PDA

View Full Version : How important is a warranty to you? + my latest build

zachsm
09-14-09, 00:59
This is my first thread here at m4carbine.net and I just wanted to get an opinion from my experiences after building my latest ar15.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/zachmunsell/img_0007.jpg

10'' MRF, MBUS, denny's super duty BCG, cheapy wilson barrel, cardinal upper and double star lower.

Originally I bought a () BCG and an LPK. LPK went in fine; however I initially had problems with the carrier and I sent it back. When I recieved the BCG, I shot a few rounds and it seemed ok.

Well I took it out to test fire, everything went ok but about 200 rounds in I hear a CLACK and my trigger locks up. Took it apart and I noticed that the top half of my buffer retainer pin went into my FCG! No other problems with the lpk other than that and getting hit with the buffer a few times when I take the upper off.

The BCG was another story. It worked fine but the two times I went to the range (about 100 rnds. each) I took the bolt out and the first two gas rings were broken. First time I thought it was a fluke, but after the second time i took a look inside the carrier there was a small burr inside. I called () and they said they only had a year warranty on their products (a year past since I first sent it in).

How important is a warranty to you? Would only having a 1 year warranty keep you from purchasing something?

Bantee
09-14-09, 01:20
Wouldn't b:)stress items.Hope you enjoy your build.

Mac5.56
09-14-09, 01:41
Awesome socks!!!

Seriously, though I don't know your level of experience, but to answer you question mine is minimal when it comes to an AR. I am however completely capable when it comes to the use of tools, fine craftsmanship, following instructions ext. I've taken guns apart before just to do it, you know on a whim, put them together, and had them function wonderfully. But that said, I don't trust myself to spend 6,00 - 1,000 dollars on parts and manufacture an AR having minimal experience using one, been taught by a human how to assemble one, ext. Therefore I spent a few extra hundred dollars and bought one with a warranty that I could use and abuse, and learn with. And the warranty means I can break it with reasonable use and not feel too bad. So yea, it's important. I love how easy to learn the M4 is, but I can tell you that after watching this forum for 1 year + there is more then one thing you can screw up when trying to build your own.

Your problems sound like you forgot something (or better yet multiple things). For example your buffer spring shouldn't be smacking you in the face!

zachsm
09-14-09, 02:13
Awesome socks!!!

Seriously, though I don't know your level of experience, but to answer you question mine is minimal when it comes to an AR. I am however completely capable when it comes to the use of tools, fine craftsmanship, following instructions ext. I've taken guns apart before just to do it, you know on a whim, put them together, and had them function wonderfully. But that said, I don't trust myself to spend 6,00 - 1,000 dollars on parts and manufacture an AR having minimal experience using one, been taught by a human how to assemble one, ext. Therefore I spent a few extra hundred dollars and bought one with a warranty that I could use and abuse, and learn with. And the warranty means I can break it with reasonable use and not feel too bad. So yea, it's important. I love how easy to learn the M4 is, but I can tell you that after watching this forum for 1 year + there is more then one thing you can screw up when trying to build your own.

Your problems sound like you forgot something (or better yet multiple things). For example your buffer spring shouldn't be smacking you in the face!

When the pin broke, it wouldn't retain the buffer. Sometimes I'd forget and pull the front takedown pin first and end up launching the buffer across the room or at an innocent bystander.

I thought about buying an M&P15T, but now that I've built it, I know much more than if I wouldn't have. It was very easy and I saved a good amount of money. Didn't need a chrome lined barrel, MBUS instead of troys, slightly used rail, used ctr, and less taxes adds up to a good amount of money in the end. The only bad thing is I do have to part it if I need to send something back to get it fixed.

Safetyhit
09-14-09, 08:40
How important is a warranty to you? Would only having a 1 year warranty keep you from purchasing something?

I think the answer to this question can vary with projected use and manufacturer's quality control, but certainly the longer the warranty the better.

It does seem as though you are having some bad luck. Either that or some of the components are simply sub-par. At this point I would just make sure to replace any damaged or malfunctioning components with the best quality replacements possible. They can be found at a variety of dealers here in this forum.

Blankwaffe
09-14-09, 16:32
The broken buffer retaining pin needs to be investigated.If the buffer is making contact with the buffer retaining pin in use then the buffer face will show peening.So you need to look for that and report back the findings so one of the armorers can comment on a solution.
The burr in the carrier eating your gas rings....if Colt will not do anything about it then the only answer is to dress the area yourself.
Warranties...they only cover defects in material and manufacture.They do not cover wear and tear,which in most cases is what happens.Unless you buy a complete weapon I don't know of any manufacturers that offer more than a year warranty,particularly on individual parts.
If you assemble a weapon from parts at home the manufacturer is always going to suspect your assembly and point fingers in your general direction.So that can just be expected.
That said any company Ive dealt with that were worth their salt would at least take a look at the part and if its determined a defect in manufacture they replaced it no matter the purchase date.
For instance I went through a similar issue with LMT recently.Pulled a BCG out of the bag that I bought over a year ago as a spare and found it had a defect.Contacted LMT and they wanted to look at it...sent it back and they replaced it no questions asked.
Had similar experiences with Armalite as well over the last decade.
Ive yet to have/see any issues with my BCM gear,but I'd bet my last dollar that if a BCM part was not beat to death and it had a manufacturing defect Paul would take care of it.
Otherwise,if a warranty is important to you then choose a manufacturer that has a lifetime warranty and buy a complete weapon to get it.Or at the very least spend your money with manufacturers that are concerned with customer service and performance of the products they sell.
HTH