PDA

View Full Version : Fairfax County Virginia SBR ?

og556
09-17-09, 22:05
I am looking into my first SBR and have a couple of questions to those of you who have registered with fairfax county in the recent months.

My understanding after talking to some folks at a local range is that the sheriff will sign off on a form 1 no problem. If this is the case I won't be doing a revocable trust.

I was wondering what the experiences of those in fairfax county have been lately who have actually done this ?

The first step is to fill out form 1 and request the finger print cards. Will I also need to get two passport quality photos and do these have to be taken any where particular ?

Also if the CLEO signs off on the form 1 will I need to send my lower receiver off somewhere to get engraved ?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm kind of looking for a step by step guide to doing this in Fairfax County if the CLEO will sign off.

Robb Jensen
09-17-09, 22:33
The FFX Co Sheriff does sign. An easy place for photos is Passport photos at any CVS drug store.

og556
09-17-09, 23:27
Will I also need a form 4 or any other forms if I'm registering it as an individual ? Do I need to engrave it with my name as well as city/state ?

Sorry for the stupid questions and thanks for your help.

9mmkungfu
09-18-09, 11:17
Will I also need a form 4 or any other forms if I'm registering it as an individual ? Do I need to engrave it with my name as well as city/state ?

Sorry for the stupid questions and thanks for your help.

Are you making it yourself? Then you just need a Form 1, and a citizenship form too I believe. Yes, it needs to be engraved with the name of the individual listed on the form (or corp/trust etc) and the city/state in which it was made.

og556
09-18-09, 14:23
I've never heard of the requirement for a citizenship form. Is there somewhere I can call to figure out more about the forms items I need to send as well as details of the process specifically for where I live ?

9mmkungfu
09-18-09, 15:25
I've never heard of the requirement for a citizenship form. Is there somewhere I can call to figure out more about the forms items I need to send as well as details of the process specifically for where I live ?

Here:

http://www.titleii.com/TitleII.com/Forms.html

Try the Cert of Comp. I can't look at PDFs right now but I believe that is the one.

og556
09-18-09, 21:13
Sounds good so far guys. I found a good deal on an LMT complete lower receiver with sopmod but it looks like it is marked LEO RESTRICTED etc... Will this be a bad choice due to its marking ?

Its either that or a BCM lower from Grant at G&R w/ CTR stock.

I'm definitely buying a new complete AR-15 Rifle lower so let me know if that changes any thing.

So here are the steps:

1. Purchase lower receiver and send off for engraving (my full name, state and city). After receiving lower I will test it with a known good 16" upper to make sure everything is in working order and not sloppy loose.

2. Fill out and complete following:

a. Form 1 (two copies)

b. Certificate of Compliance (two copies)

c. Two FBI fingerprint cards (where can I get these and do I need to do them in front of an LEO ?)

d. Two passport quality photos.

c. $200 Check made out to Dept. of Treasury.

3. Ask CLEO (FFX COUNTY SHERIFF) to sign off on Form 1 But heres a question on CLEO Sign Off:

I am a 23 year old American born citizen and resident of FFX County. I am of afghan decent though so I don't know what to expect as far as questions go. I just hope my decent doesn't raise any questions from him. I have a valid CCW and have never been in trouble with the law.

4. Send off 2 copies of signed (hopefully) and completed Form 1 and Cert. of Compliance, 2 passport quality photos, 2 FBI finger print cards, and $200 check to the ATF.

Does all this sound about right ? Thanks again for being patient with me guys.

After this it will be time to save up for that BCM 11.5" upper haha.

9mmkungfu
09-18-09, 22:23
The lower marked "LEO/Restricted" won't change anything.

That sounds like a great step-by-step. I wouldn't change anything.

On the other hand, I can't remember who the check was made out to. It may have been BATFE, but it could be Dept. of Treasury. It's been a while since I filled out my last one.

From what I hear, the Sheriff's office won't give you any troubles with signing off -- you should be good to go.

Tennvol12345
09-21-09, 22:29
Just make sure you mail it to the correct address. Form 1 and Form 4's go to different places.

My check was made out of BATFE.

Btw Service Engraving in Herndon does a great job, is local, and is cheap.

You order the fingerprint cards from the ATF, just make sure you use the cards ATF sends you with their code on there, you can order them at the same time you order your Form 1's. The forms are actually mailed from Springfield - but you can't go pick them up.

09-23-09, 11:02
Go to ATF.gov for the Certificate of Compliance-Form 5330.20.