PDA

View Full Version : My first SBR and first build, Need advice.

TwoSqueeze
09-17-09, 09:48
First off I want to say how thankful I am to everyone at M4C. I have been lurking here for a while and the search function has definately helped me in my build endevors. I am wondering if I can get yall's input on what I have so far and about the upper I am planning to use.

First what I have so far:
Tactical Innovations T15 Lower
WOA LPK w/o FCG
Gissel SSA FCG
KNS Gen II Mod II Anti Roll Pins
Magpul full MIAD in FDE
Magpul CTR in FDE
Magpul B.A.D.
Magpul ASAP
Magpul MS2 in FDE
Plethora'o PMAGS and Ammo:D

Now to the upper. I have settled on a 10.5" upper (considering that I have already sent off my BATFE paperwork. I am looking at the PWS DC-10 upper

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=106&idcategory=

http://www.primaryweapons.com/STORE/PC/catalog/DC10_L_1.jpg

http://www.primaryweapons.com/STORE/PC/catalog/DC10_L_2.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these deticated piston uppers. I have done some searching and have only found people using the piston retrograde kits by them. Everything that I have heard about the retrograde kits has been good but I am still wondering how there actual uppers hold up.

Ouside of that upper I am open to other 10.5 upper suggestions.

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,

TS

TwoSqueeze
09-18-09, 10:45
Bumpety Bump

TwoSqueeze
09-23-09, 09:12
Wow...200 views and no replies!! No love for the thread:(...or just no one with experience in PWS uppers. Oh well, it looks like I may be taking the BCM 11.5 route anyway. Maybe order it with a KAC URX :D

-TS

adh
09-23-09, 09:47
Wow...200 views and no replies!! No love for the thread:(...or just no one with experience in PWS uppers. Oh well, it looks like I may be taking the BCM 11.5 route anyway. Maybe order it with a KAC URX :D

-TS

I've got no experiece with the PWS

I do own a BCM 11.5 (with DD 9.5 FSP lite rail).....hard to go wrong with that

flanntastic
09-23-09, 10:23
i am saving up for the 16" PWS upper, those barrels are nice! i am glad PWS used them, i have the 7" diablo now and its a fun little firecracker

TwoSqueeze
09-23-09, 16:08
I've got no experiece with the PWS

I do own a BCM 11.5 (with DD 9.5 FSP lite rail).....hard to go wrong with that

Yeah I am hearing some great things about the BCM hammer forged barrels, and I already know their customer service is top notch.

I am saving up for the 16" PWS upper, those barrels are nice! i am glad PWS used them, i have the 7" diablo now and its a fun little firecracker

I am def not knocking the barrels that PWS uses. I know they use DD barrels on their 10.5 and 16 inchers, I just don't think I am sold on the whole piston system with proprietary parts.

-TS

TurretGunner
09-24-09, 09:44
save your money and ditch the B.A.D.... Also look into a LMT 10.5 with a Larue or simmilar upper. It will save you a ton of money. Piston AR's are an absolute waste of money.

Kimbo
09-24-09, 10:00
Get a piston upper later....

Adam_s
09-24-09, 10:14
For that kind of money, I'd give Grant at G&R a call, and have him build you a 10.5" (or 11.5") upper. His builds flat out RUN from what I've read, and you'll get better components for similar cash. (Noveske or BCM CHF Barrel, etc)

When I get the $$$ together for my SBR build, and move back out of Alabama in 2yrs, that will be what my plan is at least.

-Adam

adh
09-24-09, 13:11
One thing to add, another reason for building a DI gun with high quality parts is the resale value. MY OPINION is that your DI upper would have greater resale value. If not greater, then resale would just simply be easier/faster with a BCM or LMT with a quality rail (Larue, DD, KAC).

TwoSqueeze
09-24-09, 13:46
Thanks to everyone for the advice. It looks like I am going to stick with the DI route based on cost vs product and the availability of spare parts.

decodeddiesel
10-02-09, 11:31
Thanks to everyone for the advice. It looks like I am going to stick with the DI route based on cost vs product and the availability of spare parts.

Good call. Honestly unless you have a registered lower and will be firing a ton of FA you're better off with a DI.

Lots of great SBR uppers out there...

Noveske N4 Basic 10.5"
Daniel Defense 10.3" Cold Hammer Forged
BCM 11.5" Cold Hammer Forged
Colt 10.3" MK18 Upper
LMT 10.5" CQBR Upper

Any one of these will serve you very well.

Eric Torres
11-16-09, 07:15
save your money and ditch the B.A.D.... Also look into a LMT 10.5 with a Larue or simmilar upper. It will save you a ton of money. Piston AR's are an absolute waste of money.

The BAD can literally save your life. In combat Time is life. With the BAD, peed reloads and double feed clearance times are significantly reduced. The manual of arms is simplified dramatically.

foxjordan22
11-16-09, 20:29
i got the PWS diablo and love it. after shooting that and my 16" DI all day i dread cleaning the DI. the gas piston is easy, way cleaner and i have to clean it way less. almost makes me want to leave the DI at home. im going to look into a piston kit for the 16" or sell it soon.