PDA

View Full Version : Staked Bolt Carrier

Shihan
02-12-07, 23:04
Hello has anyone who has purchased a new AR complained that the bolt key wasnt properly staked to the manufacturer? Im sending one back for repair it looks like and wonder if thats something they would do if I complained?

Thanks

John_Wayne777
02-13-07, 07:19
Improper carrier key staking is one of the most common ailments that ARs have out of the box.

You are not alone.

Now, will the maker fix the problem? I don't really know. I do know there are lots of guys on here (gotM4, for instance) that have the appropriate tools and knowledge to do the job correctly.

You might want to talk to one of those fellows first....

Quib
02-13-07, 07:53
Staking is a pretty basic DIY job. I have done my carrier keys in the past, below is a pic of a factory stake, my stake below that and the tool I use to stake with.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/473710-big.jpg

Shihan
02-13-07, 19:24
Thanks for the pics. I have seen different type of stake jobs in the past could some of you good people if not inconvient could you show some pics of good stake jobs. The one on my new piece of jumnk M&PT looks like some one hit the top area where the screws are with a flat head screwdriver.

Thanks again

Stickman
02-13-07, 21:25
Staking is a pretty basic DIY job. I have done my carrier keys in the past, below is a pic of a factory stake, my stake below that and the tool I use to stake with.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/473710-big.jpg

Those are well done, and I would have thought they were factory if you didn't mention it.

Quib
02-14-07, 07:20
Those are well done, and I would have thought they were factory if you didn't mention it.

Thanks Stick. :)

AR-15A3
02-14-07, 15:27
If you send your carrier back and their stake process is the same, I don't think that they'll fix it.

You could either maybe send it to Grant of G&R Tactical and ask him if he could do it for you or you could buy a properly taked carrier from him, then just sell your old carrier.

Other properly staked carriers I know are Colt, FN, LMT and only reworked CMT that G&R Tactical and others sells.

Shihan
02-16-07, 05:27
Thanks for the infor gentlemen

Mattallica
02-17-07, 18:25

You said the top one is factory, (as in not staked) and the bottom one is after you worked on it, (Staked) did I get that right? I ask cause I see no difference between the two lol except one is cleaner then the other lol

Mattallica
02-17-07, 21:26
You said the top one is factory, (as in not staked) and the bottom one is after you worked on it, (Staked) did I get that right? I ask cause I see no difference between the two lol except one is cleaner then the other lol

haha well, again, I turned my homie, google.com and found out all I need to know :)

I now understand what you guy's were talking about, it would have helped if I knew what was what then I wouldn't have had the big question mark above my head lol I do know though :)

Proper Staking of carrier key screws. (http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=122)