PDA

View Full Version : Rust

Mac5.56
09-13-09, 23:49
Hey All,

I couldn't think of a good place for this, so if the mods want to move it that is awesome, but I didn't want to put it in AR Technical because it is just to general for that. I figured maybe it could go here???

Anyway, I have a major problem with rust. I hate to admit it but I do. A friend of mine who rock climbs calls me a "Rust Paw", guess that's a term for people like me...:mad: I grew up in the Red Desert, I'm not use to humidity in anyway, and to tell you the truth I hate it. Ever since I've started living in the muggy nasty high humidity area that I am in I have noticed that a ton of my stuff gets rusty quickly. I treat my guns like babies, and minus a few spots that need to be re-finished on an old 30.30 I don't have rusting issues.

But how do you all deal with rust on thinks like knives and other equipment? A friend gave me a new Benchmade for my birthday even though I just bought a Griptilian a few months back. I noticed with both knives that after only a few days of pocket carry that they both got rust spots. I've pulled out a few other pieces of equipment recently and noticed the same. So what should I do? Oil the hell out everything I own or what???

bkb0000
09-13-09, 23:57
damn dude.. you must have an odd PH and sweat alot. i live in rainy NW oregon, and none of my gear rusts unless i neglect it.

use a metal preservative.. like PB blaster or even CLP, if you have some. i bet it'll at least help.

you'd probably be a good T&E guy for Ben's Secret Sauce.. want a free bottle? PM me your address... it's got a metal conditioner in it.

Thomas M-4
09-14-09, 00:00
Short answer I oil the hell out of everything. I have found that CLP works wonders on tools , locks and pretty much anything else. Funny I don't use it on my guns normally unless I am out of Mobil1 .

Mac5.56
09-14-09, 01:30
damn dude.. you must have an odd PH and sweat alot. i live in rainy NW oregon, and none of my gear rusts unless i neglect it.

use a metal preservative.. like PB blaster or even CLP, if you have some. i bet it'll at least help.

you'd probably be a good T&E guy for Ben's Secret Sauce.. want a free bottle? PM me your address... it's got a metal conditioner in it.

thanks dude, that makes me feel great! Yea I do sweat a lot ever since I moved out here, it drives me nuts. Thus the rust paw comment from a friend.

Love you too... ;)

I've been simply oiling sh*t when I see the problem, but it's not always working.

zushwa
09-14-09, 02:00
I think for long term storage a good cote of oil works great, but for items that get day to day use sometimes it's not practical.

I've used the Tuf Cloth on knives and stuff and it worked pretty well. They have a Marine/Salt water version too.

http://www.sentrysolutions.com/sentry_solutions_product_detail.php?product_Code=91020

It's a pretty inexpensive option.

TomMcC
09-14-09, 11:49
EZZOXX has been the best rust preventer I have personally used. It dries to the touch. Guns I don't use much get a lite coat, has worked well so far.

Bill Bryant
09-14-09, 12:06
This topic should always include mention of CorrosionX.

http://www.corrosionx.com/

ROCKET20_GINSU
09-14-09, 15:57
All those chemical solvents like CLP, MilTek, tuf cloth are great for guns, but since I sometimes use my blades to slice apples and cut up food I prefer Olive Oil!, it does a pretty good job of protecting against rust and its edible. Give it a try I think you'll be suprised :D Enjoy your benchmades, great production knives.

GU

Heavy Metal
09-14-09, 19:44
All those chemical solvents like CLP, MilTek, tuf cloth are great for guns, but since I sometimes use my blades to slice apples and cut up food I prefer Olive Oil!, it does a pretty good job of protecting against rust and its edible. Give it a try I think you'll be suprised :D Enjoy your benchmades, great production knives.

GU

You should try Ballistol then. It is as non-toxic as Olive Oil and is as good at inhibiting rust as the better modern oils. I use Weapons Shield for the friction points and Ballistol for the outside.

ROCKET20_GINSU
09-14-09, 20:41
You should try Ballistol then. It is as non-toxic as Olive Oil and is as good at inhibiting rust as the better modern oils. I use Weapons Shield for the friction points and Ballistol for the outside.

Thanks, interesting...I took a look at their website and it definitely looks much more environmentally friendly than other CLP's but as far as being safe for consumption, I'm not sure that it is. I'm not an expert by any means but a quick google search and I found this page http://www.firehawktech.com/Ballistol/index.html that states specifically that its not for human consumption. I have no idea of how credible or valid this website is but I'd err on the side of caution and not use it for blades that may touch food, but thats just me, I'm naturally risk adverse :D. I really like olive oil because it was always readily available overseas in the DFAC. But for people who clean / protect lots of guns or metal around kids this might just the ticket...I'll have to keep this in mind for "the future" lol

GU

12XLR8
10-05-09, 02:30

This is good stuff even here in the middle of nowhere ( Hawaii)
The red can is light enough for guns
and the blue is for long storage it doesn't drip off!:)

nfranco
10-07-09, 23:21

ACF-50 is another great one.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php

perna
10-08-09, 03:05
Kinda off topic but related, if you have not dealt with humidity, mold is a problem. Just something to watch out for.

Mac5.56
10-08-09, 12:19
I like Olive Oil I have used it before, and with great success. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

As for mold, yea don't remind me, mold is an annoying evil thing. My first house in NY was absolutely disgusting!