PDA

View Full Version : Will .40 be cheaper?

last bastian
09-13-09, 20:16
Someone was saying that since so many l.e. agencies and civilians were turning to the .40 that it won't be long until it's more abundant and cheaper than 9mm. What are your thoughts?

RogerinTPA
09-13-09, 21:52
Someone was saying that since so many l.e. agencies and civilians were turning to the .40 that it won't be long until it's more abundant and cheaper than 9mm. What are your thoughts?

Doubtful. It is becoming even more popular since a lot of Agencies and civilians, are adopting the .40, the demand will increase. Most 9mm has reach preObama prices. Not so with .40 and .45. Even 762x39 has dropped after it's prices sailed through the stratosphere. Most ammo prices are hovering around 15-25% above preobama. Unfortunately, the "gouge" is still on in a lot of places. Most ammo prices have declined since POTUS and other Dems, declared that another AWB was off the table for now, since it would mean the end of their political careers if they were to proceed. I have noticed there are some sales of brass .223, coming back down to near preobama prices. They probably gambled and over stocked, and were forced to sell, just like vendors who overstocked on Colts at a premium price, and now are stuck at those prices or will have to sell at a loss. Also ammo plants are catching up so that's another factor as well. I got a flyer the other day from the armory, having PMC Bronze at $329.00 per 1K, if interested: http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/223_ammunition.html XM193, M855 ammo, are still up there though.

Bimmer
09-13-09, 22:20
... it won't be long until it's more abundant and cheaper than 9mm. What are your thoughts?

Not going to happen...

It's a bigger/heavier bullet, a bigger/heavier case, and more powder. To the extent that the price of ammo is the materials involved, .40 is always going to cost the same or more than 9mm. It's not like 9mm is ever going to become some oddball wildcat.

Bimmer

nwcatman
09-14-09, 10:46
Not going to happen...

It's a bigger/heavier bullet, a bigger/heavier case, and more powder. To the extent that the price of ammo is the materials involved, .40 is always going to cost the same or more than 9mm. It's not like 9mm is ever going to become some oddball wildcat.

Bimmer
actually, to a lot of us, it is. (sorry bout that).

ST911
09-14-09, 10:47
Even in the height of the surge, I had little to no trouble getting the 40SW I needed. There were exceptions with certain loads, such as the GDHP. I could get all the HST and Ranger SXT I wanted. 40SW seemed the most stable of duty calibers.

9mm was always in much shorter supply. The saving grace of 9mm is that there were comparatively more options to choose, even if they were suboptimal. Something would usually come available.

While a bottom end 40SW round might be cheaper than a decent 9mm round, the former is rarely cheaper than the the latter, nor will it ever be. However, 40SW is an unforgiving round and going to a bottomfeeder loader is an especially bad idea in that caliber.

Supplies are improving, as is pricing. I don't think I'll be getting .223 55gr ball for $7.70/50 anytime soon, but it's getting easier to breathe.

Bimmer
09-14-09, 11:01
actually, to a lot of us, it is. (sorry bout that).

It is for me, too, because I don't have any guns chambered for 9mm... I keep 9mm brass for a friend who shoots 9mm and might someday want to start reloading it.

Nonetheless, my point is that 9mm is not going to become a freakishly rare cartridge like .30 Russian or .38 McMurphy.

buckshot1220
09-27-09, 11:04
I agree with an above poster that the increased cost of materials in making the 40 will prohibit it from dropping below 9mm prices, at least for a very, very long time. Regardless of who moves to 40, there are still gonna be metric f*cktons of 9mm guns out there that need to be fed. Don't forget Europe and NATO too.

And yes, metric f*ckton is a recognized numerical reference value in both the inch and metric world:D

Ak44
09-27-09, 15:46
Even in the height of the surge, I had little to no trouble getting the 40SW I needed. There were exceptions with certain loads, such as the GDHP. I could get all the HST and Ranger SXT I wanted. 40SW seemed the most stable of duty calibers.

Indeed I had an easier time finding good .40cal during the surge early this year than any other caliber.

Abraxas
09-27-09, 16:24
In answer to your question..NO. While the .40 is doing well here we are for the most part the only country using it, yet MANY other countries are still using 9mill with no signs of changing. Plus our military is still using 9 and NATO, and many of PD's still use it. So again I don't see that happening

cougar_guy04
09-27-09, 17:06
Even in the height of the surge, I had little to no trouble getting the 40SW I needed.
While I don't shoot/own any .40, I'd agree with this. Local Wal-Mart has been sitting on a decent supply of .40 ball ammo, but 9 and 45 is still hit and miss (mostly miss). Even rifle ammo is more abundant than 9 and 45, which sucks because I need some 9 for a major USPSA match coming up.

kaiservontexas
09-27-09, 22:49
The only .40 S&W I saw for sale during the panic was defense ammo, e.g. Federal Hydroshok. I did not see FMJ for sale.

I own a .40 S&W Baby Eagle. I like the cartridge. I like 9mm as well and could not pick between the two. I do not think .40S&W will ever over take 9mm. There are so many 9mm handguns out there in the world.