PDA

View Full Version : Generators

PA PATRIOT
09-18-09, 01:41
I need a extra Generator or two as spares for my two bug out locations. Now I can spend a small fortune on some name brand generators or go with the China made versions of Honda brand generators which is call KingCraft. Now the parts are interchangeable between the Honda and the KingCraft so I'M told and remember these are back up generators to the well maintained ones in place. Has anyone used or have comment about KingCraft Generators?

This is what I'M looking at,

http://www.aldifoods.com/us/html/offers/58_9093_ENU_HTML.htm

http://www.aldifoods.com/us/media/offers/01_09_09_20/092009_5276_Generator_D.jpg

Iraq Ninja
09-18-09, 02:36
Interesting subject. I have no idea about your China generator, but recently came across this interesting one...

http://www.tacticalpower.com/images/gen_backpack.jpg

http://www.tacticalpower.com/images/gen_vehicle.jpg

http://www.tacticalpower.com/rugged_tactical_generator_20-0121.php#

I guess you could consider it a bugout gen.

Outlander Systems
09-19-09, 21:21
Everything I've heard about genny's is that Diesel is the way to go.

This could be another great thread. A generator is something on my "when I get a lot more money" list, but it's on my prep list, nonetheless.

Diesel and Solar = Post-Apocalyptic Lap of Luxury

PA PATRIOT
09-19-09, 22:56
These Generators are for my Bug-out locations and are only back-ups to the main units in place. I considered Diesel but there are no local sources near my bug-out locations except truck stops on major hwy some distance from me. I would not venture anywhere near these people magnet hot spots during a SHTF event so smaller sources are much better for tactical reasons. I keeps at least two 50 gallon fuel barrels filled and treated at each location and I have two more empty encase the need arises to have extra fuel on hand. I already have a solar system in place which can handle lighting and water pump needs. I went and picked two of the listed generators up since I can return them within 120 days for a full refund to do a decent eval and see if they are junk or hidden treasure.

I may have forgotten to add they retail for $199.99 each.

kmrtnsn
09-19-09, 23:35
You in Pennsylvania? Is your house heated by home heating oil? If so, go Diesel. You can run your generators on that.

Outlander Systems
09-19-09, 23:39
$199.00 is a steal for a decent generator.

I'll do some homework, but if I'm not mistaken, diesel is easier/safer to store, and easier to treat.

There's a product out there that extends storage time indefinitely. I'll have to dig up the book that I found it in, but I'll post it when I relocate it.

PA PATRIOT
09-20-09, 02:13
You in Pennsylvania? Is your house heated by home heating oil? If so, go Diesel. You can run your generators on that.

My Primary home is in Philadelphia, In state bug-out is in Wayne's county and the deep woods retreat is in the state of Maine just below the Canada boarder. My primary is Natural gas and wood, Wayne's county and Maine is Propane and Wood. No oil at any of my locations. So far the one generator I'M testing has been running for 9 hours on a single 4 gallon tank at 50% load at 19amps, 2390 watts. She has been running smooth and noise out put is about 54 decimals, I have a hush kit which should drop the noise to around 30.

perna
09-20-09, 05:52
If you live where it gets cold diesel might sound good but have you ever tried to start anything diesel in freezing temps? So unless you keep it inside and warm you will be screwed when you need it. Diesel gels in the cold and trying to start one in the cold is near impossible. Thats why people have block heaters for their cars or keep them in a heated garage.

03humpalot
09-20-09, 10:45
If you live where it gets cold diesel might sound good but have you ever tried to start anything diesel in freezing temps? So unless you keep it inside and warm you will be screwed when you need it. Diesel gels in the cold and trying to start one in the cold is near impossible. Thats why people have block heaters for their cars or keep them in a heated garage.

While very true they do sell fuel treatment additives in most gas stations in the snow belt for treating diesel. My truck (06 Dodge Diesel) has been down to 54 below and started with no issues.

PA PATRIOT
09-20-09, 12:42
The test generator ran for 10 hours 16 minutes at just over 50% load before running out of fuel. On board fuel tank is 3.89 gallons and the printed run time at 50% was 10 hours so the generator lived up to its advertised run time. Power output was steady and the generator hummed along without surging. Two things I would like to see up-graded is the fuel capacity and output, 3.80 gallons is not a lot of fuel and while I can replace the current tank with a after market plastic 5.5 gallon version for $22.00 I think it should already be done by the manufacturer. Second all the cloned versions of this generator seem to offer 3500 watts surge, 3000 watts normal for a 6.5 HP OHV engine, this version runs at 3250 watts surge and 2750 watts normal a little under what the others offer in the same size package. The saving grace of this generator is that it only costs $199.99 were all the others in the same class run in the $349.99 to $419.99 range. I'm about to fuel up the second generator and give her the same running load as the first but I'm adding a hush kit to the exhaust to see how well the noise level is reduced and what affect it may have on run time if the kit affects the motors compression, I'll post results later.

kmrtnsn
09-20-09, 13:07
I know a few people in Maine with 275 Gallon home heatng oil (#2 Diesel) tanks in their houses or garages but the house heat has been converted to gas.

drrufo
09-20-09, 13:12
I don't know where you are, but I checked CraigsList for Orange County CA after my neighbor bought a 10k generator.
I found several gens, the one I would buy is 5k contractor gen for 400.00$. It would have to run before I bought it but that seems a good price for something I won't want to use. EVER!

kmrtnsn
09-20-09, 13:34
Don't buy a generator off of Craigslist unless the seller can provide you the original receipt. Craigslist is the worlds largest market for stolen goods.

Jack-O
09-20-09, 21:43
1- costco is your friend
2- Gas is fine. Diesel is better ONLY if you use that fuel as a matter of course, otherwise it's just a hassle in practice. they are also twice the price and twice the weight.
2a- if bad things were to happen you could always make a gas genny run on propane or NG or even alcohol. A diesel would run on bio diesel, kerosene, mineral spirits and even fuel oil with a little dilution and mixing.
3- PRI-G is the best gas treatment product on the market. Seek it out, mail order it if necessary
4- I have a chinese 4500w made by jiang dong engines. Never heard of them but that thing runs like a champ and always starts easy. AWESOME!!!
5-sometimes the low oil pressure sensor will go out and keep your genny from running. learn how to bypass it, and just keep an eye on oil levels. Best Mod I didt to it.

I run a contracting business and have used many generators. Dont rule the cheap stuff out unless you are not mechanically proficient or need a really good warantee.

kmrtnsn
09-20-09, 21:50
Jack-o, the only difference between #2 diesel and home heating oil is the color of the dye.

PA PATRIOT
09-20-09, 22:38
Generator #2 results,

Test generator #2 ran for 09 hours 21 minutes at just over 50% load before running out of fuel. This generator had a no-name hush kit attached which may have resulted in the 55 minute less run time but I'll have to run the same generator without the kit to see if the running time improves. Noise out put was 59 decimals without the kit and 34 with. Chong Qing Dajiang Power Equipment Co. LTD manufactured these generators, they are said to also manufacture motors for Coleman and Honda.

ColdDeadHands
09-22-09, 07:41
We have a Coleman 5500 Watt generator and I won a nice small Cummins generator 2 years ago. Here's some info on the portable Cummins P1700i. (http://www.cumminsonan.com/portable/products/inverter/compare?gensetId=80) We use the Coleman quite often during power outages, it has never given us any problems but it's loud as hell.

ST911
09-22-09, 09:43
I have Troy-Bilt generators, ~3500 watts, gas powered. I went back and forth on wattage, type of fuel, and all the related minutiae. In the end, I just picked a major manufacturer's model with decent wattage at or about the price I wanted to pay. They've run well through various extended outages during deep blizzard conditions (-20 to -40 degrees). They're kept outside but sheltered, with ducted exhaust, and have always started on the first or second pull. Using gas has allowed me to rotate fuel stores between mowers, generators, and cars with regularity. I don't own a thing that's diesel, so that would've been another layer of prep entirely. I keep siphon pumps with the generators so that I can grab fuel from wherever it's found when needed.

If I were to buy another one, as a replacement or additional unit, I'll look for a quieter and more portable unit. One of the 1500-2k watt Hondas seem to fit the bill.

Cold Zero
09-22-09, 09:50
The Honda Generators have a reputation for being the quietest Generators. They also tend to be pricey. But, you can never go wrong with anything that Honda makes. MHO.

Iraq Ninja
09-22-09, 10:37
Shall we talk about wood gasifiers connected to generators?

I have been watching "The Colony" on TV and noticed they built one to run their generator. I have a feeling it is not as easy as they made it out to be. Still, when your fuel is gone, it is a great option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator

ColdDeadHands
09-22-09, 13:18

I have been watching "The Colony" on TV and noticed they built one to run their generator. I have a feeling it is not as easy as they made it out to be. Still, when your fuel is gone, it is a great option.

ditto!

PA PATRIOT
09-22-09, 14:02
Not a bad idea for a bug out location, if it can work to supply a generator with free fuel then I will look into buying a kit to construct one.

Just what I needed another project!

Abraxas
09-22-09, 15:57

Love the idea

sproc
09-22-09, 23:42
How do PTO-driven generators stack up? I've already got a diesel Kubota subcompact tractor. If hooking a generator up to its PTO is nearly as fuel-efficient as a stand-alone generator, seems like a good option. Plus I can use the tractor to bury all the zombie bodies.

PA PATRIOT
09-23-09, 12:05
How do PTO-driven generators stack up? I've already got a diesel Kubota subcompact tractor. If hooking a generator up to its PTO is nearly as fuel-efficient as a stand-alone generator, seems like a good option. Plus I can use the tractor to bury all the zombie bodies.

Why bury the Zombie's? I would burn them in my Zombie gasifier connected to my generators, that way I'M using a renewable energy source and staying "Green" while doing so.

But in reality a coal fired gasifier depending on size and fuel intake maybe the way to go, heating coal is still sold here in PA and from what I have been able to find out is that you can store coal anywhere (No shelve life or damage by the weather), its extremely cheap and is more efficient then wood for a gasifier. I found a person who claims to manufacture coal gasifier's out of a machine shop up near Allentown, PA so I will have to make a road trip pit stop to check out the coal gasifier during my next hunting trip. I'll see if I can take pictures while I'M there and post them up if possible.

PA PATRIOT
09-23-09, 12:18
Just a side note from the testing of generator #2 and the removal of the hush kit. A retest of generator #2 without the hush kit ran for addition 40 minutes before running out of fuel and offered a hair more power. The hush kit must have alter the engines compression which affected its run time but the hush kit did reduce the noise out put of the generator by almost half. I quiet generator is a must during a SHTF event as I would not want to advertise my location and the fact that I have power that could be taken from me. I have been studying ways to even make a generator less noise producing such as removable hush boxes and trenches which direct the noise out put up and not out.

Anyone have idea's about knocking down the noise a generator makes?

ColdDeadHands
09-23-09, 12:42
Anyone have idea's about knocking down the noise a generator makes?

I'd like to know too! :cool:

PA PATRIOT
09-29-09, 21:13
Just for the members who live near a ALDI's store it may benefit you to check to see if they still have the King Craft generators in stock. Many of the stores that still have them reduce the price down to $149.00 to sell off the inventory. I was going to buy two and return the two I already have to save the $50.00 (ALDI has a great return policy) but the ones I have are purring like kittens and why mess with that.

theJanitor
09-29-09, 21:44
i have two Honda eu2000i generators. they are electronic safe and VERY quiet. also my local dealer sold a kit to join the two into a 4000 watt unit.

so i have 4000watt capacity, the flexibility of TWO 2000 watt units, all for less cost than a 3000 watt unit.

12XLR8
10-01-09, 02:37
Honda generators is pricey but you get what you pay for.:)

Luke_Y
10-02-09, 22:21
Any thoughts or experience with natural gas powered generators (usually larger transfer switch units)? Obviously for Bug In- non portable.

We have gas heat/stove so already have service. As far back as I can remember I don't recall ever having a NG outage. But a few ice storms have left us with no electric service to run that gas furnace...

I suppose we could well experience an outage in SHTF/EOTWAWKI situations. But, at that point feeding a gasoline generator will likely be a problem as well. I believe the NG units can run on LP as well?

theJanitor
10-02-09, 22:58
my buddy had his LARGE honda generator converted to propane use, and set up to turn on after the power has been out for a predetermined amount of time. he has several very big fish ponds in the back yard and the fish need constant circulation of water. that generator powers the water pumps/filters/ and his refrigerators/freezers.

crob1
10-10-09, 12:45
Interesting subject. I have no idea about your China generator, but recently came across this interesting one...

http://www.tacticalpower.com/images/gen_backpack.jpg

http://www.tacticalpower.com/images/gen_vehicle.jpg

http://www.tacticalpower.com/rugged_tactical_generator_20-0121.php#

I guess you could consider it a bugout gen.

Except for the camo scheme, that looks exactly like my Honda EU2000 genny. I wonder, if it is in fact, a Honda.

12XLR8
10-11-09, 03:57
Yeah that looks like my honda except for the camo and metal handle with straps

Armati
10-11-09, 10:22
Yep, looks like a Honda EU series generator in different clothes.

I have three of the EU1000I gen sets:

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2GG&modelname=EU1000I&modelid=EU1000IAN

I like it because it uses readily available gasoline, weighs less than 30lbs, is scalable and you can bugout with them or station them where you need them. And, it's a Honda!

The main thing with generators is to keep the power draw close to the normal working load of the gen set. In other words, if you only need 1000w of power, do not use a 10k generator. The Army kills generators like this all the time. Also, surge load is not working load. Like the little EU1000I, it has a surge load of 1kw but a 4hr working load of 800w.

In general, your best bet is to have a few smaller generators. Do a power inventory and think about how much juice you really need. If you plan to install a permanent generator in your home, you may want to look at the large 10k+ natural gas or diesel depending on how you already get your fuel. For a single fuel, in most cases #2 home heating oil will act as a direct replacement for diesel fuel in generators and older diesel engines.

PA PATRIOT
10-25-09, 11:46
Just a heads up on a decent generator deal, Harbor Freight has a coupon in the NRA Rifleman in the November Issue page 45 for a 6.5HP, 3500 Watts Max, 3000 Watts rated, 4 stroke Chicago Generators built generator for $199.99

We have one at are shore summer home and it has worked flawlessly when called on over the past few seasons when the power goes out. While I have never ran it over a extended period of time just a few hours here and there it always started easily and produced steady/even power. I paid $349.00 for mine years ago.

Thomas M-4
10-25-09, 12:31
Love the idea

Got an old turbocharger lying around? How about wood powered turbine generator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfDr-XXuvmo

Nathan_Bell
10-27-09, 18:18
I'd like to know too! :cool:

Depends on what size of a genset you are talking about.

Mine is a monster and we are working out a design for knocking the sound down as much as possible.

16ga steel panels half again longer and as tall as the the unit's factory enclosure coated with bedliner on both sides. Might grab a few rub rails to use as reinforcements to keep it from resonating, at a 20 degree from vertical angle towards the unit. Kinda like a chopped off pyramid. Getting the door right will be 'fun'.

Duct the airflow for the radiator's intake and exhaust through "S" ducts (also coated with bedliner).
According to the generator folks that and a 2" layer of fibreglass insulation on the side of the factory enclosure will knock the sound down a great deal.

ra2bach
10-29-09, 09:54
I may have forgotten to add they retail for $199.99 each.

uh, say what???

bigc3031
11-13-09, 11:04
You can buy an LP/NG kit for just about any name brand genny which gives you the flexibility of gas/LP/NG for whatever may happen in the future.

Not much will beat a Honda genset and the "I" series are light, quiet, and electronics safe.

Some people don't realize how many apliances use electronics that don't work with a "contractor" genny.

crob1
11-13-09, 18:43
The camo version of the Honda will cost you $160.00 more.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/models.aspx?page=models&section=P2GG&category=play

whosyourdaddy
01-03-10, 21:29

sproc,
We had a major ice storm in the midwest last year and my area was without electric for 6 days straight with extreme low temps. I have a 12.5 kw diesel genset in my barn that runs my whole house. We still had our underground natural gas so I had heat and hot water. I had my electrician drop a range recep [50amp] under my electric panel to backfeed the entire house. My neighbor has a small Ford diesel tractor with a PTO setup and it worked flawless for him. I think you will spend less money on the PTO setup since you already have the tractor. We were the only two families that stayed in our area. Real freaky at night because the punks were out to pillage the village especially in the rural areas. I am a firm believer in diesel equipment because the stuff holds up and the fuel will last for long periods if treated. Keep a can of ether on hand for the cold starts. Hard to beat the Kubota stuff.

usmcvet
02-13-10, 22:25
i have two Honda eu2000i generators. they are electronic safe and VERY quiet. also my local dealer sold a kit to join the two into a 4000 watt unit.

so i have 4000watt capacity, the flexibility of TWO 2000 watt units, all for less cost than a 3000 watt unit.

Would you suggest an Olympic or a BCM to someone looking for a primary or second rifle for serious work/defense?

Honda is the way to go. They are expensive but they work and there will be parts when you need them.

Go smaller and you can "bug out" with them. The 1000 and 2000w units are very portable and can run in parallel for more power.

PA PATRIOT
02-16-10, 18:48
Here are the back-up generators that I use and once again they are on sale for $399.99

Stat's

KingCraft 6,000-Watt
Electric Generator
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6,000-watt surge, 5,000 watts of continuous power
Two 120V outlets, one 120V twist-lock outlet, one 12V DC outlet
13-horsepower 4-cycle OHV engine with recoil start
Runs nine hours at 1/2 load on 6.6 gallons of fuel
Includes mobility kit with 8'' semipneumatic tires and handle

http://aldi.us/us/media/offers/01_10_02_14/2x2_generator.jpg

CLHC
12-20-10, 23:15

These are the exact ones I'm looking into. Besides that, I've already had two (2) power outages lasting 12+ hours. Hopefully, that's not and indication of things to come in my neck of the woods. Then again, it's not that we all plan to fail, but a failure to plan.

a1fabweld
12-25-10, 01:48
I'm packing a Lincoln Electric Vantage 400 welder/generator. It lives in the back of my truck 24/7. I've got a fuel pump to transfer diesel from the generator to the truck or v/v. You could literally plug your house into the thing. Fuel economy on it is amazing as well. A Perkins 4 cyl diesel engine runs it. Power output is 10KW on single phase 220V, 17KW on 3 phase, has 4 110V outlets, & puts out 500 amps of welding power.

davidz71
12-25-10, 09:10

This is the setup many RVers are using when they boondock. Honda now has an eu2000i Companion generator that dispenses with the extra kit requirement and you can plug directly into the Companion and then use plugin wires from the other Honda eu2000i for 4000 watts of power. The Companion is just a little more expensive than the standard eu2000i but you don't have the bulky kit hanging off the end of the one generator. I have heard them run a a single and in tandem and they are quiet. I run a Yamaha EF3000SEB inverter generator which has 3000 watt with an extra 500 watts boost for start up in case it is needed. I bought it to run the AC in my RV when boondocking. It weighs around 120 lbs. and I have to have someone help me load it into the back of my truck or I use a set of ramps to load it myself. It has been an excellent, quiet generator. I have been thinking about buying a Honda eu2000i just for its portability. While a generator for a bug out location would be an important consideration, I would also think that I would not want to draw attention to my location with contractor style generators unless I had to way to quiet them.

pilotguyo540
12-25-10, 16:38

This video is great. it really does a good job of describing the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2mvFFuipZE&feature=related

CLHC
12-25-10, 17:39
Honda now has an eu2000i Companion generator that dispenses with the extra kit requirement and you can plug directly into the Companion and then use plugin wires from the other Honda eu2000i for 4000 watts of power. The Companion is just a little more expensive than the standard eu2000i but you don't have the bulky kit hanging off the end of the one generator. . .I have been thinking about buying a Honda eu2000i just for its portability.
The setup of these two is what I'm contemplating. Besides, some of the other larger/bulkier generators from other manufacturers (Ridgid/Subaru for one), though may be well built and run fine, in the end, you get what you pay for. :cool:

PA PATRIOT
01-01-11, 00:27
The more I research different types of generators the more I'M pulled to solar and wind turbine systems due to the limitations of gathering and storing enough fuel during even a limited event. As I always considered solar/wind systems to be cost prohibited I was surprised to learn that prices of such systems are really affordable. The main power eaters are well pump, hot water and indoor/outdoor lighting which now days can be covered with simple solar systems and backed up with small wind turbines. I don't consider the Refrigerator to be a priority and can be lived without. Heat is wood fueled air tight shoves or fireplaces and during the summer cooking is done outside to reduce indoor heat. Now I still consider a generator as a short term gap fill but for long term events ones system has to be self renewing to be practical.

usmcvet
01-01-11, 07:22
The more I research different types of generators the more I'M pulled to solar and wind turbine systems due to the limitations of gathering and storing enough fuel during even a limited event. As I always considered solar/wind systems to be cost prohibited I was surprised to learn that prices of such systems are really affordable. The main power eaters are well pump, hot water and indoor/outdoor lighting which now days can be covered with simple solar systems and backed up with small wind turbines. I don't consider the Refrigerator to be a priority and can be lived without. Heat is wood fueled air tight shoves or fireplaces and during the summer cooking is done outside to reduce indoor heat. Now I still consider a generator as a short term gap fill but for long term events ones system has to be self renewing to be practical.

Which systems do you suggest we look at ? Anything in particular out there.

alienb1212
01-02-11, 20:58
Which systems do you suggest we look at ? Anything in particular out there.

Also very interested. Done some research but always seems to come up with too much/too little information. The all-in-one kits on ebay and such seem to be lacking.

ucrt
01-02-11, 22:09

Just a note: I had to buy ten 5KW - 7KW generators after Hurricane Gustav. We had problems with the China built generators. Mostly with voltage regulation but bad enough to fry a 1 refrigerators, 2 a/c units and 2 computers.

We replaced them all with US made units.

Bulldog1967
01-02-11, 22:23
Any thoughts or experience with natural gas powered generators (usually larger transfer switch units)? Obviously for Bug In- non portable.

We have gas heat/stove so already have service. As far back as I can remember I don't recall ever having a NG outage. But a few ice storms have left us with no electric service to run that gas furnace...

I suppose we could well experience an outage in SHTF/EOTWAWKI situations. But, at that point feeding a gasoline generator will likely be a problem as well. I believe the NG units can run on LP as well?

I also have NG and have been looking into the same thing, sir.

ucrt
01-02-11, 22:28
I also have NG and have been looking into the same thing, sir.

====================================

The NG units are derated for KW and from what IIRC each gas (propane, butane, NG, etc.) has a different derate and different carburetion specific for each gas to get the max power.

npmako
01-03-11, 02:30
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z416/npmako/main.jpg

I've had a couple of these for about a year and would highly recommend them.
Its the Honda Eu6500iS (with dual fuel kit). It will run on Gasoline, Propane, of natural gas with the flip of a valve. 90% of their lifetime fuel supply has been NG
A few others have mentioned Honda's inverter generators and for good reason.
I have two mobile 500kW Diesel gensets and still bring in the 6.5kW Hondas to independently run any more sensitive equipment in the event of grid power loss. The inverter generators really offer that nice sine wave of power which keeps data/comms alive. They are also the QUIETEST portable generators I've ever experienced.
The only problem is.....they are expensive.

High Desert
01-06-11, 10:24
Gentlemen,

Here is an interesting site on long term power generation.

www.utterpower.com

Go to the products and design pages.

I have purchased both the PMG head and the book on home power generation and am extremely happy wtih both items.

HD

prestonoconnor
09-04-11, 09:57
Anyone have any experience with surplus military generators?

juliomorris
09-04-11, 17:32
You can get tri-fuel kits for just about any generator made. I have one on my RV and one on my back-up genny at the house. The Rv runs mainly off of lpg and the house mainly off of natural gas. They are fairly easy to setup which is a plus.

http://www.propane-generators.com/

Mattyd
09-11-11, 09:26
In response to the military surplus generators...
I have one at our cabin in CO that a buddy gave me. It is from the Vietnam era. It had been in his barn for years...fuel all varnished up etc. Took it to the repair place locally and had it services. It is a champ! Two pulls at most and it goes. It is heavy so two men and an ox is what it takes to move it around. Loud as a 747.