PDA

View Full Version : .338 Lapua

Dirk Williams
09-16-09, 15:07
Anybody got any solid data on the 338 Lapua Mag. Right now I'm shooting 92.4 grains of VV N 165. This loads right out of the Sierra loaders book pushing 250 g match bullets with match primers. COAL is 3.680 at 2900 FPS.

If anybody is having very good results with other loads would you mind sharing. Also anybody know of any shops that might have VV-N165, I'm down to my last 4 pounds.

Shooting a custom "TAC 338" Stiller action, sporting a 28 inch #9 Krieger barrel with a Vias brake. Manners carbon stock, timeny trigger with a Schmidt and Bender PMII on top.

Dirk Williams

browningboy84
09-23-09, 23:25
The boys over at Snipers Hide have some loads for it in the Reloading Depot section. Mods, if I have offended anyone by recommending another site, I am sorry, but I use a lot of the reloading data off of that site. There are a lot of very knowledgeble people over there when it comes to precision bolt gun reloading data. Hope that helps, man.

Dirk Williams
09-28-09, 12:18
Thank you Browning , I'm registered on that site aswell, I've never accessed it for sharing or chatting, seems that there's always a glitch and I can't get on. Anyway between that site and this site I seem to have found two really solid sources.

I'm still amazed at the quaility of info found especially on this site.

I was shooting my long guns this past week for practice. The 308 is under an inch, actually the same hole oblonged. Only shot it at one hundred with 20 rounds of 44.5 Varget 168 match bullets in good cases,I used winchester primers this round cuz that's what I had.

The 338 got forty rounds thru it this past week. started at 500y and quit at 800y. What a rifle/round. I would absolutley ****ing hate to get hit with this round" Or any round" This 338 is the real deal and deadly to 1500y.

Shooting 1/2 hardend steel at 800, maybe a five pound chunk of steel. When this round hits, it swings the target straight into the air and after a few moments you hear SPLATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Simply heart warming, I often feel myself getting some wood, I start smiling every time I press the trigger.

Dirk.

sinister
09-28-09, 13:04
Dick, try 94.0 of Reloader 25 or 96.0 of Retumbo. I use Remington Large Rifle Magnum Match or Federal 215M primers.

These are good for a 1-12 TRG-42.

VV-165 tends to give off a big flash -- maybe not a big issue with the Vais brake.

Dirk Williams
09-28-09, 14:48
Sinister thank you, I have some R-25 and plan on loading this week. Ill give it a go. How hot is the round, Is it within spec's and what can I expect.

Federal 215's are gone, using CCI Bench rest until my order get's here. VV 165 dosn't seem to be to bad on the flash, doesn't stand out at least with my rifle. I do like the Vias brake, not into big bulbus brakes that look like they came off of an abrams tank. Most importantly is it works well. Felt recoil is consistant with a 243.

Dirk

sinister
09-28-09, 15:23
They should be good/fast but not overpressure loads. You'll still have radiused primers and some smoke fouling maybe a quarter to halfway down the necks.