PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with LaRue railed fore-end install issues

JoshNC
09-13-09, 14:30
Hey guys,

I have a LaRue 11.0 that I installed on a mid-length Noveske N4 barrel. I just cannot seem to get the handguard installed to the point that it will not rotate. I've re-installed this twice now. I am using a PRI barrel wrench with a proper torque wrench and am also using a strap wrench to tighten down the knurled fore-end nut.

The fore-end continues to be able to be rotated if torqued hard enough by hand.

Am I missing something here?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sam
09-13-09, 15:23
Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK4XzPll9U8

Are you doing anything differently than what he did?

87GN
09-13-09, 17:52
You did install the "keeper" right?

JoshNC
09-19-09, 10:25
Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK4XzPll9U8

Are you doing anything differently than what he did?

Doing it exactly as he did. I am also using Brownell's top rail alignment tool that snugs onto the rail and the receiver in order to make sure the rail is properly aligned with the upper receiver's rail.

The strap wrench I am using has a rubber radiator belt-type strap on it. Is there preferred strap wrench?

I am really perplexed by this. I am a very mechanically-oriented person and this type of thing usually comes as second nature to me.

Yes, I install the keeper/anti-rotation piece with its bolts.

Singlestack Wonder
09-20-09, 13:16
How much rotation are you seeing? If the keeper was installed correctly, the rail can only move a degree or so of rotation.

Romeo Foxtrot
09-20-09, 14:37
as stated before, until you tighten down the bolts, a degree or two of rotation is normal with enough force.

Bowser
09-20-09, 18:19
Good video, tagged for when I get mine.

JoshNC
09-27-09, 18:01
How much rotation are you seeing? If the keeper was installed correctly, the rail can only move a degree or so of rotation.

Very minimal rotation, but noticeable. The keeper is installed correctly and the bolts tightened down on both sides of the keeper.

Guess I'll be stripping this down one more time to see if I can get it right.

JoshNC
01-06-10, 21:11
Well, I took the opportunity while on the phone with LaRue about my OBR (which is being built now) to ask about the issues I was having with my 11.0 handguard. They stated that my barrel nut must be too loose. So I pulled everything down and reinstalled the barrel nut, this time one hole tighter. And alas my problem is solved. It required a WHOLE lot of force to get the nut this tight. But the bolt easily glides into the barrel extension without any binding. I am hoping to shoot a couple hundred rounds through this upper over the weekend.