PDA

View Full Version : Sig AR?

Fire
09-16-09, 20:27
via http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/ and sigforum

SIG 516

what are your thoughts?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/sig_sauer_sig516-tfb1.jpg

Blob
09-16-09, 20:56
Did they sign some kind of contract with Troy Industries?

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-16-09, 21:42
That is exactly what is missing from the AR15 market... not.

I guess they hope to capitalize on the SIG name to sell rifles. Now a 55x series type upper for a AR lower, that might be interesting.

scottryan
09-16-09, 23:22
Ultra gay and lame especially with the billet lower. They just can't get it figured out.

Releasing a 7" gun proves further they don't have a clue.

Outlander Systems
09-17-09, 00:11
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u216/JW1069/poster37685644.jpg

Priceless.

variablebinary
09-17-09, 01:20
Wow. What the hell is going on over at SIG. Just make the SG551 and stop being stupid. And that shitty mag is still part of the deal.

Is this a concession that the 556 was a stupid idea? If you can beat em, join em, type thing...

Here is more info:

The SIG516 Tactical Rifle line has three different models:

* SIG516 PDW : 7" barrel. A personal defense weapon (pictured above).
* SIG516 CQB : 10" barrel. A Colt M4 Commando equvelent.
* SIG516 BASELINE CARBINE : 14.5" barrel. A M4 Carbine equvelent.
* SIG516 Patrol. 16" barrel.
* SIG516 Tactical Marksman: 16" barrel A squad level sniper / designated marksmen rifle.
* SIG516 Precision Marksman: 20" barrel. Possibly a true sniper rifle, or designated marksmen rifle.

They are all piston operated and feature an adjustable gas regulator like the Ruger SR-556.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/sig516_tactical_rifle_ar_15_m4-tfb.jpg

Who the hell cares? where is this, that's what I want to know?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/60/KoalorkaSG551.jpg/800px-KoalorkaSG551.jpg

Bowser
09-17-09, 01:54
A 551 would be nice.

macman37
09-17-09, 06:56
Ooooooooh! Now I can finally match my AR to my handgun! ;)

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-17-09, 07:20
My guess is that they were starting to get some market feed back that SW could sell them M&P handguns and AR rifles in package deals. If that is true, I wonder how Glock will respond? Just a guess on my part.

andy t
09-17-09, 08:26
Another day, another AR manufacture...I guess this shows how much faith Sig has in their 556 rifles.

ST911
09-17-09, 08:37
At least they didn't dress this one from the Tapco catalog.

Options are rarely a bad thing.

I'd like to see who their subs are, and how they fit in the chart.

Rider79
09-17-09, 08:52
Maybe its the stock and the Ergo grip, but it looks kinda LMT MRPish to me. I'm still curious to see how its put together.

This was at a recent gun show here, I believe he was asking in the $8-9,000 range, new, unfired, with the original box. Maybe closer to 10K, can't remember exactly.

Who the hell cares? where is this, that's what I want to know?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/60/KoalorkaSG551.jpg/800px-KoalorkaSG551.jpg

Outlander Systems
09-17-09, 08:58
What DOES interest me about this is the optic. I'm curious if the mount cowitnesses at all and if not, are the irons still usable.

Trijicon, release the RMR mounts already. Geez.

kmrtnsn
09-17-09, 09:24
"My guess is that they were starting to get some market feed back that SW could sell them M&P handguns and AR rifles in package deals. If that is true, I wonder how Glock will respond?"

Good question. My hopes are; polymer pistol from Austria teamed with a polymer rifle from Austria. Steyr AUG, Baby! Yeah!

JessR45
09-17-09, 11:48
Well after my less than pleasant experiences with my 2 SIG 556 (thankfully gone now), and my current NIB, recent manufacture .40 S&W P229R (rust on some fire control parts, abnormal wear on barrel), I'm not coming within 5 feet of this.... IMHO, way better choices (Colt, Noveske, LMT, DD, etc.) available if I were to be in the M4 market again.

Thanks,
Jess

crazymoose
09-17-09, 13:20
Wow. What the hell is going on over at SIG. Just make the SG551 and stop being stupid.

I hate the shoddy furniture on the 556, but once you put a 551 handguard and a decent stock on it, what is the allure of the original 551 over the 556? The proprietary rock-and-lock mags? The lack of a standard rail? The inability to mount a stock that's LOP adjustable? The extra pound or so of weight? The enormously overrated diopter sights?

I'll concede that the actual cost of a 556 is $400+ higher once you purchase all the accoutrements, but after that it's superior to the 551.

kal
09-17-09, 18:21
WOW, how about tuning the sig556 instead.

Put the charging handle on the left side, easier to reach mag release, among other concerns.

Instead, they bring out another AR.

darrendeep6
09-17-09, 18:34
Nothing innovative. Fix the 556 and drive on. Stupid.

PrivateCitizen
09-17-09, 19:19
I'm sure the Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse crowd will absolutely drool.

JSGlock34
09-17-09, 19:19
Who isn't getting into the AR business now? That list seems to get shorter every day. The market is simply saturated now with AR brands. SIG must be gambling that they can leverage their LE pistol sales into LE carbines sales, but that seems a risky bet considering the plethora of ARs that have hit the market over the past three years.

Abraxas
09-17-09, 19:23
Who isn't getting into the AR business now? That list seems to get shorter every day. The market is simply saturated now with AR brands. SIG must be gambling that they can leverage their LE pistol sales into LE carbines sales, but that seems a risky bet considering the plethora of ARs that have hit the market over the past three years.

Hey when sig entered the 1911 market you had to guess that it was only a matter of time before they made AR's. I am surprised that it took this long.:rolleyes:

andy t
09-17-09, 19:55
The only benefit I can see - those taking a class at Sig Arms academy with loaner weapons will be able to use an AR platform instead of 556.

Ghostrider_911
09-17-09, 20:00
Sweet jeeheezus! *sigh* I'll take an HK (416/MR556) long before I touch a SIG AR. Where oh where are the 551 and 552's? I prefer a SIG that is a legitimate SIG (as a dedicated design) even if they were made locally. I'll just keep dreaming...

JSGlock34
09-17-09, 21:47
Hey when sig entered the 1911 market you had to guess that it was only a matter of time before they made AR's. I am surprised that it took this long.:rolleyes:

Ah yes, the SIG foray into 1911s...yet another smart business move by SIG...

Failure2Stop
09-18-09, 11:16
I really don't understand why Sig won't just build the guns that people want.
How many times has the phrase, or a variation of the phrase, "What I really want is a Sig 551/552." been uttered here or on other forums?
I bet is a whole hell of a lot more than, "Gee, these AR's are ok, but what would really make it dance is the word 'Sig' written on the side."

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-18-09, 12:57
I have a SIG X-Five Tactical and I love it. The problem is that it isn't set-up right for USPSA and as far as I can tell it is just slightly too big for IDPA. With just a little tweaking, I think they could have had a real winner, but now it is just an oddity. If you don't make the guns competitive or legal for matches your marketing dept has something really wrong with it.

Littlelebowski
09-18-09, 14:16
What's next from the marketing geniuses at Sig? A piston AR to compliment their 556 and ARs? ACOG clones made in China with the Sig Tactical name on them? This is getting ridiculous, a dilution of a once proud brand name.

BAC
09-18-09, 16:52
Y'all should read the ongoing discussion on SigForum. If they are pissed, the single loudest fanbase for Sig products, I think that tells you how well this'll go.

Common phrases include:

A Sig AR? Come the hell on.
Where's my damn 551?
Fix the abortion that is the 556.
Fix the quality issues on your pistols.
Sig innovation at its finest.

Good job Sig. :rolleyes:

-B

Heavy Metal
09-18-09, 17:50

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/DavidFricke/guapo.jpg

Safetyhit
09-18-09, 17:51
Ooooooooh! Now I can finally match my AR to my handgun! ;)

I think it essentially qualifies as a handgun.

blhar15
09-19-09, 07:57
Sig needs to get back to basics and provide a U.S. compliant SG 551. That is what everyone wants. Instead they give us the 556 which from the start was a mistake. They at least have the Classic version out, but I still wish they would just have used the standard Sig 551 stock instead of that collabsible thing.

Sig use to be known for quality, I don't think that is the case anymore.

Littlelebowski
09-30-09, 16:30
I thought I'd put everyone's minds at ease and show them proof that Sig is listening to the American gun buying public.

I give you the Sig Golden Dragon and the Scandic Blue. Either one can be YOURS for a little over $3k!

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/X-5-Golder-Dragon-detail-L.jpg

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/X-SIX-SCAND-BL-Detail_L.jpg

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-30-09, 16:57
Ohh, two dragons!

BufordTJustice
09-30-09, 18:58
While we certainly didn't NEED another AR manf, it will only serve to further depress prices. Hopefully we will see pre-obama-scare prices by x-mas. :rolleyes:

kmrtnsn
09-30-09, 19:39
"I thought I'd put everyone's minds at ease and show them proof that Sig is listening to the American gun buying public.

I give you the Sig Golden Dragon and the Scandic Blue. Either one can be YOURS for a little over $3k!"

Apparently the American gun buying public that SIG Arms is listening to is the blinged-out, gansta-rap, crack dealing, street corner thugs driving H2 hummers with Dub rims, now they'll have pistols to match their rides.

Savior 6
10-01-09, 04:07
They must not have fired that guy from Kimber yet. Too bad.

perna
10-01-09, 04:24
I would like one with flames and skulls painted on, and an MP3 player, needs to have a rail so I can mount speakers on it.

Failure2Stop
10-01-09, 16:01
Since this is still in the AR General Discussion forum, let's keep it on topic.

kmrtnsn
10-02-09, 00:01
I guess this is a clear indication that SIG will be offering gold plated selector switches and triggers aand burlwood grips as options on their soon to market ARs. Wow, what a plan to capture market share.

rifleman2000
10-02-09, 11:08
Poor marketing aside, that is a lot of hatred towards a gun that nobody has tested. Jumping the gun, eh?

I don't plan on buying one, I am happy with Colt, but I also love Sig handguns. I am fairly confident that a Sig AR will at least be a quality production, even if it is not what the market wants.

Which I am not convinced of.

scottryan
10-02-09, 13:58
Poor marketing aside, that is a lot of hatred towards a gun that nobody has tested. Jumping the gun, eh?

Every move they have made over the last 10 years has "issues" associated with it. With a track record like that, I wouldn't call it "jumping the gun."

Failure2Stop
10-02-09, 15:06
I don't plan on buying one, I am happy with Colt, but I also love Sig handguns. I am fairly confident that a Sig AR will at least be a quality production, even if it is not what the market wants.

Recent decline in Sig's quality (or maybe QC) in conjunction with their recent embrace of cheap knock-off Chinese accessories gives me the indication that optimism in this venture is more a sign of brand loyalty than an honest assessment of product quality and realistic expectation.

Then again, there are a whole lot of people that buy ARs that are about as close to TDP as a hairdryer and are perfectly happy with them and their airsoft accessories, so even if it is a complete POS there are lots of people that will love them.

I, for one, will wait and see what is actually produced before passing judgement either way other than to say that Sig has a lot of ground to make up.

grunz
10-02-09, 15:49
When I first saw this post I thought it was a joke - I seriosly thought that somebody had photo-shopped the sig logo on any old AR...

Sig jumping on the AR commodity bandwagon when you are also marketing a proprietary design in the Sig 556 is pretty ****ing retarded.

civiliansheepdog
12-22-09, 10:44
Just hate that they had to use LWRC's bolt! Why does a huge company like Sig feel the need to copy or ripoff another! Of course, Colt asks that question all the time!:p

BSHNT2015
12-24-09, 17:04
According to my copy of the American Rifleman magazine, the Sig516 is priced at $1300.00 for the 16" bbl version. Anyone shoot it yet?

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-24-09, 17:20
I'd rather have a cigar than a SIG AR.

LWRC or SIG.... Sometimes a Sig AR is just a Sig AR.

Why not just use the op system from the 556 so you can have a foldable stock? That to me is one feature that all the different piston versions, except for a couple like the ZM, lack.

threefeathers
12-26-09, 15:29
I wonder if they will use the gas system of the Sig 556 and why this was necessary.

baffle Stack
12-26-09, 15:45
------------

scottryan
12-26-09, 15:57
Another wannabe gun...

halo2304
12-26-09, 18:28
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/halo2304/Guns/SIG516A.jpg

-Or-

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/halo2304/Guns/SIG516B.jpg
:p

William B.
12-28-09, 21:50
According to my copy of the American Rifleman magazine, the Sig516 is priced at $1300.00 for the 16" bbl version. Anyone shoot it yet?

I just got my copy of American Rifleman. From what the article says it looks GTG to me. 1/7 barrel, mil-spec buffer tube, Troy rail, LMT stock, etc. I was able to handle one for a minute at the Modern Day Marine Expo and, for what it's worth, I didn't see anything to complain about. As long as the parts are up to par and the weapon works reliably I don't see why it would be bad to have a Sig-made AR15 on the market.

User Name
12-28-09, 22:12
Is SIG set up to do this "in house" or are they farming it out? I'd like to know.

William B.
12-28-09, 22:31
Is SIG set up to do this "in house" or are they farming it out? I'd like to know.

The lower pictured in the article looked like a Sun Devil billet lower.

Littlelebowski
12-29-09, 05:55
Has anyone figured whose piston system they're using?

halo2304
12-30-09, 08:08
Has anyone figured whose piston system they're using?

My guess would be they're using their own system. Is any company using someone elses piston system? To the best of my knowledge, everyone is using their own design.

I don't hate SIG, but I'm not going to get overly excited by another AR offering. Just like if Ruger decided to offer a 1911. Now if a company designed a uniquely styled "black" gun of their own, well, now you've got my attention.

Wilco
12-30-09, 09:00
I think it would be interesting to see a Glock AR.