10-03-09, 21:10
If you look at their application .pdf it says a felony convictions might not neccesarily affect job application :rolleyes:

SWATcop556
10-03-09, 21:36
If you look at their application .pdf it says a felony convictions might not neccesarily affect job application :rolleyes:

One more reason for a bunch of these..........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bkb0000
10-03-09, 21:43
we should all apply

obucina
10-04-09, 09:36
http://www.americanpolicegroup.com/check.html

she has the "three's a party" look on her face:p

seriously, this website is frickin hilarious.

montanadave
10-04-09, 10:47
http://www.americanpolicegroup.com/check.html

she has the "three's a party" look on her face:p

seriously, this website is frickin hilarious.

Interesting. The APF has changed their name and website within the last several days. While similar, they are now calling themselves the American PRIVATE Police Force (as opposed to the previous American Police Force) and have changed the logo from what appeared to be the Serbian coat of arms to something else.

Nice to see they still kept the "Bolero" theme music. :D

00leland00
10-04-09, 11:39
http://www.americanpolicegroup.com/polygraph.html

That's the biggest damn polygraph I've ever seen. :rolleyes:

monkeywrench
10-04-09, 14:07
How many have tried to download the job application!

http://www.americanpolicegroup.com/careers_american_police_force.html

It does not work!!:eek::eek:

SWATcop556
10-04-09, 14:09
http://www.americanpolicegroup.com/polygraph.html

That's the biggest damn polygraph I've ever seen. :rolleyes:

Looks more like something you would find at Kinkos.

GLOCKMASTER
10-04-09, 14:22

Please refrain from making statements such as this, as many people that are members on LF are members here as well. Also it adds nothing to this discussion.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

m4fun
10-04-09, 15:48
I was hoping for the "Team America" soundtrack.

DocGKR
10-04-09, 15:57
Originally Posted by TMMT:

"This looks like something dreamed up by a bunch of nerds from lightfighter..."

I am a bit confused by this comment, as I know numerous Federal, State, County, and Municipal LE personnel, not to mention a variety of both active duty and reserve military service members, including more than a few folks from various SOF units, who all contribute their valuable expertise at LF. Why the unwarranted hostility towards "Lightfighter"?

signal4l
10-04-09, 16:51
Here are the results of a search on their domain name:

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: AMERICANPOLICEGROUP.COM
Created on: 15-May-09
Expires on: 15-May-10
Last Updated on: 29-Sep-09

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration AMERICANPOLICEGROUP.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration AMERICANPOLICEGROUP.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Domain servers in listed order:
NS25.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS26.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Registry Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Status: clientRenewProhibited
Registry Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registry Status: clientUpdateProhibited

Perhaps one of our more computer savy members could translate. Looks like they used a proxy to set this up

Littlelebowski
10-04-09, 19:47
The picture here (http://www.americanpolicegroup.com/american_private_police_force.html) of some guy carrying a pistol in each hand with a Photoshopped video game helicopter behind hims is priceless.

The whole web site seems to be a fairly clever joke dreamed up by teenage video game addicts.

Littlelebowski
10-04-09, 19:49

Like hell. LF is mainly military and LEO guys who love to expose nonsense like this.

EatSleepJeep
10-05-09, 11:02
Looks more like something you would find at Kinkos.

That's because it is a printing press.

Also, I would hope they use better camera equipment than a Canon 17-85 EF-S kit lens (http://www.americanpolicegroup.com/insurance.html). Oh, and the photo is reversed. Also the 16 year old film camera is a nice touch (http://www.americanpolicegroup.com/team.html)

Littlelebowski
10-05-09, 11:03
That's because it is a printing press.

That's hilarious :D

Rollin Thunder
10-05-09, 14:50
Looks like someone was having dreams of starting a domestic Blackwater"lite".
Maybe he should have called it "Graywater" instead. Life's a bitch when you don't have start up capital, you have to resort to photoshop:D

Ridge_Runner_5
10-06-09, 02:19
One more reason for a bunch of these..........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It is my understanding that their head honcho is a convicted felon...

TommyG
10-07-09, 20:06
Who did they send to the meeting that landed the contract? It blows my mind that they landed the contract and were working on settling in to the town. :confused:

RogerinTPA
10-07-09, 20:42
Glenn Beck did a segment on them today. The owner is a POS who has several aliases, a rap sheet a mile long, and owes a shitload of coin to a whole lot of people. Their logo was traced to a Serbian Crest, (Who knows why) then painted over to blue. They also recently under gone a name change to further add more smoke to the mirrors.

Mac5.56
10-07-09, 23:21
I've got to admit this is one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time! It is sad too, but it the town government of Hardin deserves a collective Digital Darwin Award for this one!

Redmanfms
10-09-09, 15:15
I've got to admit this is one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time! It is sad too, but it the town government of Hardin deserves a collective Digital Darwin Award for this one!

Hey, when you're an ass pimple town in the middle of bum**** nowhere and you issued 27 million dollars of bonds (because let's face it, a town like Hardin hasn't collected $27 million in revenue total since it was founded) to build a prison and nobody sends you their convicts, you'd probably get a little desperate yourself.

:rolleyes:

If I were a resident I'd want to lynch the city administrators.

bulbvivid
10-09-09, 20:44
U.S. Mystery 'Police' Force Has Small Montana City on Edge (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,562600,00.html)

Controversial Private 'Police' Force Quits Effort to Take Over Montana Jail (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,563401,00.html?test=latestnews)

Shadow1198
10-10-09, 11:58
How is this guy not back in jail again?

montanadave
10-10-09, 16:39
The Two Rivers Detention Facility was a financial boondoggle from jump street. The only people to make money on this tar baby were Municipal Capital Markets Group and Herbert J. Sims and Co. (the companies that brokered the bonds) and Hale-Mills Construction (who was guaranteed $20 million to build this albatross).

According to a memorandum from the State of Montana Legislative Audit Division ( http://www.cor.mt.gov/content/Resources/CorAdvCouncil/Archive/February2008/AuditorReport.pdf ), the feasibility study conducted PRIOR to building the Two Rivers Detention Facility was flawed and included "a number of assumptions made related to financial viability that appear to be unfounded" and "without any historical information or methodology, there is no way local officials can validate the analysis with any confidence."

This same memorandum also cites multiple financial problems with similar facilities in Texas which failed to generate the revenue stream projected by, who else, the same bond brokers and construction outfit that sold the TRA on building the Hardin jail.

TRA officials didn't do their homework and got duped into building this detention facility by a crew of Texas-based hustlers who have made a very comfortable living building rent-a jails and, desperate to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, they got duped again by a Californian con man. Perhaps it's time the good people of Hardin pulled the plug on the Two Rivers Authority and found some less gullible folks to represent the community's business interests.

As of yesterday, it appears Michael Hilton and the APPF have pulled up stakes and moved on to the next scam. Hilton's spokesperson stated one of the reasons for abandoning the Two Rivers project was that the APPF was not prepared to put up the estimated $1 million required to equip the facility with medical equipment and upgrades necessary for the prisoner population they planned to house in the facility. This after APPF initially told the TRA officials they were planning on spending $17 million on a law enforcement and security training facility adjacent to the jail, providing free health care clinics to the local community, and donating vehicles for local law enforcement.

The community of Hardin can't seem to catch a break on this mess and it's primarily due to the poor judgement of local officials.