PDA

View Full Version : I broke my 1911 help me.

alvincullumyork
09-15-09, 22:49
So I couldn't leave well enough alone and strip my Kimber all the way down to basically the frame as per these instructions ( http://digitalmalice.com/Series%20II%20Disassembly.pdf ) and cleaned and oiled. I then proceeded to put it back together using these directions ( http://digitalmalice.com/Kimber%20Se...20Assembly.pdf ). I then did a basic function test and every thing worked except the thumb safety. With the gun cocked and locked I can squeeze the trigger and it will dry fire and the thumb safety goes down. Is this something that I can fix or am I going to need to send it off?

sff70
09-16-09, 00:42
When the thumb safety is engaged on a cocked hammer, the lug on the safety is supposed to keep the sear from moving, particularly if pressure is applied to the trigger.

Did you buy this gun new? How old it it? Has anyone hacked it up? Did someone install ANY aftermarket parts (including those advertised as "drop in")? Did it fail in this same manner prior to disassembly/reassembly?

Possibility 1: you put it together wrong. One suggestion: be sure that the left leg of the leaf spring is on top of (aft of) the sear, and not under (forward of) it.

Possibility 2: you have a poorly fit thumb safety.

You really need to get it to someone who knows what they are doing (and/or Kimber) for inspection and diagnosis of the problem, for a potential fix.

Of course, until it is fixed, do not let live ammo come anywhere near this pistol.

Keep us updated.

ThirdWatcher
09-16-09, 03:52
You really need to get it to someone who knows what they are doing (and/or Kimber) for inspection and diagnosis of the problem, for a potential fix.

I concur. IME, most 1911 parts do not 'drop in'. If you're going to carry a 1911 (and I do), you gotta have a gunsmith who is good with 1911s to work on it. After a mishap like yours, I swallowed my pride and carried my duty 1911 (which now consisted of several parts in a box) to a pistolsmith recommended by a fellow officer (and 1911 aficionado). He put it back together better than it was originally assembled. (He is now on my Christmas List.)

I own other types of auto pistols which are easy to work on (H&K's & Glocks) but I leave my 1911s alone.:)

bgoode
09-16-09, 06:39
If it worked before you did what you did you put it together wrong I am guessing. Restep your steps again.

alvincullumyork
09-16-09, 13:01
Did you buy this gun new? How old it it? Has anyone hacked it up? Did someone install ANY aftermarket parts (including those advertised as "drop in")? Did it fail in this same manner prior to disassembly/reassembly?

Keep us updated.

I am the first owner and I haven't put any aftermarket parts in it and this is the first time this malfunction has happened. i tore it apart and put it back together per those directions at least a dozen times to no avail. I am going to try and find someone who knows what their doing. Anyone know anybody around Corvallis Oregon who knows anything about 1911?

Thanks for the help in advance.

theJanitor
09-16-09, 14:00
So with the hammer COCKED, the thumb safety UP, and the grip safety DEPRESSED, you can pull the trigger and the hammer drops? When the hammer falls, the thumb safety goes DOWN, by itself?

alvincullumyork
09-16-09, 17:44
So with the hammer COCKED, the thumb safety UP, and the grip safety DEPRESSED, you can pull the trigger and the hammer drops? When the hammer falls, the thumb safety goes DOWN, by itself?

correct

nogoodnamesleft
09-16-09, 19:44
When you reassembled, did you re-install the detents and plunger spring (located on the left side of the frame)? Those are the parts that would help to "hold" the thumb safety in the up (locked) position.

Although, I can't understand how the hammer could be released from the sear if the thumb safety were fully up and the sear and hammer were installed correctly, as the safety physically blocks the sear from movement. Now, if the safety didn't have the detents pushing on it, then the safety could move to down with less force and allow the sear to release the hammer.

sff70
09-16-09, 22:21
Judging from the update, sounds like you need a new thumb safety fitted to the pistol.

Suggest you contact either Scott Springer Rob Shepherd.

Both are within a reasonable drive of Corvallis and do 1911 work.

http://www.springerprecision.com/

http://www.m9guns.com/

alvincullumyork
09-17-09, 01:29
When you reassembled, did you re-install the detents and plunger spring (located on the left side of the frame)? Those are the parts that would help to "hold" the thumb safety in the up (locked) position.

I did remember to put the detents and spring back in, surprisingly I only had three left over parts when I was done. :D

Judging from the update, sounds like you need a new thumb safety fitted to the pistol.

Suggest you contact either Scott Springer Rob Shepherd.

Both are within a reasonable drive of Corvallis and do 1911 work.

http://www.springerprecision.com/

http://www.m9guns.com/

Thank you very much for the two links and I have a line on another guy but it kinda sounds like he does mostly hunting rifles so if he falls through I will try Rob.

nogoodnamesleft
09-18-09, 10:15
One last thought and something easy to check. When re-installing the thumb safety make sure it is fully inserted flush to the frame. There is a notch cut on the shaft that keeps the safety from sliding out of the frame when it is in the locked and unlocked positions. If it is not fully inserted into the frame, the notch may not lineup with the frame preventing the safety from fully rising to the UP position and just barely touching sear. In such a position, pressing the trigger could force the safety to drop down and release the sear.

There should be no noticeable gap between the inside edge of the flange on the safety and the frame. If it were not fully inserted, you could see the gap by looking from the back and top edges.

This all assumes the thumb safety was properly working before you detail stripped the pistol and there was no modification of the parts while the pistol was apart.

Good luck.

SGT D USMC
09-19-09, 23:43
I live in Salem and know Rob, I can certainly recomend him.

alvincullumyork
09-20-09, 11:27
There should be no noticeable gap between the inside edge of the flange on the safety and the frame. If it were not fully inserted, you could see the gap by looking from the back and top edges.

Their was no gap I got it all the way back in.

I took it to a local smith and he took the safety and peenned some of the metal back into place and put it back in good as new.

bobafett
09-20-09, 18:18
Their was no gap I got it all the way back in.

I took it to a local smith and he took the safety and peenned some of the metal back into place and put it back in good as new.

But you gotta ask why did it have to be peened back into place? If it's that weak I'd replace it. When MIM is done right it's as hard as Chinese arithmetic, when it's done wrong it's nothing more than pot metal. I'd replace it!

alvincullumyork
09-20-09, 22:07
But you gotta ask why did it have to be peened back into place? If it's that weak I'd replace it. When MIM is done right it's as hard as Chinese arithmetic, when it's done wrong it's nothing more than pot metal. I'd replace it!

I know why it had to be peened back into place. It is because of my stupidity and if it gives me problems again it will be replaced.

matrxx
09-21-09, 15:42
When the thumb safety is engaged on a cocked hammer, the lug on the safety is supposed to keep the sear from moving, particularly if pressure is applied to the trigger.

Possibility 1: you put it together wrong. One suggestion: be sure that the left leg of the leaf spring is on top of (aft of) the sear, and not under (forward of) it.

Possibility 2: you have a poorly fit thumb safety.

Of course, until it is fixed, do not let live ammo come anywhere near this pistol.

Keep us updated.

what he said, you may not assembly it correctly, look at one of the 1911 diagram online, and re do it.You will be fine.I had that type of problem before at least twice before I figure it how it works.