PDA

View Full Version : Emergency channel on walkie talkies???

Drew78
09-16-09, 22:11
Quick question for you guys.

In my daily "kit" bag I keep one Motorola talkabout "walike talkie" in there.

My question is wether or not there is an established channel that is typically monitored for distress calls or emergencys?

Can this be accomplished by using a talkabout radio, or do I need something a bit more advanced?

Any help would be appreciated!

kmrtnsn
09-16-09, 22:42
No, there isn't. The range of these radio precludes that kind of feature. If you are heading back country out out to sea and worried about commo then get a Sat Phone or an EPIRB.

Omega_556
09-16-09, 23:06
Get a HAM radio such as a VX-8R, and a couple good antennas.

Submersible
Dual Ham Band Operation
Wide Band Receiver (AM and FM Reception)

up to 5W on 50/144/440 MHz
up to 1.5W on 220MHz
1W on 50MHz AM

Something like this would be your much better than FRS, GMRS, or GMRS for true emergency commo. Depending upon where you are going and what you plan on doing to really extend the capability of these get a mobile for your vehicle that you can use as a repeater for this handheld and boost your long range capability significantly due to increased power and superior antennas.

citizensoldier16
09-23-09, 13:23
I'm not aware of any FRS emergency channel. The only ones I know of are channel 16 on Marine VHF and channel 9 on Citizens Band. I used to have a CB in my truck and kept it on channel 9...but mostly what I heard was spanish. :rolleyes:

jaholder
09-26-09, 00:58
FRS had no Emergency channel. There was a push to make channel 1 emergency but the problem is the 38 possible PL codes to deal with. You can scream bloody murder on FRS 1 with 20 people on the channel but unless they're on your PL they won't hear you.

It's also pretty well established that designating an emergency channel on an unlicensed radio service is about worthless. Just look at CB.

Drew78
09-26-09, 06:56
Thanks for the replies everyone

Heavy Metal
09-26-09, 11:55
2 meter has one, it is the national calling frequency.

Drew78
10-02-09, 22:08
Thanks for the info fellas!