PDA

View Full Version : best lower parts kit?

htxred
09-16-09, 10:05
Opinions on the best lower parts kit? i was told that g&r tactical had one that they grabed pieces from different manufactures and threw it all together to make one kit but i cant find it.

any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

bkb0000
09-16-09, 10:08
complete LMT lower receivers.. best value in lowers. i know that's a half-ass answer, but it's the best answer.

htxred
09-16-09, 10:54
thanks. now if i can get an answer where you already have a lower... lol

Thomas M-4
09-16-09, 10:59
S.A.W.
http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/LOWER_REC_PARTS_KIT_COLT_0_155_SEMI-262-4.html

They are colt LPK you will pay the premium for them.

jkingrph
09-16-09, 13:25
So far the best I have found is Brownell's. I found everything I needed at blackrifleworks.com, but it totaled up as much as Brownells, but did not include a grip.

roadrunnertactical
09-16-09, 13:38
armalite has some great products and are fast with shipping. I have ordered stuff from them and made my own when you couldn't find complete kits and was completely satisfied with the service and pricing. www.armalite.com

sadmin
09-16-09, 13:44
i like the ones from anvil arms

nfranco
09-16-09, 13:55
Opinions on the best lower parts kit? i was told that g&r tactical had one that they grabed pieces from different manufactures and threw it all together to make one kit but i cant find it.

any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Start here: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=GRTA
and add all the parts you need to your cart.

bkb0000
09-16-09, 20:26
So far the best I have found is Brownell's. I found everything I needed at blackrifleworks.com, but it totaled up as much as Brownells, but did not include a grip.

I'm almost postive brownells doesn't make an LPK, and if they did, I wouldn't trust it for anything. you probably have a bushmaster or DPMS LPK that you ordered through brownells.

armalite has some great products and are fast with shipping. I have ordered stuff from them and made my own when you couldn't find complete kits and was completely satisfied with the service and pricing. www.armalite.com

armalite LPKs are adequate, probably, but they're not "great." they sure as hades don't fit under "best"

i like the ones from anvil arms

I'm not trying to be a dick with this whole post, but c'mon... you "like" anvil arms LPKs? once again- FAR cry from "best"... anvil is known for crappy gear, and their LPKs are almost certainly re-branded DPMS. this post is not productive..

i'm not a moderator, and my own suggestion above was off-mark, but let's try to keep the posting un-pointless. do it for the children. and puppies.

sadmin
09-16-09, 20:58
sorry for the submission.

bkb0000
09-16-09, 23:15
sorry for the submission.

now you gonna make me feel all bad...

---------------

in the spirit of not being a hypocrite:

if you can happen to find an LMT LPK, that's gonna be the best combination of price/value- but they're extremely scarce. Colt LPKs are right up there with quality, but they're more expensive than even the ultra rare LMT LPKs.. so you're gonna have to pay for quality with that. I have no experience with Grant's LPKs- but he knows his shit, has a long standing good reputation, and says they're really good- but again, availability is basically nill as far as i know- Grant, if you have LPKs avail, correct me.

Next up we're looking at CMT/stag- these are perfectly good LPKs- not the "best" (that term is highly subjective anyway), but they're solid. They have a reputation for putting out in-spec quality parts, just don't buy their complete guns.

Nobody can order the rest... Armalite, RRA, Bushmaster... these three also make a good LPK- I've had perfectly acceptable results with all over the last decade.

DPMS lpks are not widely loved, and I stopped using them just because of other people hating them so much, but I'd never had any problems with them beyond crappy triggers, and really haven't even heard that many specific reports from other people. I'd use one if everyone else was 6 months out- but since, these days, CMT LPKs are readily avail, why "risk" it?

there... hopefully that's somewhat useful.

Iraqgunz
09-16-09, 23:56
I have a Stag kit that I purchased a few months back and upon initial inspection it appears to be very well made. I'll be installing it soon in my new "Zombie" lower.

bkb0000
09-17-09, 00:08
I have a Stag kit that I purchased a few months back and upon initial inspection it appears to be very well made. I'll be installing it soon in my new "Zombie" lower.

something like this?

http://fototime.com/71FF37B79247C1E/standard.jpg

Bill Bryant
09-17-09, 00:14
I recently purchased a Stag lower from an online retailer and then ordered an LPK direct from Stag. I don't have my carbine completed yet, so I don't know if this is a problem or not, but when I put the Stag parts in the Stag receiver the fire/safe selector wouldn't go in after the fire control group had been installed, and I had to remove the FCG, install the selector, and then re-install the FCG. This isn't mentioned in any guide I have found online, so I have to assume that something in the Stag LPK FCG is different from the norm (out of spec? I don't know). The Stag parts do seem clean and well made--that from someone who's spent a lot of time in a machine shop running a lathe and mill.

I mentioned this on another thread and tried to speculate about it a bit. Looking at all the parts carefully, I think the interface between the hammer and trigger is causing this issue and that it would cease to be an issue if a small amount of metal were removed from the curved underside of the hammer all along the curve. This would slightly raise the front of the trigger at the sear end and lower the rear slightly. The disconnector/hammer interface seems to have plenty of room for this to be done without affecting the disconnector's function. I wish I could look at several hammers and see if some have a smaller radius down along the bottom curve.

Bill Bryant
09-17-09, 00:18
Does anybody have a blueprint of the AR15 hammer?

Iraqgunz
09-17-09, 02:43
Here is one of mine. I have two of them in order. These were a group buy from Mega Machine and I believe they only made 500.

something like this?

http://fototime.com/71FF37B79247C1E/standard.jpg

Rider79
09-17-09, 04:35
Here is one of mine. I have two of them in order. These were a group buy from Mega Machine and I believe they only made 500.

I want.

As for the parts kits, are the individual parts Grant has listed the ones that actually go in his kits, or are they just average milspec parts, kinda like how BCM doesn't sell the actual LPK they use in their BCM complete lower (BCM info from a post Grant made regarding the BCM lower)?

SWATcop556
09-17-09, 05:47
The only way to get a G&R LPK is to buy one of his custom lowers. I believe if you purchase all of the parts from his website you have a nearly complete LPK minus FCG and maybe the selector, but don't quote me.

I have had very good luck with the STAG/CMT and do not hesitate to buy or recommend them.

LMT's were very nice but I don't believe they sell just a LPK anymore.

htxred
09-17-09, 08:14
Thanks for the help guys, looks like i'll just get a complete lower next time.

eternal24k
09-17-09, 10:40
I use DPMS a lot, never had a problem. RR is g2g, WOA has been good, but I regret ever buying Anvil, the quality of cast was crap, and trigger pins walk out.

sadmin
09-17-09, 11:05
I use DPMS a lot, never had a problem. RR is g2g, WOA has been good, but I regret ever buying Anvil, the quality of cast was crap, and trigger pins walk out.

great! I just installed one not 2 days ago because someone whom I thought to be knowledgeable led me to them. Install went well, so I recommended it on a cost / value basis. I havent fielded it yet, so I see in hindsight I shouldnt have commented.
Question - I have a KNS set unused, would you recommend I use it with the AA LPK i installed for more reliability? What other parts of the AA lpk have you experienced issues with?
Thanks for the heads up.

roadrunnertactical
09-17-09, 11:30
I'm almost postive brownells doesn't make an LPK, and if they did, I wouldn't trust it for anything. you probably have a bushmaster or DPMS LPK that you ordered through brownells.

armalite LPKs are adequate, probably, but they're not "great." they sure as hades don't fit under "best"

I'm not trying to be a dick with this whole post, but c'mon... you "like" anvil arms LPKs? once again- FAR cry from "best"... anvil is known for crappy gear, and their LPKs are almost certainly re-branded DPMS. this post is not productive..

i'm not a moderator, and my own suggestion above was off-mark, but let's try to keep the posting un-pointless. do it for the children. and puppies.

in response to the reply received, I have to edit my message. In my experience with armalite, they have "great" products. I say this because after looking at what was offered through brownells (which are third party companies such as DPMS and RRA) the price is much more manageable for someone who is on their first try at completing a lower receiver. I have not had any problems with the trigger group pins walking and/or much difficulty installing them. Also, for the price you can afford to order a few extra springs (takedown pins especially) without breaking the bank. Overall, for the beginner, Armalite has quality parts.

eternal24k
09-17-09, 11:42
great! I just installed one not 2 days ago because someone whom I thought to be knowledgeable led me to them. Install went well, so I recommended it on a cost / value basis. I havent fielded it yet, so I see in hindsight I shouldnt have commented.
Question - I have a KNS set unused, would you recommend I use it with the AA LPK i installed for more reliability? What other parts of the AA lpk have you experienced issues with?
Thanks for the heads up.

I did 2 builds with AA lower packs, the Bolt release is aesthetic mostly (no profound lines, gunk stuck between them), but reeks of poor quality casting or MIM (can't remember, have to look at it later). The trigger pins walked out of both my builds, one I used KNS pins on, the other I took some pins from a DPMS kit. I should mention that these were in 2 lowers, 1 Mega, 1 POF. Other than that, It should be good to go, the trigger issue annoyed the hell out of me since it was a reliability issue and one shouldnt need KNS pins.

Bushytale
09-18-09, 03:16
The Stag parts are normal. You need to install the selector before installing the hammer on any lower assy. Once the hammer goes in the trigger will not drop low enough in the rear to allow the selector to slide in from the side. Most trigger and hammer sets will go in or come out with the selector in place.

Bill Bryant
09-18-09, 08:27
The Stag parts are normal. You need to install the selector before installing the hammer on any lower assy. Once the hammer goes in the trigger will not drop low enough in the rear to allow the selector to slide in from the side. Most trigger and hammer sets will go in or come out with the selector in place.A comment and a question:

1) The selector will go in easily if the trigger has already been installed, but not if the trigger AND hammer have been installed, regardless of the position of the hammer. With the hammer installed, the front sear end of the trigger hits the bottom of the hammer and prevents the rear of the trigger under the selector to pivot low enough to install the selector. Remove the hammer, and the trigger can pivot enough and the selector can go in.

2) Question: If this is normal, why can I find nothing about it in the assembly guides online? Every guide I've seen says to put the selector in AFTER the entire FCG has been installed.

htxred
09-18-09, 09:09
i installed the DPMS parts kit yesterday and put the selector in AFTER i installed the trigger and hammer

jkingrph
09-18-09, 14:04
[QUOTE=bkb0000;454901]I'm almost postive brownells doesn't make an LPK, and if they did, I wouldn't trust it for anything. you probably have a bushmaster or DPMS LPK that you ordered through brownells

I did not mean to imply that Brownells made a kit, although if they did I would be inclined to trust it. I meant to say they were the best source that I had found. They had kits bu DPMS and I think Hi Standard.