PDA

View Full Version : Future Weapons tonight...

Dave L.
02-12-07, 21:39
Anyone (fellow members of the Couch Militia) watch Future Weapons on Discovery tonight?
It hasn't aired out here in Hawaii yet but will in a few hours- just wondering if anyone thought tonights episode is worth watching?

All I heard was they were going to go over the same damn "land warrior" system the Army has been throwing money into for the last 10 or more years...and still hasn't seen action.

Dport
02-12-07, 23:22
The V-22 and .50/25mm are worth watching.

They did a segment on the Army's future warrior system. I'm still convinced it's information overload, but then again, I've never been infantry.

Dave L.
02-13-07, 00:19
I have never been a fan of the "land warrior" system, I believe it just adds to the "quantity over quality" factor of the military; those of us who have served have watched the standards drop over the past 5 years.

War is not a "point and click" game as some would have us believe.

FJB
02-13-07, 04:06
I have never been a fan of the "land warrior" system, I believe it just adds to the "quantity over quality" factor of the military; those of us who have served have watched the standards drop over the past 5 years.

War is not a "point and click" game as some would have us believe.

Brother, say it isn't so!! Surely, the beltway bandits will want to string you up as you are advocating saving billions of dollars better spent on improved training and more ammo/ trigger time vice high tech gear to compensate for the current lack of the latter.

S/F

Jay Cunningham
02-13-07, 04:16
The OCSW is very worthwhile and the technology apppears to be mature. A powerful asset to have in most environments.

Dave L.
02-13-07, 21:52
Brother, say it isn't so!! Surely, the beltway bandits will want to string you up as you are advocating saving billions of dollars better spent on improved training and more ammo/ trigger time vice high tech gear to compensate for the current lack of the latter.

S/F

I could see 1 guy on a team wearing that thing. I would put it on my RTO, he will be in constant coms with the rear and other teams and could shoot around corners/go thermal...but to strap up a bunch of kids who probably cant shoot open sights anyway seems ridiculous.
The system also my be great for force protection...like gate guards and designated marks men counter sniping missions where you are static.
It's hardly a force multiplier- I would use the land warrior system for hunting deer at night(if that was legal), besides it was probably designed by people with ZERO special ops experience.

I would love to ask LAV what he thinks if that setup!

Rayrevolver
02-13-07, 22:46
It was nice to see something in the media that was not negative regarding the CV-22.

rayray
02-14-07, 22:03
I really like that show.

SinnFéinM1911
02-15-07, 09:46
We did a Furture Weapons show here for the Mk 46 and Mk 48 a couple weeks ago, and working to a SCAR show. Who knows !!

Nathan_Bell
02-15-07, 10:05
It's not just the military that is trying to put hardware in place as a replacement for training and experience. The company that I used to work for had three operators who had at minimum 15 years experience running equipment, these guys could eyeball cuts and fills close enough that the walkthrough with the laser was nearly an afterthought.
Well the new dozer that was bought has all the bells and whistles on it that idiotize the operation to the point that I am able to run a dozer at their level of speed. Thing is, what happens when the $50,000 system goes splat? With a non trained operator on the machine, nothing is gonna happen as I don't have a clue how to do it without the gizmo. Chuck, Gary, or Rick on the machine would hardly slow down if the system puked.

FJB
02-15-07, 10:13
Nathan,
You hit the nail on the head. Technology/equipment is suppose to enhance existing skill sets not replace them. However, the tech stuff is so expensive that the management sells it to the bean counting weenies in terms of "man hours" or rounds of ammunition saved etc. in training. Works for them as they are not put in harms way or have to ensure road built drains properly.

S/F

John_Wayne777
02-15-07, 11:09
We did a Furture Weapons show here for the Mk 46 and Mk 48 a couple weeks ago, and working to a SCAR show. Who knows !!

You guys should hook up with Jim Scoutten from Shooting USA and let him do an entire episode on all the wonderful toys you guys are making these days.

...Even if the idiot gun laws won't allow us to own everything you produce, it is still great for inducing drool....

And there is just something about watching a belt-fed work that makes me all happy inside....:D